Sponsored

I don’t understand the hype

mixe760

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Hype? All the reviews rate this truck as average.
Well I assume it's because people love them more than the reviews. I know people who have waited months waiting for one to come in. I waited almost 2 months.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I know people who have waited months waiting for one to come in. I waited almost 2 months.
I waited almost 5 months for mine and it is everything I expected. I ignore the hype both good and bad online because people push the boundaries both ways to get views.

I have driven all of the competition and in no way is my truck average. I think the OP would feel differently if he had gotten a higher trim, but I also think he should cut his losses and move on.

Last edited:

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I hyped up my own idea of the truck for a year and 2 days, to be exact; that's how long it took from the day I placed my deposit until the day I picked it up. And after a month or so of ownership, it lives up to that hype and more.

But I got the TH trim, so it has a lot more bells and whistles than a base model.

mixe760

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Would you rather have 2 cup holders?

I use the cubbies all the time, shelf in front of passenger, wifey fills it up every trip, secret storage? Don’t like it so I don’t use it. Glove box is big!

Lag? Try sport mode or tow haul?

Full tank nets me 350-380.
Only time I’ve had a tank under 20mpg I was towing. Staying out of the boost helps considerably.

CarPlay? Don’t update to IOS 18! Infotainment been problem free for me maybe the dealership can help?

Qi wireless yep they charge far slower than a wired connection. 3 of them are provided.

47K for my TRD OR, both front seats are 8 way electric. (Upgrade Package and sway bar disconnect)

Door Lock lag, yep can be annoying! I’m Gonna ask the stealorship about it?

The Ledge? Make sure you know what’s on the other side!

I’m a first time Tacoma owner as well. Its so far exceeded my expectations.
Well hopefully ios 18.0 will at least fix the apple carplay issues with the music not muting when you use it. I have been hearing for 2 months they are working on the fix

mixe760

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I hyped up my own idea of the truck for a year and 2 days, to be exact; that's how long it took from the day I placed my deposit until the day I picked it up. And after a month or so of ownership, it lives up to that hype and more.

But I got the TH trim, so it has a lot more bells and whistles than a base model.
I agree, besides the one apple carplay issue I could not be much happier with my 24 Taco.

Sponsored

mixe760

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
This is your first Tacoma @TacoScott, but is it your first truck?

The hype for the new generation Tacoma has brought in a lot of first time truck buyers. There are several vehicles that look like trucks on today's market, but are actually small SUVs with beds, like the Maverick. Those trucks drive and are equipped like the SUVs they were derived from. They tend to be quieter, smoother and have more features than the average midsize truck.

The Tacoma is a different beast and that is why many of us love them. It is still a real body on frame truck, just not huge like the current full sized trucks. As a truck it has a more direct ride and feel and although the amenities are increased over earlier gen Tacos they are not what we expect in an SUV today. Some other real trucks have become more car like, and they don't interest me personally, but might better fill your expectations. Have you looked at a Ridgeline?

So what you see as Tacoma drawbacks, are what makes a lot of us love them. They are still trucks and so they are tools to do a job, not a cushy SUV with a bed. The 4th gen Tacoma is about as car like as a truck can get and still keep me interested.

I think you just bought the wrong vehicle Scott. You should consider trading it on something that better meets your expectations, rather than keeping it and hating it.

Trucks are not for everyone, but for those of us who love them, the Taco is still the class act of the midsize truck market.
Great answer.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I hyped up my own idea of the truck for a year and 2 days, to be exact; that's how long it took from the day I placed my deposit until the day I picked it up.
I did pretty much the same thing and I wondered if maybe my imagination had created a truck that reality couldn't match. But now that I have it I think it is even nicer than dreamed it might be and I couldn't be happier.

mixe760

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
The music source switching is an Apple issue. If you unlock your iphone, many apps (including Facebook) will auto-switch the source to Carplay audio. Extremely annoying if you're listening to SirusXM. I've been looking for a way to disable this, but so far, haven't found one. FYI.
There are a couple apple carplay issues they need to fix soon

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Sounds like someone didn’t take a test drive.

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Engine lag may just be an 8 speed thing. I've never drove an 8 speed that I liked. Glad I went with the manual. Instant power when needed lol

Sponsored

Old Man

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport
Just reviewed the entire thread and pretty conclusive… should have taken a test drive.
The one topic which some have mentioned is lack of acceleration. I found the 4-banger had more power response and better shifting than the new Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado right out of the box. But if you’re looking for a good time with a little more get-up-and-go, a quick fix is a throttle control. I have had one on mine since 350 miles and no complaints. Guaranteed you will not be disappointed! Only takes about ten minutes to install…

beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited
The Ridgeline is an SUV with an open bed. Once you acknowledge that, and accept that it is what probably 90% of midsize truck buyers actually need, you'll stop debating whether it's a "real truck" or not. It does all the "real truck" stuff most people use any other midsize truck for. My dad had four or five of them over the years, they're great at what they are. The trunk and tailgate are features I wish the Tacoma had.

I prefer the Tacoma in almost all aspects, but calling the Ridgeline not a "real truck" is gatekeeping nonesense.
The Ridgeline is an SUV with an open bed. Once you acknowledge that, and accept that it is what probably 90% of midsize truck buyers actually need, you'll stop debating whether it's a "real truck" or not. It does all the "real truck" stuff most people use any other midsize truck for. My dad had four or five of them over the years, they're great at what they are. The trunk and tailgate are features I wish the Tacoma had.

I prefer the Tacoma in almost all aspects, but calling the Ridgeline not a "real truck" is gatekeeping nonesense.
Just asked a bunch of friends about the ridgeline, all said not a real truck lol, one said its ghey.

deder808

First Name
David Eder
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Off Road Premium 4x4
First time Tacoma owner - I have the 4th gen sr5 double cab with 6 foot bed and I’m trying to love it but I hate it. So many things don’t make sense to me…

14 cup holders?

No (usable) interior storage - cubbies around gear shifter - shelf in front of passenger seat - door storage - all require tiny hands to slide in and grab anything with just fingertips - then the “secret” storage which is a aptly named because it’s a mystery to me as to what it’s for

Serious lag in acceleration - feels like it’s stuck in quicksand

full gas tank = only 289 miles

18 mpg not ideal

No unlock button on tailgate

Center console is very shallow for some reason as seems to be plenty of room to go deeper

Door lock lag - I can hit the button (indent) on door handle and sometimes locks right away, other times I’m several steps away and grabbing for the key fob before the button registers - sometimes it doesn’t lock at all

CarPlay/infotainment glitches - changes music source or turns off

Wireless charging barely keeps phone at starting battery level due to CarPlay and gps use

Manual seats on a 45k vehicle?

I know some of it is cosmetic but for the price I’m seriously disappointed in this truck. The answer I get for these things is along the lines of “new engine” or “new design” but regardless I don’t get why people love these trucks so much. Maybe it will grow on me but at just over 2,000 miles I’m ready to take the hit and get something else.
Anyone have anything to help talk me off the ledge?
I am not sure if this is relevant there are two different type engines if I remember correctly the SR5 has a down sized engine.
Sponsored