Sponsored

Dealers are really pushing the limit... how bad do I want this?

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I've been speaking with dealers on their first allocations... man are they out of control. Some are requiring $5000 ADM. One I found will do $2500 ADM, but are adding almost 2500 in accessories. The best one is the spray on liner for a composite bed. I have others that will do MSRP if I'm willing to wait... I think I will. I'm not paying $57K for a TRD Sport Premium. I could keep my Ranger Raptor order for less.
Sponsored

RaskyR1

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Ram 1500, '91 Toyota MR2 Turbo, '22 Ducati
I've been speaking with dealers on their first allocations... man are they out of control. Some are requiring $5000 ADM. One I found will do $2500 ADM, but are adding almost 2500 in accessories. The best one is the spray on liner for a composite bed. I have others that will do MSRP if I'm willing to wait... I think I will. I'm not paying $57K for a TRD Sport Premium. I could keep my Ranger Raptor order for less.
Find another dealer. There are plenty out there at MSRP, you may just have to travel a bit. The spray in bed liner is something I will actually do if I get one as I imagine the composite is slippy when wet. :)

outcast

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Renegade Trailhawk
Find another dealer. There are plenty out there at MSRP, you may just have to travel a bit. The spray in bed liner is something I will actually do if I get one as I imagine the composite is slippy when wet. :)
What I was thinking too. Does look a lil slippery

OP
OP
bking

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
I
I've tried every dealer in my area. The ones that don't charge ADM are only getting SR5 and SR. The 2 that have Sports coming want ADM and still don't have a premium package. One dealer will sell to me at MSRP as soon as they can get what I want and will put in a preference order with Toyota. Doesn't mean they'll get one, but at least they're not trying to screw me :). I just have to wait for the 2nd wave.

Sponsored

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
What I was thinking too. Does look a lil slippery
I thought that was just the pre-production that was slick like that. I thought I remembered seeing that on a video. It would seem odd that they wouldn’t at least texture it like the current beds.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Spray? Don't Taco owners get the rubber bed mat and call it a day? Do people really LineX the composite bed? Lol

OP
OP
bking

bking

First Name
Bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150
Spray? Don't Taco owners get the rubber bed mat and call it a day? Do people really LineX the composite bed? Lol
That's what I thought. Just useless dealer add-ons that to make a few extra bucks. Plus film, edge guards, $70.00 phone cords (that was the best) Oval black steps for $600..

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
Folks got to keep in mind that the distributors tell Toyota what they want them to build. Then they will add a bunch or port installed items. Then your dealer gets a turn to add a bunch of crap. Not every region is like this so it may be worth that plane ticket and drive back home.

2TR-FE

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma SR5
i use a bed mat with my 3rd gen - no Issues and a lot cheaper than rhino-lining; lineX, etc

Sponsored

GL Rockwell

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 tacoma OR
They said on every video that the production versions would have some texture. Also, a bed mat is much cheaper and should work fine
The texture was referring to the door panels I thought. The beds are always slick.

TacomaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma Limited
I wonder if they are
i use a bed mat with my 3rd gen - no Issues and a lot cheaper than rhino-lining; lineX, etc
I do as well. Works great. Very grippy so stuff doesn't slide around

Derek S.

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Ford Ranger
Yeah, there'll probably be a lot of dealers losing a lot of sales. Since it's starting to look like the Trailhunter is gonna come in at close to $60k, my dealer will end up making me walk away from it and find something else. They do an $8k - $10k markup (and yes, I know there are dealers who don't... I just don't have the time or ability to go elsewhere), which will put the base price at about $70k. That's not even including the accessories I would want on it. I could justify $70k, all told, for a truck. I don't think I can justify $80k.

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Yeah, there'll probably be a lot of dealers losing a lot of sales. Since it's starting to look like the Trailhunter is gonna come in at close to $60k, my dealer will end up making me walk away from it and find something else. They do an $8k - $10k markup (and yes, I know there are dealers who don't... I just don't have the time or ability to go elsewhere), which will put the base price at about $70k. That's not even including the accessories I would want on it. I could justify $70k, all told, for a truck. I don't think I can justify $80k.
The fact you are justifying 8k-10k markup because you claim you dont have time to save 8k-10k is exactly why we are in this position to begin with.

There are resources like markups.org. There is the literal dealer megathread here.

8k-10k really isnt worth picking up the phone or sending a few emails? Come on, man.

TacomaFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Tacoma Limited
[/Q
Supply and demand are so important to remember in situations like this. The market flurry driven by excitement increases demand and therefore higher prices are the result. In this case dealer mark ups. You do have options as called out above, one of which is to wait for the demand side of the equation to drop and as a result, prices will too.
Sponsored