Sponsored

Stlman37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium
For what it's worth, here's the install for a tundra w/the new mounting system:

I'd imagine the tacoma is very similar. I get my Bakflip MX4 today. I'll post an update to see whether I have the same issues.
Let me know what you come up with. The Tundra goes directly into the factory rails there where on the Tacoma, it’s required to use the adapter rail In between the two as well. Curious if anyone else has the same fit issue.
Sponsored

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Let me know what you come up with. The Tundra goes directly into the factory rails there where on the Tacoma, it’s required to use the adapter rail In between the two as well. Curious if anyone else has the same fit issue.
Will do!

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Created an account just to let everyone know of my experiences with the new MX4 from Bak.
Received It earlier today and noticed that the instructions in the box were for model years 16-23. So I had to call and got them to email over the 24 instructions which are just slightly different.
As pointed out earlier, the factory bed rails are to be left in place and this is what the cover rails mount to. Little bit of difficulty with getting the rails in the correct spot, but the real trouble is that now there is hardly any support vertically and the bed cover rails bend a ton. Tried many different mounting positions but all are coming up the same. There just wasn’t enough sturdiness with this new design to close the cover and get it to latch all the way. I’ll be returning it tomorrow to go with another cover.

Have always had good luck with the MX4s on other trucks but this is a huge let down. Hope everyone has better luck!
I heard the OEM is a bakflip MX4 is this wrong do they have a different installation method... Now I'm torn after this review.... Please if anybody installs the MX4 on the 24 Tacoma post here... Thanks... Also was this the short bed variant?

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
Looks like the new MX4 no longer has drain tubes? If so that’s a nice improvement! Mine is slated to arrive Friday.

Seems that the OEM covers shipped to date still use the old MX4 drop rail system.

Stlman37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Premium
Looks like the new MX4 no longer has drain tubes? If so that’s a nice improvement! Mine is slated to arrive Friday.

Seems that the OEM covers shipped to date still use the old MX4 drop rail system.
There are drain tubes! But they’re cheap 5/8” tubes and require drilling into the bed. Wish it was like the tundra with the smaller diameter tube connection.
I think the OEM and old BAK drop-rail system is quite a bit more sturdy and also gives easier access to the bed rails. This new design I’m not a fan of.

Sponsored

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road & 2014 Land Cruiser
How hard is the OEM Trifold tor remove if you want to run an errand without it. Is there a quick release?

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
How hard is the OEM Trifold tor remove if you want to run an errand without it. Is there a quick release?
Four bolts if you need to completely remove it from the truck. Otherwise you can just fold it up against the glass.

brentbba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Trailhunter
Four bolts if you need to completely remove it from the truck. Otherwise you can just fold it up against the glass.
@Romer

Yep, this. Folding it up against the window should work. Toyota one comes with 2 pads you put on to rest against the glass.

I like the fit and finish of the oem tonneau cover.
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240625_132114
2024 Tacoma OEM Trifold Hard Tonneau Cover PT954-35240 installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240625_132107

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, are fairly easy to remove? Thinking of times I want the whole bed and don't want to cover against the window. I did see the install and the bumpers you put on. Some times we (Local Toyota Club) volunteer with the Forest service to help maintain trails. That's a long drive and could be bulky equipment and supplies

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Romer

I like the fit and finish of the oem tonneau cover.
Brent- I am glad you like it. I like the way it looks as well.

I am glad you joined here. I told you it was better than the other site :)

Sponsored

Tekoma

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road Manual
There are drain tubes! But they’re cheap 5/8” tubes and require drilling into the bed. Wish it was like the tundra with the smaller diameter tube connection.
I think the OEM and old BAK drop-rail system is quite a bit more sturdy and also gives easier access to the bed rails. This new design I’m not a fan of.
ah bummer. I see it now. I looked over the instructions quickly and missed it. On my 2016 I made my own drain tubes that were more elegant. Will likely do the same on this one assuming I can get it to fit nicely.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Thanks, are fairly easy to remove? Thinking of times I want the whole bed and don't want to cover against the window. I did see the install and the bumpers you put on. Some times we (Local Toyota Club) volunteer with the Forest service to help maintain trails. That's a long drive and could be bulky equipment and supplies
Just a nut holding them on. Would take a wrench to remove, but you can buy a $20 kit to upgrade the bolts to a hand twist nut.

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Anyone else get there MX4 put on yet... Wanted to see how others like it or....

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Just ordered the PT954-35240 because someone told me about the 4th of July discount. Thank you!

$879.74 including taxes. Gotta pick it up 50 min away.

The money I saved is going towards a bed extender. Only problem is I can’t get anyone to confirm which one works well with this OEM tonneau… and I don’t like the OEM one because of its weird shape. Anyone? Thanks.