Sport Mode MPG gas mileage?

Tacotee

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma sport
Does anyone drive on sport mode all the time if so how’s your gas mileage?
Sponsored

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Economy depends more on how you drive than the mode. I also expect it would have more of an impact on city driving than highway. In somewhat mixed driving, with a lot of effort, I could stay within about 2mpg of ECO mode, when in sport mode. I could see it being a lot worse in city driving though, probably giving up several mpg when all you are doing is accelerating harder and braking more often.

I think it's almost impossible to compare because t's very hard to drive the same in sport as you would in Eco, and that would defeat the purpose anyway. It's kind of like asking what kind of fuel economy the truck gets with a sixteen year old kid driving and all his friends in the car, versus your 80 year old grandma driving. It's running at higher rpm's all the time in sport mode, and it's hard to avoid accelerating harder and driving faster all the time. It doesn't make sense to me to stay in sport mode all the time,, other than burning more gas and being harder on the engine, what good is it doing if you are driving in traffic and slowed by people in front of you?

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
If you have it on what ever mode and drive normal like putting it on adaptive cruise, the MPG is pretty much the same. I did that last nights drive going and coming was pretty much the same.

Odzter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Sport mode also stiffens the steering wheel so I use it when driving on windy highways. It makes a big difference in steering control and it makes the truck more fun to drive. I don’t use sport mode to make the truck go faster as it’s already fast.
I don’t think you want to be driving on sport all the time as the steering will be too stiff for normal everyday driving.

Last edited:

Sponsored

mrgooden

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Minimum MPG I get driving home is 28 MPG on ECO, a 30 mile commute. I get the same on comfort mode. Drove home today in Sport++ because of seeing this post. I got 26, almost 27. There is a 500 RPM difference driving at my cruising speed. ECO and Comfort my RPM is 1500, Sport++, I was 2000-2100. I also tended to get up to speed quicker because of the increased throttle response.

Richard

Last edited:

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
Sport mode also stiffens the steering wheel so I use it when driving on windy highways. It makes a big difference in steering control and it makes the truck more fun to drive. I don’t use sport mode to make the truck go faster as it’s already fast.
I don’t think you want to be driving on sport all the time as the steering will be too stiff for normal everyday driving.
does it really make the steering stiffer? I thought it only affects the engine map on the Tacoma.

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
does it really make the steering stiffer? I thought it only affects the engine map on the Tacoma.
Yeah, I'm interested in this also. Does it really affect steering and does it do anything to the suspension? I'm assuming no to the suspension since there's nothing 'active' involved suspension-wise in my Sport.

Odzter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I do feel it does. I’m vacationing in Canada and tested sport mode again yesterday driving on the sea to sky highway which is a fast and windy highway. This time driving a rental Camry SE. The handling feels more confident due to the stiffer steering in sport mode.

Odzter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
From Toyota’s website:

Sport mode changes control parameters in transmission lockup and shifting, throttle response and Electronic Power Steering assist. The improved handling dynamics and lateral stability add to a sportier driving experience. This mode may reduce fuel efficiency.

Daveintb

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 SR5 2wd
From Toyota’s website:

Sport mode changes control parameters in transmission lockup and shifting, throttle response and Electronic Power Steering assist. The improved handling dynamics and lateral stability add to a sportier driving experience. This mode may reduce fuel efficiency.
I have the Limited and yes, in both Sports modes the AVS stiffens the shocks a little. I can definitely feel the difference.
Sponsored