Costco Auto Program

NoCa95862

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Bronze Oxide
Curious... Has anyone used the Costco Auto Program to buy their Tacoma?
Sponsored

RollingThunder

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Curious... Has anyone used the Costco Auto Program to buy their Tacoma?
I did and highly recommend it. I responded to your message. I found it was the best discount after shopping around. I got mine a month ago so not sure what the discounts are looking like now at dealers. Beware, not all dealers participate in the program. Beauty of the program is the discount is set. It's pre-negotiated by Costco due to their purchasing power. Eliminates the haggling and games dealers pay. The discount is the discount and they cannot change it. I've also heard that every sale is subject to audit by Costco to ensure dealers are adhering to the program.It feels like Costco is looking out for their members as they should

OP
OP

NoCa95862

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the helpful info. Don't need specifics but can I ask what type of percentage discount you got?

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
When I started this process, I tried Truecar through my credit union. I had low expectations and wasn't anticipating any great offers; I was correct. The few dealers who reached out just sent spec sheets, and nobody was actively pursuing my business. I tried a broker who ended up refunding my money since he couldn't do anything for me. However, I will use him again in the future because nobody was dealing at that time.

Currently, I have a deposit on a truck (as noted in my previous posts) on a Limited that was advertised with a 4.5% discount. It's still sitting in a holding lot in Mexico. If Costco could beat that, it would be worth the $60 membership fee.

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
First, I always preface my Costco related remarks by saying that I retired last April after working for Costco for 31 years so my comments are obviously biased.

That said, I've purchased three or four vehicles now through the Costco program and have always had a good experience. In the case of the Toyota, I placed my deposit in late Feb and took possession of my TRD OR LB in late April. I saved ~$2,800 off invoice, or about 5.6%

Zero hassle. They did have a "green" package which was your basic undercoating/wheel protection, etc... that they were pushing but I said no once and that was the end of it. They had also installed door protection ppf and wanted $250 for it but I simply pointed out it wasn't in the original pricing I had signed and they shrugged and took the price off.

Maybe just as important to me since I was buying a truck not yet built was that the salesman I worked with had been working for the dealership as the Costco program liaison for ~14 years and was fantastic to work with. We worked together to find a truck allocation sooner and to try and find one with the premium package. In the end we could never find another truck within 250 miles (PNW) that met my wants and I took delivery of the original truck we had allocated but George gave me consistent weekly updates or whenever the status changed in their tracker. He probably was sick of me by the time the truck finally came in but he never showed it. Great experience all around!

Sponsored

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
Did Costco allow you to choose options?
The way the program works, you choose your vehicle w/options and then the dealer applies Costco pricing to that vehicle's invoice. In the case of Toyota's allocation-style order process there really wasn't any way to choose options but that's on Toyota, not Costco. Costco has no way to drive inventory. You can only pick from vehicles they already have allocated to them (or the dealer can try and trade w/another dealer if both parties are willing to do so).

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR Base
I got roughly ~8% off MSRP using the program. The trade in value came back extremely soft and we argued over that for a while at the dealership. Probably was a wash in the end, but took away half of the negotiation. I'd always recommend using the program if possible. As others mentioned here, Toyota's allocation system doesn't make it easy to get the trim/packages/color you're looking for at whatever participating Costco Auto Program dealer you've been funneled to.

RollingThunder

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
When I started this process, I tried Truecar through my credit union. I had low expectations and wasn't anticipating any great offers; I was correct. The few dealers who reached out just sent spec sheets, and nobody was actively pursuing my business. I tried a broker who ended up refunding my money since he couldn't do anything for me. However, I will use him again in the future because nobody was dealing at that time.

Currently, I have a deposit on a truck (as noted in my previous posts) on a Limited that was advertised with a 4.5% discount. It's still sitting in a holding lot in Mexico. If Costco could beat that, it would be worth the $60 membership fee.
Most dealers I spoke with were telling me they couldn't beat or match costco's discount. They said truecar and other options like them aren't as competitive.

OP
OP

NoCa95862

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is where mine came in at... No Ca

$925 discount. Not much of a deal... 1.9% Dealer said SR5 deals are much better. Doesn't really make much sense.

2024 Tacoma Costco Auto Program Screenshot_20240630_163241_Photo Editor
Sponsored

Last edited: