Sponsored

Going from full size to 2024 Tacoma?

Paco877

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Everyone here is mentioning better fuel economy in the Tacoma. I thought the initial reports were mpgs weren’t great? I was getting 20mpg in a 2022 F150 5.0. The Tacoma can’t be that much better, is it?
Sponsored

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
Everyone here is mentioning better fuel economy in the Tacoma. I thought the initial reports were mpgs weren’t great? I was getting 20mpg in a 2022 F150 5.0. The Tacoma can’t be that much better, is it?
[/QUOTEfr
from all of the driving I have done I’d say it’s about 10% better. Quite a bit better in the city. Not a whole lot better on the highway.

The turbo eats a lot of gas when it kicks on. It’s a truck though. So probably not the primary goal.

hogshooter

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited 4x4
I went from 2.5 gen Tundra to 4th gen Tacoma. I looked at the 3rd gen Tundras, but didn't like them and their engine problems had me reconsidering. I'd been thinking about down sizing anyway. I need a truck, but I'm not towing or hauling that much anymore and the most I ever put in the bed is 4 or 5 sheets of plywood, and that's only once or twice a year. The Tacoma feels almost as spacious as my old Tundra except for the back seat, and it rides a lot nicer too.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
As far as drivability, I don't consider the 2024 Tacoma, small. My full size truck at work actually has better visibility than this truck.

AirForce24

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport Tacoma
Traded in my 2022 Ram Longhorn for the 24 Tacoma. I don’t haul or pull anything and most of the time it is just me in the truck. We did use it to drive to my daughters soccer games and threw a couple chairs in the back and that is about it. The cabin room was nice, but didn’t need it. I still sit high and have great visibility as the Ram. I am 100% happy with the Tacoma, and since all but one of my 7 kids are out of the house the midsize fits right. If you still have kids and need room stay with it, if you are in doubt stay with it, but if unsure test drive the Tacoma and see how it fits. Good luck.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
I've had my Limited Hybrid for a week since i traded in the Ram 3500 Longhorn.

Absolutely no regrets!

Interior storage is obviously less but i don't feel cramped at all. Seat is very comfortable.

Driving is a lot more fun and more comfortable.

I haven't towed or hauled anything heavy yet - but thats not my primary use.

dirtypixeladv

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5 DCLB
If you can afford it, rent a small truck 1-2 days during a time where you can drive it on a very routine day and/or a day where you may be enjoying one of your favorite outdoor hobbies.

I traded my '20 Sierra 1500 Duramax for a '24 Taco SR5 after fighting engine gremlins for years. The GMC dealership gave me a small rental for 3 months while I waited on repairs. I realized the small truck was much more fun to drive and easier to live with for 95% of my driving. The Sierra was great for mindless packing, but the Taco does just as well with a little more thoughtful loading (in my case, a dog and/or 2 dirt bikes).

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
My Tundra is a great truck and just what you want when there is heavy work to do. I traded my 2nd gen Taco for a Tundra because of heavy hauling and towing I did at that time. It has been flawless, comfortable and capable for 13 years.

Now I don't need the gas cost, or trying to shove it into tight spaces because my heavy hauling/towing days are done. So now I can get a Tacoma that for me is the perfect size, even after many years of roaming the wide open spaces of a modern 1/2 ton. A Tacoma is exactly what I want - big enough to do the job, it fits down trails , its fun to drive, and fits everywhere in a city that an suv does.

I also like the idea of renting one if you can and seeing just how much different it is for you. When I did my first drive in a 2024 it felt like it was small. But soon I realized that it fits you just right with a nice tight road feel. Kind of a sports car trapped in a truck body.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
My Tundra is a great truck and just what you want when there is heavy work to do. I traded my 2nd gen Taco for a Tundra because of heavy hauling and towing I did at that time. It has been flawless, comfortable and capable for 13 years.

Now I don't need the gas cost, or trying to shove it into tight spaces because my heavy hauling/towing days are done. So now I can get a Tacoma that for me is the perfect size, even after many years of roaming the wide open spaces of a modern 1/2 ton. A Tacoma is exactly what I want - big enough to do the job, it fits down trails , its fun to drive, and fits everywhere in a city that an suv does.

I also like the idea of renting one if you can and seeing just how much different it is for you. When I did my first drive in a 2024 it felt like it was small. But soon I realized that it fits you just right with a nice tight road feel. Kind of a sports car trapped in a truck body.
Excited to see someone in the future build a GMC cyclone like sport truck out a a 2WD 24 Tacoma with bigger turbo All tricked out.