Sponsored

Do you Need TRD PRO? If you add 33" tires, would the PRO significantly outperform the OR in these tests?

APKurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road in Celestial Silver
I watched this video, and he had some issues with ground clearance on the final test:

Based on Toyota's numbers, if you upgrade to 33" tires, there seems to be no difference in ground clearance between the PRO and the OR. Is that correct?

Don't get me wrong—I think the Pro is sweet, but it seems to me that the way to go is to get the OR and upgrade the tires. You could spend another $1200 on the aluminum skid plates and the rock rails and still be $14k cheaper than the Pro with 95% of the capability. I suppose Baja racing is out of the question, but that's about it.
Sponsored

OP
OP

APKurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn't the Pro have the hybrid powertrain with 465 ft-pounds of torque?
Certainly the Pro has lots more torque. My thought is that on the tests shown in this video (and for most real-world scenarios) the 4G turbo @ 317 ft-lb and the 11.5' of ground cleariance with 33" tires is more than adequate for most off-road situations.

By comparison, the 3G produced 265 lb-ft, while the '24 Gladiator's V6 only gets 260 lb-ft. Neither of those trucks were considered a slouch off-road.

To be fair, the Gladiator Rubicon does have better approach and departure angles, but with the bigger tires, the OR should match the PRO's 35.7-degree approach, 24.6-degree breakover, and 22.6-degree departure angles. I'm making the argument that there would be very little, if any, difference between the PRO and OR on these specific tests if you upgraded to 33's

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
With the same size tires I think the Pro’s approach/departure/breakover numbers would still be slightly better due to the 1” front lift and 1/2” rear lift.

That said, this is the most capable OR model we have ever seen in stock form. I put 33s on mine, it has yet to hit the trails (two more weeks) but I doubt there would be many, if any, trails that a Pro could make it on that would make an OR turn around.

Sponsored

OP
OP

APKurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn’t realize the pro had a 1 inch front 1/2 inch rear lift. I had not seen that information anywhere. So in that case, it definitely would have slightly better angles.

OP
OP

APKurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I put a full 33” tire underneath. It wasn’t a big deal for me because I planned to swap out all of the tires anyway for 33s. lol no worries, friend. There’s no need to get so worked up. Nobody is forcing you to buy the truck. If you don’t think it’s worth the price then just keep your money, or buy something else.

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
OR hybrid comes with the same size tires as the Pro. But you would have to upgrade suspension also to be in the same category as a Pro. My plan is to do just that but in a year or two. Yea you don't get the flashy iso seats either but I have a small kid who rides in the back.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I see the OR and Pro as two different approaches to getting a great off road truck.

Buy the Pro and you are done right out of the box, with very little to add.

But the OR and upgrade it with the hardware of your choice and you can get to more or less the same place.

I think the prices will be very similar if you upgrade an OR to Pro level, but going that route gives you more chances to personalize your build.

Different strokes for different folks, as the old saying goes.