Rough transmission shifts

PA Dave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR
I have a TRD Sport 4x4 with about 2,200 miles now. When I first start in the morning the shift is not that smooth, specially when I’m at a stop/light and press on the gas, the from zero start is pretty hard. I have not heard any clunk or anything like that but you can really feel the shift, but once is up to speed of more than 20-25 mpg the shifts are very smooth. Also when slowing down at times I feel a slight flutter. Another thing I’m noticing is a subtle whining noise when it shift specifically when the windows are up.

Not sure if the transmission needs more breaking in or learning. At this point the stop and go traffic is not making me enjoy it as much.

Are any of you experiencing anything remotely as close as I am? Thanks.
My truck, automatic, did rough shifts from the day I got it (low gears). Also leaps at times. Sometimes it fumbles when stoping. Dealer cannot help unless it does it for the tech. Yes, that's what they told me. Had the transmission "reset", but no difference. Still misbehaves.
Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
My truck, automatic, did rough shifts from the day I got it (low gears). Also leaps at times. Sometimes it fumbles when stoping. Dealer cannot help unless it does it for the tech. Yes, that's what they told me. Had the transmission "reset", but no difference. Still misbehaves.
You need to leave the truck at the dealer so they can drive it.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
How many miles?

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
My truck, automatic, did rough shifts from the day I got it (low gears).
The sport that i test drove in May did that.
I picked up my limited in July and it was smooth from day 1. (just knocked on wood)

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
My TRD OR did this a bit, now it's sitting at the dealer waiting for a new transmission and torque converter. Root cause per Toyota is the Torque converter, it ruined the transmission.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@SonoranSurvivalist That is seeming like the cause of most, if not all of the transmission problems. Hopefully the torque converter problem has been figured out and we can all put this one behind us soon.

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
My TRD OR did this a bit, now it's sitting at the dealer waiting for a new transmission and torque converter. Root cause per Toyota is the Torque converter, it ruined the transmission.
This doesn’t sit right with me. So torgue convertr was the issue . They are gonna put the same one in. Im get my truck next week. And what another 5000 miles and the trans will shit the bed again. Toyota need to really come back with a good explanation. Trucks are not cheap and they have us in really bad situations. 3 weeks in a loaner . I bought a new truck so I wouldn’t have to worry about stuff like this.

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
This doesn’t sit right with me. So torgue convertr was the issue . They are gonna put the same one in. Im get my truck next week. And what another 5000 miles and the trans will shit the bed again. Toyota need to really come back with a good explanation. Trucks are not cheap and they have us in really bad situations. 3 weeks in a loaner . I bought a new truck so I wouldn’t have to worry about stuff like this.
It's my understanding that toyota has acknowledged the faulty torque converter and would be issuing a TSB or recall soon about it. My dealership had no intention of replacing the torque converter until Toyota called them about it and told them not to install the transmission without the new torque converter.

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
It's my understanding that toyota has acknowledged the faulty torque converter and would be issuing a TSB or recall soon about it. My dealership had no intention of replacing the torque converter until Toyota called them about it and told them not to install the transmission without the new torque converter.
Well that’s some good news. I really want to love this truck. I just need the reliability to be there.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Well that’s some good news. I really want to love this truck. I just need the reliability to be there.
There are a lot of us in that same boat. In the long run I trust Toyota to make this right, but meanwhile I think a lot of us will be wondering about the reliability of our new trucks. A TSB and a process to find and fix the affected transmissions would go a long way to restoring our confidence.

I have the same issue that you have with a new truck with questionable reliability. I am currently driving a 2011 Tundra and I have never once questioned its dependability. This will be the first time I have wondered if I can count on any Toyota, let alone a brand new truck.

soxrok2212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Interesting. I'm dropping it back off on Tuesday. Others are saying their torque converter is what failed. I'll share the details as I get them. Already missing my Taco and its not even gone yet!
Dealer said they can't find anything wrong, the funky rattling, hard park to drive engagements and harsh downshifts in the lower gears are all normal characteristics of the truck. I'm not too sure I'm buying that claim but at least I do have it documented now...

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Dealer said they can't find anything wrong, the funky rattling, hard park to drive engagements and harsh downshifts in the lower gears are all normal characteristics of the truck. I'm not too sure I'm buying that claim but at least I do have it documented now...
I think could be some truth of it being normal, maybe it’s a software problem

soxrok2212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I think could be some truth of it being normal, maybe it’s a software problem
It could be. Mine never reports itself in gears 1 or 2 even when fully stopped (which ironically seem to be the two gears giving me problems). The lowest it ever shows is gear 3 on the dash.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
It could be. Mine never reports itself in gears 1 or 2 even when fully stopped (which ironically seem to be the two gears giving me problems). The lowest it ever shows is gear 3 on the dash.
Very strange
Sponsored