Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
IMO, ALL filters box whatever must use the stock MAF diameter so I'm not buying (pun intended) any massive changes. What if a box does not use the stock MAF diameter? simple the MAF reading is hosed which ain't good for power. One probably could just leave hood open, take off filer and prop the box up and too what the MAX HP any box filter whatever would do. Last point, any improvement to the induction of a turbo just saves a little HP to drive the turbine, the turbo will reach (in this application) desired boost and then open wastegate, the slight heat injected into the air stream via the slightly more HP needed to drive the compressor is wicked away by large intercooler. If one is not increase boost (regulated by ECU program) how is so much HP gained (about 6% to 8% HP per PSI of boost). Boosted is really a measurement of restriction in the air entering the engine, until I see a boost plot with all these magical boxes, I'll remain skeptical. Last point the ECU slowly learns boost, ignition, cam, and injection offsets, it is not surprising to change something and see a big jump in HP, only to have it turned away (a dyno is a no load one shot device). Pull the ecu fuse first dyno and between every run after so the ECU is running on base tune, last dyno run put the stock box back-on and lets us see what you really get. But then you could not run fancy boxes.

My Camaro has gone up 30% HP NA and I got the stock box, the Callaway Camaro runs the stock box with a hole cut in the bottom, my supercharged Miata ND runs the stock box, my Integra Type R runs the stock box (bores sleeved stroked B20 VTEC), heck I can't think of ANYTHING that I have that does not run the stock box if able (my Camaro has a built sleeved LT1 with FA supercharger on it no so stock box won't fit... but if it did I'd run it).

Last, I'm a little leery of gauzed oiled filters and dust / sand etc. I can't think of any factory or expensive tuner that uses them. I got a K&N filter with my Edelbrock Miata supercharger and just tossed it in the trash, thick paper is good for me, so what I lose a few HP (roots supercharger more sensitive to intake restriction).

Nutshell, not much there there IMO, TRD is red and that is always faster, so others are more open so you can have more turbo sound, all use stock MAF size, so other than a ever so slightly less restrictive filter albeit one that is iffy compared to a good thick paper one.. may free up a few HP needed to drive the compressor, which may help spool but since the boost is limited by programing, somebody better tell me how it is gaining HP.
Call STILLEN they will explain it to you. Get the facts straight from the source. Then maybe your opinion on the matter could be different. Please report back when you have factual basis for your opinions.
Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not finding a need and finding no or diminishing returns for what money is spent is not crusading against those who are into their vehicle as something like a hobby or sport.

In my situation I would not want to compromise the filtering performance or warranty but would definitely consider a modestly priced filter option that could deliver better fuel economy. My pickup was bought as a tool needed for a few years. So far trials with higher octane are not really a return on what is spent. A modestly priced air filter delivering a fuel economy boost would interest me more than spending more at the pump.
Performance modification and usage of higher octane is not about improving fuel economy and saving money its about fun and going faster. Beyond the scope of your intentions with your personal truck. Don’t try and justify your argument because of money saving. The intention is to spend the cash for the thrill. Respect that.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Performance modification and usage of higher octane is not about improving fuel economy and saving money its about fun and going faster. Beyond the scope of your intentions with your personal truck. Don’t try and justify your argument because of money saving. The intention is to spend the cash for the thrill. Respect that.
Nothing says I don't. I'm not alone with the utilitarian interests. This one of two Tacoma related forums is more focused on new stuff and understandable.

The sub-forums here and for sure on another site more about travel, DIY and various build or mod and product things seem to show more like me.

I'm also biased from my light truck alternative being a performance/sport oriented AWD wagon and slightly in the autism spectrum so function always weighs has priority in my brain. The fuel economy and costs are a sincere interest for a lot of us.

I would definitely be after a product that would get a payback over 40,000 to 100,000+ miles, and I'm sure I'll still do occasional tanks of higher octane fuel.

For thrills I'll still be after them but not on public roadways.

:)

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Your crusade continues just like I said. If your keeping your truck stock great and you made that clear with your opinion against modifications included. It really seems you guys just wish to argue against any performance mods. Why? Leave us to our own interests and hobby. Should I come argue against some thread of something that interests you with your Tacoma? look at it that way.
I'm not arguing against any thread and don't understand your seeming to be agitated. This air box mod is the sort of thing that interests me but for different reasons than others. Somehow thinking there should not be different styles of pickups even if I don't want them really goes against how I think about choice and markets.

The new powertrain is to me a really nice boost over my V6 with 6 speed Toyotas so it is really simple how I don't need more power. I'd simply enjoy a cost effective fuel economy boost if it is out there. I'll definitely keep my eyes on products like this one.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not arguing against any thread and don't understand your seeming to be agitated. This air box mod is the sort of thing that interests me but for different reasons than others. Somehow thinking there should not be different styles of pickups even if I don't want them really goes against how I think about choice and markets.

The new powertrain is to me a really nice boost over my V6 with 6 speed Toyotas so it is really simple how I don't need more power. I'd simply enjoy a cost effective fuel economy boost if it is out there. I'll definitely keep my eyes on products like this one.
Bitflogger I understand you. I think maybe you’re confused with these products being strict improvements of performance and not designed for saving money or improving fuel economy. There may be products and tuners that could develop modification for your interest in fuel economy in the future . I respect your personal preference and your entitlement is totally granted. I do not like having to attack and defend but the thread will go south real fast if it turns into a “is it real or fake“ type argument. The moderator has already kept this thread On the rails once from divulging into a big back and forth.

Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
highly doubt if the box will hose anything or that the data logs would show anything, come now what is the pressure drop in the stock setup? Say sub .25 PSI. What is the pressure drop when I drive home from work (sea level to 2800 feet). 14.7 PSI - 13.26 PSI, say 1.5 PSI. Ya think Toyota is datalogging me (I have my tin hat on).
I apologize if I wasn’t clear in my writing. The mass air flow sensor doesn’t measure measure air pressure drop, but the cooling effect air passing through the MAF/electrical resistance which is sent to the Denso Gen 4 ECU along with ambient air temp values to the same ECU, in conjunction with a differential pressure sensor, in the intake manifold-part #89481-WAA01 for the T24A-FTS engine, makes adjustment for air charge pressure/boost and fuel trim. If the rate of air flow in conjunction with air temp is out of value, then it could be recorded and logged. This is no different than estimating density altitude for aircraft, calculated before attempting take off from an airport at altitude with a prop plane. In 2012- VAG/Volkswagon Audi group Bosch MED9x ECU’s did not log power output, on their B8 chassis, but in 2013, with the Siemens “Simos” ECU, they did. Any automotive manufacturer will have some for of data logging for diagnostic events. When leased VAG “Siemens “sinks” ecu equipped vehicles get their oil changed at the dealer, the vehicle is getting plugged in to look for any anomalies, not necessarily for performance mods, but for unnoticed errors the vehicle is detecting. The data is sent directly to Germany to be evaluated.
the pressure drop on air charge is an issue between the inlet side of the intercooler and the outlet side. If engineered properly, a .5-2psi drop in pressure is normal. As air pressure decreases, air volume increases and vice versa. With the three sensors measuring air temp, barometric/intake manifold differential pressure sensor, and the mass air flow sensor-the ecu makes fuel trim adjustments and verifies the results with the upstream wide band oxygen sensor.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
A dear friend who's passed away did engineering physics research in a lab funded by 3 auto makers and defense grants. As a hobby interest he build engines for race cars. Now it would be aging work, but he forever spoke of that matter of the sensor and other components as a bottlenecks.

His stories were always interesting to me because his professional and motorsports involvement always had measurement tools and methods.

This product here might be good but my Tacoma is mostly a tool and only personal transportation when my wife wants our car. The stock setup is doing a good job with heavier payloads so cost-effective ways to boost fuel economy would be my biggest interest.
Ahhh! True! A mass air flow sensor is restrictive and for stock engines, a very efficient way to measure air flow. For a performance engine-a speed density setup, when done properly- will create more power… but the risk is it isn’t as accurate/precise as a mass air flow setup.

for mileage-draft big rigs at the peril of stone damage, and coasting a distance before a stop also helps.

since the new Tacoma like to test the fuel and play with spark advance to find the threshold,
In theory: if the spark advance is allowed to be more aggressive, it would create more power with less fuel, less boost. Ideal for partial throttle acceleration. But higher octane fuel costs more.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Bitflogger I understand you. I think maybe you’re confused with these products being strict improvements of performance and not designed for saving money or improving fuel economy. There may be products and tuners that could develop modification for your interest in fuel economy in the future . I respect your personal preference and your entitlement is totally granted. I do not like having to attack and defend but the thread will go south real fast if it turns into a “is it real or fake“ type argument. The moderator has already kept this thread On the rails once from divulging into a big back and forth.
The YouTube video from stillen explains the restriction and how it impacts performance. I am curious how much this box increases noise. I know on naturally aspirated engines, it makes a lot more noise exiting from the throttle body. On my 87 Grand National, When changing the air filter set up, I didn’t notice any noise increase- but the turbo was making lots of noise to begin with.
Sponsored