Skinny Mudflaps = Rock Chips on Bed & Fender Flares

PCGen4PRO

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
So I took my new Pro Offroad for a hour and did some modest trail work and a donut or two. Got back to the house and noticed several rock chips on the paint of the bed just behind the back doors and also on the gloss black flares. I wondered how this could be and then noticed the mud-flaps that came with the truck are skinny and donā€™t cover the tire width. Any one else notice this and have the issue? Do the other models have wider flaps?

2024 Tacoma Skinny Mudflaps = Rock Chips on Bed & Fender Flares IMG_5027
Sponsored

WhiteLightning

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
So I took my new Pro Offroad for a hour and did some modest trail work and a donut or two. Got back to the house and noticed several rock chips on the paint of the bed just behind the back doors and also on the gloss black flares. I wondered how this could be and then noticed the mud-flaps that came with the truck are skinny and donā€™t cover the tire width. Any one else notice this and have the issue? Do the other models have wider flaps?

IMG_5027.jpeg
I got a few scratches from driving my pro home from VA only on my passenger side on the part of above the black fenders (the body above fenders) from semis blasting rocks back at my since I stayed in the left lane and dont have any on the drivers side. I bought a touch up pen from a nearby dealer with the exact color code and will fill them in. They are like hair-like thin scratches. I agree, those flaps should extend to the outter most part of the wheel to protect from that.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
I have full size ARK mud flaps and still get rock chips there šŸ˜” Iā€™m hoping rock sliders will stop this? They shipped and will be here early next week, also will be applying Xpel PPF after I get the touch up painting done.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
I got a few scratches from driving my pro home from VA only on my passenger side on the part of above the black fenders (the body above fenders) from semis blasting rocks back at my since I stayed in the left lane and dont have any on the drivers side. I bought a touch up pen from a nearby dealer with the exact color code and will fill them in. They are like hair-like thin scratches. I agree, those flaps should extend to the outter most part of the wheel to protect from that.
You bought it from Toyota? Do they have Terra? Also, how much was it, think I'll do the same.

WhiteLightning

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
You bought it from Toyota? Do they have Terra? Also, how much was it, think I'll do the same.
Yes, I have the Terra. Call your local dealership's Parts Department and give them the color code "4Z0" and they can order a paint pen for you for like $12. He said it would be about 2 weeks to get here and will call me when its there.

Sponsored

ReddingonTRD

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Same exact situation here. 2024 Pro Icecap. Does anyone know if PPF for these sections is pre-cut or is that a manual process?

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
I have full size ARK mud flaps and still get rock chips there šŸ˜” Iā€™m hoping rock sliders will stop this? They shipped and will be here early next week, also will be applying Xpel PPF after I get the touch up painting done.
For reference, I have Toyota mudlaps and TH rock rails and donā€™t have hardly any chips so far

Rails might help

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m gonna be busyā€¦
2024 Tacoma Skinny Mudflaps = Rock Chips on Bed & Fender Flares IMG_5540

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you look close the factory ppf didnā€™t do much.. There are still chips in there. Iā€™ll replace it all with XPEL. Manual cut to fit.

dvrgz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Long Bed
The stock mud-flaps actually look silly.

@MT-Taco youre not happy with your ARKā€™s? I was looking into getting those

2024 Tacoma Skinny Mudflaps = Rock Chips on Bed & Fender Flares IMG_5128

Last edited:

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Iā€™m happy with them, just bummed a few rocks are still getting by peppering my box! There really isnā€™t anything that offers better protection? RokBlokz are similar but more $$.

Iā€™m sure the sliders and the Xpel will solve the problem! Iā€™m also going to trim the ARKā€™s to line up with the sliders after the sliders and Xpel are installed. If I donā€™t they will probably get torn off on the first sharp drop.

yeah the factory ones look worthless!

I also think Toyota should have widened the body of the pickup not just the fenders? This is definitely a design problem.
Sponsored

Last edited: