Sponsored

First oil change for 4th gen 2024 Tacoma -- do yours ASAP

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I changed my oil this past week at 1,500 miles. Didn't see any metal, but then didn't filter it or look that closely. I don't recall what you need to remove the drain plug but it's somewhere around a 15 or 17mm socket.

From the factory the oil filter was on very tight. There was no way I could have gotten it off by hand. Save time and energy and get a filter wrench. Pro tip if you buy one of the cap filter wrenches. They are generically designed to fit many different filters in a size range. If it's a bit too loose wrap a piece of paper around the filter before you put the cap on and it will fit much better. I believe you want a 64mm wrench but I already had the right size laying around from another car and it's not marked so you'll want to verify that number.

Also, Toyota tried, they really did. Or maybe they didn't. There's a nice little funnel lip to direct the oil coming out of the filter. Unfortunately it's a swing and a miss. Oil still drips down and hits the frame. Just a little bit larger lip and it would have worked. Lazy engineering...
I had one on a Honda like this. Kung Fu Grip tight. First change from the factory. Wrench couldn't grip it. So I wiped the filter body with alcohol or acetone to degrease and clean, wrapped it in a strip of adhesive sand paper around as much of the circumference as I could, then slipped the wrench over the sandpaper and it came off with some effort. Not sure how these damn filters get so tight.
Sponsored

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyta Tacoma Sport Premium 6’ bed
So did my first oil change on my ‘24 TRD Sport Premium. 1309km. (813 miles). Had it since April 10th and have done only short trips. Filter and drain plug very easy to remove. Little bit of cardboard helped keep the oil off the frame when filter was removed. Decided to drain oil through a frying pan splatter screen ( basically a sieve) No metal bits or shavings found. I was concerned after reading all the “oil change” posts and also because my Taco has an very early VIN. ( in the 3000’s) So far so good. No issues yet. Will probably do another oil change before truck visits dealer for first complimentary service in about October.

2024 Tacoma First oil change for 4th gen 2024 Tacoma -- do yours ASAP IMG_3908

808taco

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd sport MT underground premium
Just did my first oil change at 1068m. Looks like glitter. I guess it's totalled
2024 Tacoma First oil change for 4th gen 2024 Tacoma -- do yours ASAP 1000001613

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
Did mine at just under 1000 miles. I didn't strain it, but didn't see any debris in the clear container I poured it in.

Seemed like the holes on the front OEM skid plate were not exactly lined up and it was a bitch getting back on. I had to push hard to move it a bit to get the last bolt.

These are very small oil filters. Same size as on my lawn tractor.

I also had to double check via Youtube I had the right drain bolt, very small oil pan. Likely normal for a 4 cyl. I have had V6 and V8s all my life :)

2024 Tacoma First oil change for 4th gen 2024 Tacoma -- do yours ASAP 20240727_101852

TRD _Rob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Camry TRD, 2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
The Off Road "skid plate" isn't much better.
These things are not meant to be "skid plates". They are simply gravel guards to prevent gravel or debris from going up into the Engine bay.
Sponsored