Sponsored

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
This is for anyone saying the Hybrids aren't worth it as they don't get betr mpg!

(Yes I was in sport and manual mode when I took the picture! I was waiting at a busy intersection waiting to turn on a red light)

This was my average trip mileage driving around town running errands with my daughter yesterday. 26.6mpg! I'll totally take that!

Forgot to say in love in the Denver metro area not some little town so I was in stop and go traffic getting this!

2024 Tacoma Hybrid MPG -- 26.6mpg city driving! 20240825_114241
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
My first fuel up came in at 20.2mpg, but I couldn't tell you how long I idled for the first few days just playing with the settings and what not. The second fuel up will not be any better (again, a lot of idling!)

Good to see!

Steelhead

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
26.6 mpg is great fuel economy, just wondering why your range is showing 117 miles left with 1/2 a tank of fuel if your getting that fuel economy consistently over many miles ?. Strange

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
There are guys in the non hybrid thread getting 30 so I wouldn’t get so excited. Personally I don’t and only get 19 but there are plenty that are getting 30, at least so they claim.

Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Sure if you drive like a 107 year old clinging on to life itself.

OP
OP
Tanrmt09

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
26.6 mpg is great fuel economy, just wondering why your range is showing 117 miles left with 1/2 a tank of fuel if your getting that fuel economy consistently over many miles ?. Strange
Idk it's always lower then what the trip says. Probably cause the night before I wasn't driving nice trying to get home to tuck my daughter in.

Even after fulling my tank it still says I only have 287 miles of range

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tanrmt09

Tanrmt09

First Name
Tabr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Toyota 4runner
I've seen some non hybrids getting 28/30 on highway but not in town. I'm still stoked on it either way.

And no I wasn't driving like in 107 that was just simple cruising around. 30-45 mph.

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
There are guys in the non hybrid thread getting 30 so I wouldn’t get so excited. Personally I don’t and only get 19 but there are plenty that are getting 30, at least so they claim.
I’ve got a non hybrid trd sport and my best mpg on. Short trip was 28.8 miles. My best on a whole tank was 25.3mpg. The average is around 22.5 mpg on a tank. I kind of want to get a hybrid but not for the better mpg. I’d love to have more torque.

AnotherRandomWhiteGuy

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
The computer to calculate fuel mileage is not basic like in the past. It takes into account total driving history as well as current parameters and is actually somewhat complicated. It's not going to be very accurate for some time and even when it is somewhat accurate, if you do completely different driving than normal, it may not be super accurate. It also trends on the conservative side so generally you will have more miles than it tells you because it doesn't want to be responsible for stranding you somewhere with no gas.

Edit: The computer MPG and miles left on tank should always be taken as generalities. If you really want to know these numbers, you need to calculate it yourself and learn your vehicle.

Sponsored

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Because the range estimator is ass.

Its probably my only gripe with these trucks so far. For example, mine always show 287 at fill up. I haven't gotten less then 330

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
I'm one of those guys but I get that mileage on a flat road doing 45-55mph, pretty much absolute best case scenario (but I've done it over 50 mile trips in ideal conditions). Just guessing about the type of driving tanrmt09 is talking about, my best would probably be 22mpg, and significantly worse than that most of the time. Eco is pretty good in city driving, but city driving is definitely where the hybrid excels.

I couldn't rationalize the hybrid because I live in a small city and "city" driving for me is driving 45-55mph into town and then maybe going through a few lights. It's pretty easy for me to average 24-28mpg with the non-hybrid for the vast majority of my driving.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
Honestly my mpg has been pretty ass in my TRD Pro. When I got it it was like 13.8 now its up to like 15.1. I also don't think I drive like a maniac but I'm also not super conservative either. I drive in normal and eco. I would say its been 90% city driving and when I drive on the highway it actually makes my MPG go up lol...

I definitely plan on trying to do some manual calculations next time I fill up.

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Honestly my mpg has been pretty ass in my TRD Pro. When I got it it was like 13.8 now its up to like 15.1. I also don't think I drive like a maniac but I'm also not super conservative either. I drive in normal and eco. I would say its been 90% city driving and when I drive on the highway it actually makes my MPG go up lol...

I definitely plan on trying to do some manual calculations next time I fill up.
Yeah I didn't buy mine for the MPG and honestly every time I have done the calculation on purely MPG the hybrid version of anything would never pay if buying only for MPG savings. Usually the pay out is like 10 years and I have never owned any of my 25+ cars more than about 5 so I would never buy a hybrid unless it was for the torque and honestly in a mid size truck the "torque" isn't going to make the driving experience any better especially for the cost difference. Too each his own I guess.

I just chuckle at all the hyper milers because they are claiming to get better than the Hybrid MPG on a regular basis and about 10 over EPA. To me it is just not a real barometer of what the car/truck will get. Most of the time NO ONE is going to drive that way to get those MPG's and if it were common then the manufacturer would inflate their MPG numbers on the sticker to sell more cars.

I have found in all the new cars/trucks I buy I am about 5-7% BELOW what the stated MPG is. I am old and don't drive crazy. I have a weekend sports car for that type of driving. I also don't drive so slow that I am a speed bump and actually an accident waiting to happen driving slower than the flow of traffic.

Side note I calculated the first 4 tanks of gas the correct way (not using the Toyota infotainment for the "trip" calculation on a single trip). There is literally no discernable difference between eco, normal and sport. +/- 1 MPG on any given tank no matter what mode it is in for the entire tank (yes I drove an entire tank) just to see the difference.

I say drive your Pro like you like and who really cares what the MPG is. I do it for the first few tanks of a new car and then I am done calculating.
Sponsored