Sponsored

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
For reference I have a '24 Taco OR LB with a Lone Peak wedge camper, fully built out w/drawers. I've not been able to weigh the truck since completing the build but I estimate I'm right at ~1,000 lbs, all in. One of the first things I did when buying the truck was to install the Westcott Designs lift kit and I've been running that as I've added weight to the truck. I fully expected to need to reinforce the rear suspension and even before getting the truck I'd been trying to find someone making revised coils for the rear. Several manufacturers told me they were working on revised coils but they kept missing dates or, in the case of ARB, said they don't even expect to have a product until mid-2025.

At least in my case the Westcott kit didn't really "level" the truck. After installation with no weight the rear was ~1 1/2" higher than the front. As I added weight the rear dropped and with the completed build I dropped almost 3" in the rear, putting me maybe 1 1/2" off the stock bump stops, which I hit with every little bump.

Solution:
First, I installed the Timbren TORSEQ3. They come with two spacers you can add but even without any spacers the truck was sitting (barely) on the Timbren's 100% of the time and obviously they did nothing to restore the ride height.

Somehow through the magic of Google search I found Dobinsons and contacted them. Dobinsons makes many springs but doesn't have anything listed yet for the Tacoma but after going back and forth with them a bit they told me to order part C59-819V. This fits the LC300 and if you look at Dobinsons' site you can see there are multiple springs available, both for height and weight.

I ordered C59-819V and installed them yesterday. They're far taller and heavier than the stock coil. The stock springs have 6 coils (the way I count anyway) and the Dobinsons have 9. My biggest question going in was whether or not to reinstall the rear Westcott spacers. I decided to try w/o to start and that turned out to be the right call. Basically with the Dobinsons coils I'm sitting almost exactly where I was when I had just the Westcott spacers and no weight in the truck. I'm back to having the rear ~1 1/2" higher than the front. I also installed both spacers that came with the Timbren TORSEQ3 stops and still have almost 2" of air between the axle and the bump stops now. That's right at the limit of what Timbren recommends but I think it will be fine.

Installation of the springs wasn't that difficult but just know the springs are much longer than stock, and over and inch longer than the stock/Westcott spacer combo is. What that means is that you REALLY have to drop the axle to get the springs in there. The brake lines were my primary concern since the flexible hose between the frame and the axle isn't that long. I ended up removing all the bolts holding the steel lines to the axle (including the U clip on the caliper side) and that gave me plenty of drop.

Obviously I've only had the springs installed for a day and literally have driven less than 10 miles, and that on pavement, but at least on an initial drive I'm very happy. I did take a couple of speed bumps at a decent rate of speed and the truck felt great going over them.

The coils were $270, which I thought was a decent price, but shipping was expensive. If you buy directly from Dobinsons shipping is ~$60. I shopped around and ended up ordering from 4x4colorado.com because they advertise free shipping but after ordering I got a call from the owner and he let me know that Dobinsons had recently changed their pricing w/o letting him know and they were charging him the $60. We ended up splitting the cost and 4x4colorado didn't charge me Washington state sales tax so I was satisfied with the transaction. You might as well just build the shipping into the total cost though because it sounds like you're going to pay the cost regardless who you purchase from.

Here are some pictures. The before and after shots are a little misleading due to the angle of my driveway but you can get the idea.

Stock vs Dobinsons
2024 Tacoma Dobinsons Coil Spring Rear Suspension Upgrade (C59-819V) Installed on 2024 TRD Off-Road Longbed PXL_20240918_185031663

Before Dobinsons install
2024 Tacoma Dobinsons Coil Spring Rear Suspension Upgrade (C59-819V) Installed on 2024 TRD Off-Road Longbed PXL_20240918_174100802

After Dobinsons install
2024 Tacoma Dobinsons Coil Spring Rear Suspension Upgrade (C59-819V) Installed on 2024 TRD Off-Road Longbed PXL_20240918_221819653
Sponsored

SP4RUNNER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellcat, Highlander
I had a question regarding your rock rails, what brand do you have on the truck? And is it supposed to be cut off from the back of the bed? I mean I would think it would protect the entire body from the front door to the rear quarter? Let me know because I have a 6' trail hunter coming in and im thinking about upgrading to a 20 degree slider , thanks

OP
OP
gofastdan

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I had a question regarding your rock rails, what brand do you have on the truck? And is it supposed to be cut off from the back of the bed? I mean I would think it would protect the entire body from the front door to the rear quarter? Let me know because I have a 6' trail hunter coming in and im thinking about upgrading to a 20 degree slider , thanks
They're not sliders and I wouldn't use them as such. I have the Go Rhino Dominator Xtreme D6 side steps. They're plenty strong for standing on but they wouldn't even remotely hold the weight of the truck. I really like them though. They go to the rear of the cab and even though they're a universal fitment type of product the angles integrate well with the way the cab terminates.

They stick way out and from certain angles they might look a little goofy but they're great for standing on, they pretty much catch all the rocks being flung up from the front tires (I have yet to have any rock chips on the sides of the truck and I've driven plenty of gravel roads at speed), and an added bonus is that it's almost impossible to get door dings from other vehicles. Go Rhino has other options that are effectively the same but only four inches instead of six, but I'm happy with these.

Here's a few better pics.
2024 Tacoma Dobinsons Coil Spring Rear Suspension Upgrade (C59-819V) Installed on 2024 TRD Off-Road Longbed PXL_20240503_211339406
2024 Tacoma Dobinsons Coil Spring Rear Suspension Upgrade (C59-819V) Installed on 2024 TRD Off-Road Longbed PXL_20240624_001718006 (1)
2024 Tacoma Dobinsons Coil Spring Rear Suspension Upgrade (C59-819V) Installed on 2024 TRD Off-Road Longbed PXL_20240503_211149252

trailhunger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TH
looks good. Is your Timbren kit the camper version? I ordered a set today for my long bed TH for a GFC V2 Pro. I have about 6.75" clearance from frame to axle w/o load. Curious how these perform on washboard/pot-holed service roads. I know they'll make rock crawling extremely rough ride but for the first few years I'm mostly traveling far distances over mellower terrain vs moderate-to-heavy wheeling

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
That looks great! Way to go out on limb, glad it worked out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
gofastdan

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
looks good. Is your Timbren kit the camper version? I ordered a set today for my long bed TH for a GFC V2 Pro. I have about 6.75" clearance from frame to axle w/o load. Curious how these perform on washboard/pot-holed service roads. I know they'll make rock crawling extremely rough ride but for the first few years I'm mostly traveling far distances over mellower terrain vs moderate-to-heavy wheeling
Sounds like we have similar goals. I don't intend on doing much rock crawling either. It's mainly for forest service roads, many of which are in bad shape here in the PNW.

Timbren was a bit confusing to me. They have three kits for the Tacoma, ABSTORTNDR which are geared toward off-roading, TORSEQ3 which is what I have and is their general purpose option, and TORTTNDR which is the camper option.

I went back and forth on all three and then reached out to Timbren for help. They weren't super helpful TBH but after a bit of an exchange I was told the TORTTNDR bump stops are really designed for heavy slide-in campers (severe service) and would be overkill for the weight I am carrying. They recommended the TORSEQ3 and so far I'm happy with the option although, like I said, I really haven't had an opportunity to pound on them yet. That will come in the next few weeks though! Ultimately though I'm still not sure that any of the options would work just fine...

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
Very glad you posted it, thanks! I called them a couple hours ago and got a bit more intel. So the path the gentleman I spoke to said to take is listed and linked below.

- From Dobinson's USA main page choose Toyota, Tacoma 4th Gen, year 24/25, then full suspension kits. The reason for this path is it shows the part numbers same as the LC300 but with the Tacoma specific load ratings. Screen shot below.

Dobinson's USA direct link

2024 Tacoma Dobinsons Coil Spring Rear Suspension Upgrade (C59-819V) Installed on 2024 TRD Off-Road Longbed 1726786343817-6t
Sponsored