Shock top hat failure on our stock 2024 Tacoma Off-Road while offroading

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Those are picts I posted of the OEM top hats on the Pro.

Do a search on torque specs - it was posted here earlier in another thread.
Sponsored

TrashPanda

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
I guess this is another thing to put on the watch list. I donā€™t think Iā€™ll ever buy first year new gen anything again. Was the Tacoma a better choice than the Colorado? Stuck with it now.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@TrashPanda Yeah - that is hard to say, but I think the Tacoma will have fewer problems than a Colorado. A Chevy tech posted a list of Colorado failure points on another thread.

I had a first year production 2nd gen Taco and I never had a single problem, so I thought wtf, I'm going for it. Now I have the most expensive truck I have ever bought and it is on the transmission TSB list. I have no idea what I would get if I bail on my current truck.

TrashPanda

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR Premium
@TrashPanda Yeah - that is hard to say, but I think the Tacoma will have fewer problems than a Colorado. A Chevy tech posted a list of Colorado failure points on another thread.

I had a first year production 2nd gen Taco and I never had a single problem, so I thought wtf, I'm going for it. Now I have the most expensive truck I have ever bought and it is on the transmission TSB list. I have no idea what I would get if I bail on my current truck.
Exact same situation. At this point, Iā€™m along for the ride. I had 3 midsize trucks to choose and the Tacoma won. The Colorado had waaay too many complaints, the Ranger Raptor was fugly, so Tacoma won.
I think what pisses me off more right now is I feel like I need to avoid the Wescott Designs kit at the moment to prevent any warranty dispute if/when something happens.

Last edited:

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yep - dealers have always jumped on mods as the cause of any suspension failure, even when it has nothing to do with it.

That was the same decision process for me. Tacomas obviously have issues but Colorados have more and I really hate the look of the Ranger. Plus Ford has a lot of quality issues too.

I am also along for the ride on the transmission. I am just over 500 miles now and starting to see some bad shifts, which will probably only get worse.

I think I am starting to miss my 14 year old Tundra!
Sponsored