NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
tt330.jpg

Picked mine up 7/13, drove it back home 400 miles on 7/14. This is just a preview, I plan to write a lot about this vehicle in the next few weeks. I started out writing a review but haven't been able to get it organized enough to post yet. I'll just start with what the truck is and some initial first impressions.

Specifications:

2024 Toyota Tacoma Off Road, 8spd Auto, Bronze Oxide w/ Black/white interior. Only extras are 14" display and heated seats.

Very early first impressions, good and bad:

Drivetrain is awesome. It's not about the power, I've driven a lot more powerful vehicles. The engine is plenty powerful enough for anything I'd use it for, but more importantly it's so incredibly smooth and responsive for a truck, one of the best engine/transmission combos I've ever driven in a truck...and that's starting the drive with 9 miles on the truck, obviously not broken in. Shifts are really smooth, no lugging, never seems to shift too early or too slow in any of the three modes, eco/normal/sport. Turbo is seemless, no lag, just feels great to drive. I tried all three drive modes on the way home, I was careful during the break in period so I didn't push the truck too hard. I alternated very short stretches on the interstate with longer stretches on mostly rural state roads. I averaged 26.3 mpg for the whole 400 miles. Don't believe the crap about the truck needing a break in period to get good fuel economy. If you are getting bad fuel economy it's your driving style, terrain, mods, etc. I had no trouble getting 30mpg on flat roads driving 55-65mph, no drafting and not being particularly careful, just staying out of turbo boost. Each mode did get better fuel economy for me, from Sport to Normal to Eco. I also did notice significant differences in the way the truck behaved in each mode. Turbo boost changed significantly, how quickly it engaged, how much boost was provided, how long it stayed boosted, etc. Sport mode is awesome just made me want to keep the truck in that and push the truck hard. I was totally content to do most of my driving in Eco mode though, the truck still drives great in that mode.

Suspension i still have to test more. My initial impression was that the back end is a world of difference from any truck I've driven with leaf springs. It's just way better behaved and I think any of you who have really driven trucks on rough roads know what I'm talking about. None of the bouncing and side to side or up and down, or general feeling like the back end is going to let lose over very rough terrain and unloaded. The front end I'm not so sure I feel much difference compared to any other truck, but I didn't do much off road so it's too early to tell.

Tailgate misalignment some have issued, non-existent. I checked for fluid leaks before the long drive and after, nothing yet. Tire pressure was 32psi.

Bronze oxide color and black&white interior, personal preference of course but both better than I expected. I had seen the black&white interior on another color truck, but I went with bronze oxide without seeing that color in person.

Paint quality, I could not find any issues. No chips after the 400 mile drive, but every stone I heard being kicked up made me cringe!

Complaints so far...Infotainment system kind of sucks. Not at all intuitive, took me quite a bit to figure out all that I could, but disappointed with the limited configurability for a 2024. Some problems that I'm not sure can be fixed. Main issue that was incredibly frustrating was that if I listen to anything using Android Auto, and I change the volume using the steering wheel controls or the knob on the display, the source changes from android auto to either the radio or SIrius XM. I tried forever to fix that and have found no solution. I'm going to report this Toyota and see what they tell me, it kind of seems like a bug.

No power seats. I knew I wasn't getting that, but to not get that in this trim, at this price point, seems kind of lame.

Although I like the 12" instrument cluster, it could be a lot more configurable. I'd like to be able to have actual numbers for a bunch of the guages, instead of just the bar graphs. I'd like to be able to customize more of what does or doesn't appear with the different styles. It's still one of the nicest instrument clusters I've seen, but it just seems like it wasn't well thought out, they just randomly put stuff in different places and don't give you enough options to change things.

That's it for now. Just wanted to get started and say don't hesitate on the turbo and don't get talked out of this truck by the complainers and the few reports of very significant problems.

Oh, and finance guys always suck!!!! I had a pretty good experience with my sales person, but I forgot how bad the finance guys typically are. I thought I was going to get in and out quick, especially since I was paying cash, but then I had to sit down with the finance guy anyway. He starts out with how Toyota is the most reliable vehicle and how I'll never have any problems, and then proceeds to try to sell me the extended ToyotaCare package for 1300, and the 10yr extended warranty for $4400. I paid cash for my truck and I told the guy I'd have enough cash stockpiled to buy a new truck by the time the base warranty ran out, so I wasn't going to pay anything else. Then he went on about how all the new trucks are so complicated, so much isn't covered by the warranty, there are so many things that can go wrong, and every repair is going to cost a small fortune. I was nice but I wanted to say, but what about Toyota's awesome reputation for quality and reliability that you just told me about. After a couple rounds of him going on about it, the ToyotaCare was still at 1300, but he dropped the extended warranty to $2000 and acted like he was giving it to me for free. I still said no and made it very clear I was not interested in any extras at any price. His demeanor changed immediately and he rushed to finish everything up, but it kind of turned the whole buying experience for me. He acted like cutting the warranty from $4400 to $2000 made it impossible to turn down, but I just looked at it as he tried to screw me right from the start, and the fact that he dropped the price afterwards didn't really change anything. Anyway, I got out of there sticking to paying for no extras of any kind and was glad to get out of there.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NoNo

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A few more images. If there's anything anyone wants to see let me know. Only thing I've added so far are the Husky X Countour liners front and back, they fit great. Expensive for what you get but I'm happy with the quality and I've had good mats in every truck I've owned and they've always been worth the expense. Only other things I know I'm adding right away are Cordura seat covers front and back as soon as I can find something. Not a lot of good options out there yet.
tt400.jpg

tt399.jpg

tt300.jpg

tt360.jpg

tt401.jpg

frontsusp300.jpg

husky300.jpg

husky299.jpg

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Looks awesome... If you got the power seats and rear window you might have gotten the smaller screen not sure why but that's how they made the packages... My finance guy was awful... I paid cash also and they bug the sh*t out of me to wrap it get the extended warranty, vehicles are all computers now... etc... Did you get the PPF? I passed on all the extras... Awesome truck... I'm at 2k miles still loving my Off road... How you like the Husky liners?

Last edited:

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
Excellent write up! I am at 2 thousand miles and I feel the same way about the drive modes and gas mileage. I stay in eco and under the boost mostly. Apple car play has been seem less and no issues like you have stated. Those finance guys are scurvy shyster bastards but somebody’s got to do it. You didn’t cave and held your ground most give in fall for the hustle. I am borderline sociopathic and a devil with a silver tongue those salesmen and finance people are powerless against me. I hustled the finance guy till he had to go ask management to approve my asking for 20% over dealer cost on the longest extended warranty Toyota offered. After they switched out the first women salesman I talked circles around for the next sales kid I just immediately asked for 7% off of msrp That portion of the sale was also done with management approval. You have to know how to work it.

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR Base
Truck looks great, glad you're enjoying it so far! I've yet to see bronze oxide in person but it keeps looking better and better in photos!

Had a similarly poor experience with the finance guy going through the same spiel. Extended warranty, ppf, windshield insurance, blah blah blah.... They get visibly more frustrated the more you say no. It was 9pm and no one wanted to be in that situation but damn they are persistent.

Sponsored

goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma Sport Premium, 24 Camry XSE (wife's)
Nice write up. Of note people keep saying their mats fit perfect but you have the same issues that I have had with several sets. I can’t stand when they are “wavy” and don’t lie flat against the carpet. I bought Huskys again for our incoming Tacoma but think I am going to regret them. I bought from Amazon so I will return them.
IMG_0172.jpeg

scottiev

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
tt330.jpg

Picked mine up 7/13, drove it back home 400 miles on 7/14. This is just a preview, I plan to write a lot about this vehicle in the next few weeks. I started out writing a review but haven't been able to get it organized enough to post yet. I'll just start with what the truck is and some initial first impressions.

Specifications:

2024 Toyota Tacoma Off Road, 8spd Auto, Bronze Oxide w/ Black/white interior. Only extras are 14" display and heated seats.

Drivetrain is awesome. It's not about the power, I've driven a lot more powerful vehicles. The engine is plenty powerful enough for anything I'd use it for, but more importantly it's so incredibly smooth and responsive for a truck, one of the best engine/transmission combos I've ever driven in a truck...and that's starting the drive with 9 miles on the truck, obviously not broken in. Shifts are really smooth, no lugging, never seems to shift too early or too slow in any of the three modes, eco/normal/sport. Turbo is seemless, no lag, just feels great to drive. I tried all three drive modes on the way home, I was careful during the break in period so I didn't push the truck too hard. I alternated very short stretches on the interstate with longer stretches on mostly rural state roads. I averaged 26.3 mpg for the whole 400 miles. Don't believe the crap about the truck needing a break in period to get good fuel economy. If you are getting bad fuel economy it's your driving style, terrain, mods, etc. I had no trouble getting 30mpg on flat roads driving 55-65mph, no drafting and not being particularly careful, just staying out of turbo boost. Each mode did get better fuel economy for me, from Sport to Normal to Eco. I also did notice significant differences in the way the truck behaved in each mode. Turbo boost changed significantly, how quickly it engaged, how much boost was provided, how long it stayed boosted, etc. Sport mode is awesome just made me want to keep the truck in that and push the truck hard. I was totally content to do most of my driving in Eco mode though, the truck still drives great in that mode.

Suspension i still have to test more. My initial impression was that the back end is a world of difference from any truck I've driven with leaf springs. It's just way better behaved and I think any of you who have really driven trucks on rough roads know what I'm talking about. None of the bouncing and side to side or up and down, or general feeling like the back end is going to let lose over very rough terrain and unloaded. The front end I'm not so sure I feel much difference compared to any other truck, but I didn't do much off road so it's too early to tell.

Tailgate misalignment some have issued, non-existent. I checked for fluid leaks before the long drive and after, nothing yet. Tire pressure was 32psi.

Bronze oxide color and black&white interior, personal preference of course but both better than I expected. I had seen the black&white interior on another color truck, but I went with bronze oxide without seeing that color in person.

Paint quality, I could not find any issues. No chips after the 400 mile drive, but every stone I heard being kicked up made me cringe!

Complaints so far...Infotainment system kind of sucks. Not at all intuitive, took me quite a bit to figure out all that I could, but disappointed with the limited configurability for a 2024. Some problems that I'm not sure can be fixed. Main issue that was incredibly frustrating was that if I listen to anything using Android Auto, and I change the volume using the steering wheel controls or the knob on the display, the source changes from android auto to either the radio or SIrius XM. I tried forever to fix that and have found no solution. I'm going to report this Toyota and see what they tell me, it kind of seems like a bug.

No power seats. I knew I wasn't getting that, but to not get that in this trim, at this price point, seems kind of lame.

Although I like the 12" instrument cluster, it could be a lot more configurable. I'd like to be able to have actual numbers for a bunch of the guages, instead of just the bar graphs. I'd like to be able to customize more of what does or doesn't appear with the different styles. It's still one of the nicest instrument clusters I've seen, but it just seems like it wasn't well thought out, they just randomly put stuff in different places and don't give you enough options to change things.

That's it for now. Just wanted to get started and say don't hesitate on the turbo and don't get talked out of this truck by the complainers and the few reports of very significant problems.

Oh, and finance guys always suck!!!! I had a pretty good experience with my sales person, but I forgot how bad the finance guys typically are. I thought I was going to get in and out quick, especially since I was paying cash, but then I had to sit down with the finance guy anyway. He starts out with how Toyota is the most reliable vehicle and how I'll never have any problems, and then proceeds to try to sell me the extended ToyotaCare package for 1300, and the 10yr extended warranty for $4400. I paid cash for my truck and I told the guy I'd have enough cash stockpiled to buy a new truck by the time the base warranty ran out, so I wasn't going to pay anything else. Then he went on about how all the new trucks are so complicated, so much isn't covered by the warranty, there are so many things that can go wrong, and every repair is going to cost a small fortune. I was nice but I wanted to say, but what about Toyota's awesome reputation for quality and reliability that you just told me about. After a couple rounds of him going on about it, the ToyotaCare was still at 1300, but he dropped the extended warranty to $2000 and acted like he was giving it to me for free. I still said no and made it very clear I was not interested in any extras at any price. His demeanor changed immediately and he rushed to finish everything up, but it kind of turned the whole buying experience for me. He acted like cutting the warranty from $4400 to $2000 made it impossible to turn down, but I just looked at it as he tried to screw me right from the start, and the fact that he dropped the price afterwards didn't really change anything. Anyway, I got out of there sticking to paying for no extras of any kind and was glad to get out of there.
Excellent journal. Thanks for sharing. I have the same truck with a 6 speed. Love it.

OP
OP
NoNo

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Instrument Cluster Scrolling

Here's a short video clip showing some of the instrument cluster options. In this video I just scrolled through what you can configure to display inside of the right side gauge. In this style there's a similar set of options that can be configured to display inside of the left side gauge, but some options are unique to one side or the other. Took me a while to figure out all the possible options and although I still can't get everything in one view, the configuration is a lot more flexible than I originally thought.

OP
OP
NoNo

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice write up. Of note people keep saying their mats fit perfect but you have the same issues that I have had with several sets. I can’t stand when they are “wavy” and don’t lie flat against the carpet. I bought Huskys again for our incoming Tacoma but think I am going to regret them. I bought from Amazon so I will return them.
IMG_0172.jpeg
That area really isn't wavy at all. It looks a little like that because of the way it's shaped in that area, but the gap is tiny there, nothing more than what you see on the left side, less than 1/16". I think all of these mats have gotten way overpriced but I'm very happy with these.

OP
OP
NoNo

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Looks awesome... If you got the power seats and rear window you might have gotten the smaller screen not sure why but that's how they made the packages... My finance guy was awful... I paid cash also and they bug the sh*t out of me to wrap it get the extended warranty, vehicles are all computers now... etc... Did you get the PPF? I passed on all the extras... Awesome truck... I'm at 2k miles still loving my Off road... How you like the Husky liners?
No on the PPF! That and some other dealer extras added over $2000 to the MSRP and my initial negotiation was to get rid of all those. I think it's relatively useless, definitely not worth the cost to me. I drive my truck like a truck, lots of off road driving. On my previous one, I had the usual factory PPF near the wheel wells and I bought some to put on myself in a couple of other spots. Stones still chipped the usual areas. For the hood, I found the bug shields fare more worthwhile for protection. Behind the wheels is always problematic, always worse if you go bigger with the tires. I've never found mudflaps to help much either, so I just keep as heavy a coat of wax on as I can and patch as necessary.

Husky liners are the best I've owned, better than previous WeatherTechs I've had for other vehicles. Mats aren't terribly exciting and I think anything over $100 is a bit overpriced, but the coverage of these is pretty much the best I've ever found, for both the front and back. I like that the branding is subtle the sides and back are high, and the ridges are designed well to trap a lot of water, dirt, and stone. Fit was perfect in my opinion.

Reactions: Kjc

Sponsored

Taconatron

First Name
nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma
tt330.jpg

Specifications:

Thank you for this inside. My oxide premium arrives this week. I will have a better negotiating position now.

OP
OP
NoNo

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's the ultimate poor man's mod ;-). It's going to take me a while to decide on the seat covers, let alone get them delivered, and I felt I needed some immediate temporary protection. Front seat covers were $4.50 each and rear seat cover was $14, courtesy of local Walmart! They are just cheap blankets. Better than putting garbage bags over the seats I guess.

I need to get a heavy coat of wax on the vehicle and then I'll feel like it's in good enough shape to drive daily, as I need to get to work cleaning up my old truck to sell.

tempcover329.jpg

tempcover330.jpg

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally am having a hard time coming to the understanding that this truck is sacrificial. I wish I could preserve it so in 20 years it still looks brand new. I want to treat it like my motorcycles but it’s not a toy. The winters in the rust belt for a vehicle are a slow death. I will do my best to keep it nice for as long as possible. Cherish it like it is the last of its kind.

OP
OP
NoNo

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I personally am having a hard time coming to the understanding that this truck is sacrificial. I wish I could preserve it so in 20 years it still looks brand new. I want to treat it like my motorcycles but it’s not a toy. The winters in the rust belt for a vehicle are a slow death. I will do my best to keep it nice for as long as possible. Cherish it like it is the last of its kind.
Usually takes me a year or so and then I kind of give up. I had my last truck 8.5 years so it's a bit tougher this time to not want to keep the truck looking new as long as possible.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did a wax on paint with a high quality wax chemical brothers or something. And used Pro Honda polish on all black plastic exterior and interior and windows. For more then 20 years I have been using that Honda polish on motorcycles. Some of my older bikes 40-20-10 years old have regularly had all surfaces sprayed with the Honda polish. They look showroom new. Also the bugs and road grime comes off so much more easily. Most importantly is the UV protection it’s like the plastic absorbs the polish and looks new with out fading. Some of my motorcycles are from Southern California when I worked out there and even in the harsh desert sun after many years and miles they look brand new. I hope that Honda polish does the same for my Tacoma. My first wash after the Honda polish was applied to front grill headlights all plastic it was so much easier to clean. I plan to purchase the polish in bulk on Amazon for future applications.
IMG_0383.jpeg
Sponsored