Sponsored

Doctor Dirt

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma i-force Max offroad premium
While well known it’s frowned upon to leave the air dam or otherwise referred to as “The Snow Plow” on your 24 Tacoma I have left mine in place and my gas mileage is so incredible that I do not even pay attention to MPG. I run 93 octane but when filling 5 gallon jugs with 90 non ethanol for everthing carbureted I will top off truck with that. 93 is a seat of the pants difference in performance from 87. That’s a big jump in octane. Do any of you notice a difference with octane numbers ?
I took off the airdam but didn't notice any mileage difference but DID notice some weird howling sound so I put it back on.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
I came home through the Columbia River Gorge yesterday. Very strong headwind the whole time. Going 75 mph. 100 degrees, so the AC was on. Got 13.7 mpg for that tank. Can’t imagine how bad it would have been if I were pulling a trailer.
I have noticed the Taco does not like headwinds.

As aerodynamic as a billboard.

Sponsored

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
I’m assuming you are using the range guess-o-meter for your range figures? Because the fuel tank is 18.2. And 18.2 gallons times 20.2mpg would give you a total range of 368 miles.

My theory is the guess-o-meter is subtracting 3 gallons (!!) of fuel from its calculations on these trucks. That’s a huge amount of fuel, but in your case the math works out almost perfectly. My other theory is they originally set it up to subtract for 3 liters of fuel (which is reasonable) and didn’t adjust it when they went from liters to gallons.

Somebody run one of these trucks dry and test my theory!
You don't have to guess on this. The manual calls out that the low fuel warning happens at 2.7gal remaining. And if it's like other Toyotas, range is calculated against the low fuel point, not against the full tank size. Since how far that final bit of gas can get you is extremely variable depending on where/how you're driving or what you're hauling (figure 25-50mi)

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
2024 Tacoma Real-Life MPG Thread - Share Your 2024+ Tacoma 4th Gen's Gas Mileage! ⛽ fuel800

Here's another one for those complaining about fuel economy or saying those getting good fuel economy are doing something crazy. This trip was today, the vast majority of the trip into a strong west headwind, mostly flat roads. This was one way so I didn't get the benefit of the tailwind at any point. I went directly west into the wind for most of the trip and then south for a bit. Trip included everything from slow driving on gravel roads to 75mph on a state road. I was even stuck not moving or barely moving at the start of the trip due to an accident up ahead, probably 10 minutes or so. Not even close to the best I've gotten or the best conditions. Normal mode most of the way, eco only when I was stuck behind traffic from the accident. This truck is my daily driver so fuel economy was a consideration for me and I'm glad I wasn't too put off by the EPA numbers.

PCGen4PRO

First Name
Markus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
265 mile road trip at 85 mph - got 15 mpg. I have never see anything approaching 20 mpg

2024 Tacoma Real-Life MPG Thread - Share Your 2024+ Tacoma 4th Gen's Gas Mileage! ⛽ IMG_5096

Sponsored

AnotherRandomWhiteGuy

First Name
Another
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2001
fuel800.jpg

Here's another one for those complaining about fuel economy or saying those getting good fuel economy are doing something crazy. This trip was today, the vast majority of the trip into a strong west headwind, mostly flat roads. This was one way so I didn't get the benefit of the tailwind at any point. I went directly west into the wind for most of the trip and then south for a bit. Trip included everything from slow driving on gravel roads to 75mph on a state road. I was even stuck not moving or barely moving at the start of the trip due to an accident up ahead, probably 10 minutes or so. Not even close to the best I've gotten or the best conditions. Normal mode most of the way, eco only when I was stuck behind traffic from the accident. This truck is my daily driver so fuel economy was a consideration for me and I'm glad I wasn't too put off by the EPA numbers.
You probably drive mellow, accelerate reasonably, and hold consistent speed well. Makes a big difference.

WhiteLightning

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
Does anyone know how to switch the Total Average MPG that you can display on the odometer screens 1-3 to the trip A or B MPG average? Or is this not possible because I thought it was.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Ok. I will leave it be. That is not how I or the EPA looks at MPG. They don't (nor I) look at one small example and call out that for an MPG I am getting. It is for the life of the car/truck so people can figure out about what the fuel expense will be for ownership of a vehicle. I believe the Monroney even has a statement of "fuel cost during ownership". Even one tank full isn't really a true MPG rating for a (your) truck. True MPG is for the length of ownership. So hyper-miling and making claims that one is getting X MPG just for the sake of claiming some non realistic high number is USUALLY not what these threads are about.

Based on the folks that are actually looking at it longer term(and how the EPA averages it out) it appears that the Tacoma is right around the 20 MPG number. Peace out.
In fairness, EPA also doesn't look at a full tank mileage or over the life of the vehicle. They use trip mileage, but have a defined trip (ie. speed, acceleration rate, distance traveled, etc). They are just doing a relatively short trip, but eliminating a number of variables so that they can get a good comparison between vehicles, whether or not it's actually reflective of what customers will achieve. If mrgooden's primary use for his vehicle is his daily commute, and he consistently gets 32mpg, that is what he would expect to get as long as he's using it, so it's a valid response.
Sponsored