Sponsored

SR/SR5 XtraCab mechanical differences?

Hrímfaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma AC
Hello, first time poster, long time Toyota owner (33 years and counting)

I know the SR has the detuned engine, plus different cooling and lubrication. What parts are they exactly? Have searched and searched, can’t find the specifics.

Thank you
Sponsored

Last edited:

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Sr5 has an engine oil cooler, rear coil spring suspension. The sr only has leaf springs

OP
OP
Hrímfaxi

Hrímfaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma AC
Sr5 has an engine oil cooler, rear coil spring suspension. The sr only has leaf springs
Thanks, so the SR5 XtraCab has coil rear suspension?

Other than an engine oil cooler, any other differences with the drive train?

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Thanks, so the SR5 XtraCab has coil rear suspension?

Other than an engine oil cooler, any other differences with the drive train?
Actually I think the sr5 xcab only comes with leaf springs. I just think the engine is detuned and no oil cooler is the only difference

OP
OP
Hrímfaxi

Hrímfaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma AC
Actually I think the sr5 xcab only comes with leaf springs. I just think the engine is detuned and no oil cooler is the only difference
Ok thanks.

I don’t necessarily need the more powerful engine of the SR5, do wonder if I decide I do down the road, that the only things to add was a couple parts and get a factory tune. Will have to talk to my service manager to see what is all involved.

The dealers here haven’t gotten any SRs in, haven’t been able to test drive one yet.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Ok thanks.

I don’t necessarily need the more powerful engine of the SR5, do wonder if I decide I do down the road, that the only things to add was a couple parts and get a factory tune. Will have to talk to my service manager to see what is all involved.

The dealers here haven’t gotten any SRs in, haven’t been able to test drive one yet.
I would get the sr5 in the long run I think you’ll be happier

OP
OP
Hrímfaxi

Hrímfaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma AC
You might be right on that, when I do a build there is a $5000 difference. In reality on the dealer’s lot the price is closer.

2024 Tacoma SR/SR5 XtraCab mechanical differences? IMG_6312
2024 Tacoma SR/SR5 XtraCab mechanical differences? IMG_6313

Last edited:

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma SR 4x4
checked my SR and it has what look like an oil to water cooler between the filter and the engine block. I assume that this cooler is plumbed to block coolant via internal lines (there are no external lines). When I find a SR5+ I'll look at its cooler maybe the factory does have external lines like most OEM and my SR just has a fake "spacer" cooler. Either way I don't like oil to water heat exchangers in any event. I like and IMO the oil workable solution is an oil to air cooler with the cooler stuck in front of the radiator. I've done a lot of miles in work trucks all the way back to a F100 inline 240 cid with 3 on the tree and oil bath air filter, glass fuel filter.

OP
OP
Hrímfaxi

Hrímfaxi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma AC
checked my SR and it has what look like an oil to water cooler between the filter and the engine block. I assume that this cooler is plumbed to block coolant via internal lines (there are no external lines). When I find a SR5+ I'll look at its cooler maybe the factory does have external lines like most OEM and my SR just has a fake "spacer" cooler. Either way I don't like oil to water heat exchangers in any event. I like and IMO the oil workable solution is an oil to air cooler with the cooler stuck in front of the radiator. I've done a lot of miles in work trucks all the way back to a F100 inline 240 cid with 3 on the tree and oil bath air filter, glass fuel filter.
Thank you,

The SR/SR5 XC is still on the list. Not sure if it is worth it. Toyota’s cost cutting measures doesn’t reflect in price. Gone are the access doors, didn’t get the linked rear suspension, no manual trans option, no rear slider, no dampened tailgate. Finding SR5 DCs for only a couple grand more or sometimes cheaper.

My current 3rd Gen is an SR with the SX package, which is one step above absolute base, which has the V6, more power and better features than the 4G SR, not seeing a ‘24 version of my truck.

Oh yeah, I remember those Ford straight sixes, fantastic engine and hard to kill.

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma SR 4x4
I looked at an SR5 today, and the SR has a dinky spacer vs the SR5's dinky oil to water heat exchanger (not really a cooler). I'll just upgrade my spacer to a real oil to air oil cooler when they become available. Not losing any sleep over a 260 degree oil to 230 degree water heat exchanger (not really a cooler).

Sponsored

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma SR 4x4
Yes, the factory "cooler" is an oil to water heat exchanger, basically taking 270 degree oil and heating 230 degree cooling system water a little bit. Vs a real oil cooler that sits in front of the radiator taking 270 degree and cooling it with 80 degree air.

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma SR 4x4
SR also comes with a "TRD resonator" delete FREE, everyone else has to pay for a TRD exhaust... LOL... sounds the same, weighs less and cost nothing to boot.
Sponsored