Sponsored

My first Toyota in 30 years and I got a lemon - 2024 Tacoma [CLOSED DUE TO POLITICS]

Status
Not open for further replies.

socaltaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
Well this is shit luck. Bought a brand new 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Premium on August 1st.
Took it back to the dealer after 7 days since the fuel door wouldn't close; told that parts weren't available with no ETA for parts
Returned again to service on August 17th after fuel sensor stopped working and was unable to fill gas in to the car since the siphon was closed. Was told entire fuel door, fuel sensor and siphon mechanism failed and needed replacement.
Car has 310 miles on it.
No ETA on parts.
Contacted Toyota Brand Engagement to see if they could source parts for a brand new Tacoma that is currently being produced. Again told no ETA.
Just reached to a 3rd party arbitrator to see if I could get my money back or they can get me a brand new truck.
This is bullshit.
My first and last Toyota. Disappointed with both dealer and corporate response.
Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
These type of bad luck situations occur and lemon laws are there for it. I am currently waiting patiently for warranty replacements and accident damages replacement. No ETA on time of arrival and an end of October possibly on some parts. Life sometimes gives you lemons šŸ‹ try for a positive mental outlook and keep your frustrations contained when speaking with people involved in resolving your issues. Patience and courtesy will makes things proceed smoothly. Also with lemon laws there is non disclosure agreements usually consider that in what you are divulging in public.

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Sorry for your situation. Unfortunately, defects happen and I hope it doesnā€™t affect you too much. did they offer a rental if you need one? Iā€™d be surprised if you find quick resolution with an independent arbiter since Toyotaā€˜s purchase agreement and your state lemon laws dictate the rules and timelines and I doubt Toyota deviates from them.

Years ago, I tried arbitration and the mediator ruled to give Toyota ā€œanother chanceā€ at a fix, well after the timelines expires. Lesson taken away is that itā€™s their game and i was just a player.

I had a tundra out of commission for 2.5 months waiting on parts for a recall fix for potential fire. I asked Toyota for a buy back because it was out of commission for more than 30 days. They ran their timeline out, and said no. I contacted a Calif lemon law firm and they said ā€œno caseā€ recalls donā€™t count. further reinforcing that past lesson.

Good luck with your situation, i hope itā€™s resolved quickly for you.

OP
OP

socaltaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S
Sorry for your situation. Unfortunately, defects happen and I hope it doesnā€™t affect you too much. did they offer a rental if you need one? Iā€™d be surprised if you find quick resolution with an independent arbiter since Toyotaā€˜s purchase agreement and your state lemon laws dictate the rules and timelines and I doubt Toyota deviates from them.

Years ago, I tried arbitration and the mediator ruled to give Toyota ā€œanother chanceā€ at a fix, well after the timelines expires. Lesson taken away is that itā€™s their game and i was just a player.

I had a tundra out of commission for 2.5 months waiting on parts for a recall fix for potential fire. I asked Toyota for a buy back because it was out of commission for more than 30 days. They ran their timeline out, and said no. I contacted a Calif lemon law firm and they said ā€œno caseā€ recalls donā€™t count. further reinforcing that past lesson.

Good luck with your situation, i hope itā€™s resolved quickly for you.
Thanks. I hope so too.
I'm not sure if the arbitrator case will be of much help - but it's worth a shot.
I have no idea when I will get my vehicle back.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Well this is shit luck. Bought a brand new 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Premium on August 1st.
Took it back to the dealer after 7 days since the fuel door wouldn't close; told that parts weren't available with no ETA for parts
Returned again to service on August 17th after fuel sensor stopped working and was unable to fill gas in to the car since the siphon was closed. Was told entire fuel door, fuel sensor and siphon mechanism failed and needed replacement.
Car has 310 miles on it.
No ETA on parts.
Contacted Toyota Brand Engagement to see if they could source parts for a brand new Tacoma that is currently being produced. Again told no ETA.
Just reached to a 3rd party arbitrator to see if I could get my money back or they can get me a brand new truck.
This is bullshit.
I am in same boat. Are you getting registration and all fees back? Keep me posted

Sponsored

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Car has 310 miles on it.
No ETA on parts.
This is bullshit.
You didn't get a lemon. You bought a new truck and it had a bad part. Parts for new model vehicles are harder to come buy in the current supply chain cluster fk we live in. It can and will happen on every brand/model of vehicle. Good luck with your lemon claim. I doubt you will get very far with it.

Taco437

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
You didn't get a lemon. You bought a new truck and it had a bad part. Parts for new model vehicles are harder to come buy in the current supply chain cluster fk we live in. It can and will happen on every brand/model of vehicle. Good luck with your lemon claim. I doubt you will get very far with it.
That's..fairly ambigous. A lemon has a literal definition in CA where OP is. If shop hold his car >30 days due to unable to attain this bad part, then it would qualify. So he doesn't have a lemon...yet, but technically would if they still didn't have truck back on road on 9/18.

1725665641667-5p.png

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
That's..fairly ambigous. A lemon has a literal definition in CA where OP is. If shop hold his car >30 days due to unable to attain this bad part, then it would qualify. So he doesn't have a lemon...yet, but technically would if they still didn't have truck back on road on 9/18.

1725665641667-5p.png
I went through the grill shutter issue with the early 24 builds (bought in February). I waited 39 days for the part to arrive so I feel the OPā€™s pain. Unfortunately this is the reality of the post COVID era. Sooner or later and regardless of what brand vehicle you drive youā€™re going to have a repair with extended downtime due to lack of parts.

And you better hope you are not involved in a collision. I have two neighbors that have been rear ended in the past year and both were without their vehicles for months. I understand collision parts are even more difficult to source.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Good luck with other brand of vehicles chiefā€¦ you bought a truck with a warranty, the best brand out there. Shit happens, sucks but to say itā€™s your last Toyota, youā€™ll be looking to come back after to test the waters of other manufactures

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
Car has 310 miles on it.
No ETA on parts.
This is bullshit.
Hey there slick willie so-cal-taco,
Never, ever, call a Toyota Tacoma pickup-truck a freaking car. Or any other pickup truck made by a different manufacturer. We don't do that as pickup truck owners. Take a look at your title or vehicle registration and I promise you it will state "Pickup-Truck". Get your terminology straight and you'll be just fine.

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Unfortunately, today's automotive manufacturers seem to be producing a lot of lemons if you read into all of the recalls. I think the bean counters are to blame, along with their ignorance in attempting to shaft the public during covid, becoming greedy. Now they are having to reel their a$$'s back in. I feel for you, but you certainly don't have a lemon in my mind. It seems to me that Toyota wants to take care of people as much as they possibly can in a given situation. All I know is that this is a different world from a few years ago, and reason and logic are out the window!

I would say the ETA for the lack of parts is a direct result of the fact that they are in heavy production of the vehicles, and the manufacturer will not simply just pull parts off of a line without proper sequencing to fix an issue. Ultimately your situation will be remedied.

I ran into the same kind of situation with a '21 Silverado I purchased new that year. By the 5th month of ownership well into the Arizona Summer, the AC system went out. You cannot drive a car here in the summer months without A/C. The dealer could provide me with no ETA for the resolution, none at all. I ended up trading the truck in for another. I got full credit for the purchase price of the truck, so it was a wash.

nyydynasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR5
i might be standing alone here and I'm not trying to stir the pot but people need to stop throwing the word "lemon" around. I've seen it a lot on these forums and it's a little insane, IMO. I totally understand the frustration of a transmission going bad after only 300 miles or whatever else has happened to people but that does not mean you have a lemon. All that means is Toyota has faulty parts in year-one of a new generation.

And buying a truck with a faulty part is hardly a lemon, either. You tried calling Toyota to ask them if they can source parts that you know is on backorder and you're surprised they said 'no'? So that means this is your first and last Toyota? I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on your first Toyota purchase.

I'm not here to defend Toyota at all because they need to get their sh*t together but to say you have a lemon is a bit of a stretch and going to an arbitrator to get a new truck over a faulty gas door and sensor is never going to happen, but I wish you luck .... really.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If this truck is held by the dealership for 30 days and meets the statute for Lemon Law in California this is an open and shut case. Think of it from a legal perspective the owner canā€™t put gas in the vehicle! Itā€™s a unique situation with vehicle sitting at dealership. Itā€™s totally up to the owner to wait for Toyota to fix,push for new vehicle or pursue Lemon Law. I am currently under a non disclosure agreement for a Lemon Law lawsuit in the state of California that I won. $4500 retainer $650 a hour fee all paid by manufacturer under California law. To the OP get multiple referrals from attorneys and use my personal attorneys fees as a guideline for the quality of services rendered.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i might be standing alone here and I'm not trying to stir the pot but people need to stop throwing the word "lemon" around. I've seen it a lot on these forums and it's a little insane, IMO. I totally understand the frustration of a transmission going bad after only 300 miles or whatever else has happened to people but that does not mean you have a lemon. All that means is Toyota has faulty parts in year-one of a new generation.

And buying a truck with a faulty part is hardly a lemon, either. You tried calling Toyota to ask them if they can source parts that you know is on backorder and you're surprised they said 'no'? So that means this is your first and last Toyota? I'm sorry you had such a bad experience on your first Toyota purchase.

I'm not here to defend Toyota at all because they need to get their sh*t together but to say you have a lemon is a bit of a stretch and going to an arbitrator to get a new truck over a faulty gas door and sensor is never going to happen, but I wish you luck .... really.
I have no ETA for a few parts covered under warranty and from an accident. My truck is not a ā€œlemonā€ and is in my possession. I will wait patiently. If I was in the legal realm for any reason covered under the lemon law in Pennsylvania I would pursue it. Currently my bad luck is not as sour as a šŸ‹
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.