Sponsored

Emblem paint recommendations (no Plastidip)?

Photo_Nerd

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
Hey all. I’m thinking of blacking out my front emblem. You know, to look like the cool kids. Sounds like a lot of folks use Plastidip. But I’ve used Plastidip so many times in my life for various projects, and it’s annoyingly fragile compared to how it’s marketed. I don’t want it getting chipped and peely over time. I’d like something that can take some weather, sun exposure, and the occassional crotch rubbing by anyone going under the hood. Any recommendations on a quality matte paint to use for this?
Sponsored

JSWCRNA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I used a Acrylic ultra flat spray paint from Wal Mart. Lightly sand it with a 1200 or other high grit sand paper after first coat. So far it has held up good

2024 Tacoma Emblem paint recommendations (no Plastidip)? 1727013033776-6f
2024 Tacoma Emblem paint recommendations (no Plastidip)? 1727013033776-6f

OP
OP
Photo_Nerd

Photo_Nerd

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad
I used a Acrylic ultra flat spray paint from Wal Mart. Lightly sand it with a 1200 or other high grit sand paper after first coat. So far it has held up good

1727013033776-6f.jpg
1727013033776-6f.jpg
Awesome! Thanks for that. So no need for primer?

JSWCRNA

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I dont think. Its ultra flat so it is almost a primer itself. And fyi. That emblem is very easy to pop out so can always repaint it if needed. This is an easy way to save yourself about $80 for a blackout emblem

kaliforniaman

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
For a more permanent solution, I prepare the plastic for the paint. I soak the emblem in bleach for a day, the chrome will flake off. You can brush off any remaining. I clean and dry before applying a thin layer of primer. Dry and apply thin layer of paint (as mentioned above). Dry, and repeat. If satisfactory, then dry and add thin layer of clear coat. This should resist cracking, or flaking.
Sponsored