Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
This thread is a good learning experience for people looking to learn what a cold air intake system is on a turbo charged engine. Lots of good information being shared. Also there is doubts that a cold air intake is real or effective. Those doubts are being addressed by forum members with very good truthful accuracy.
Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
I think the biggest difference with this box is that it is wider at the top and eliminates 2 90 degree bends allowing for better flow into the box. It isn’t going to give you “colder air” but it looks like it will allow more air flow, the ECU will add more fuel to compensate and put out more power. Although tying this in with OTT could be really impressive!
2024 Tacoma STILLEN Air Intake Box & Dyno Results for 2024 Tacoma IMG_5644

robocalifornia

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
The potential performance gains AND FUN on offer from a 2.4L turbo-charged engine is the exact reason I sold my 21’ WRX for a 24’ Tacoma. Just like Bub Rubb I like it when the whistle goes wooooooooo

Garrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I really interested to see the follow on video he mentioned with regards to running 91 octane fuel. Seems to allude that they have some data which would be really interesting to see and bring some clarity to some of the discussions that have been going around on regular vs premium fuel.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There are forum members on a crusade against performance modification and usage of premium higher octane fuel. No doubt they will chime in with opinions against those topics. Apparently it is frowned upon to trick your Tacoma out and have fun going faster.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
I buy CAI not for the performance it claims to give, but for the sound and growl it produces.

That said any turbocharged engine I ever had felt much more preppy in colder temperatures than in warmer temperatures, wether that has anything to do with the cold air it's intaking or not, is beyond my pay grade lol.

I was always under the impression CAI were genuinely less restrictive than OEM intake anyways.
Yeah same, I've owned two GTIs and they both felt faster in colder temps when the turbo kicked in.

Anyways I wonder how this mod relates to the Hybrid models, I haven't looked at whether the TRD Pro has the same design intake but I'd assume no. Also, for those saying this would void warranty, couldn't someone just throw on the stock intake before making the warranty claim? Or would they be checking historical ECU numbers on air/fuel ratio and such? just wondering

Last edited:

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Yeah same, I've owned two GTIs and they both felt faster in colder temps when the turbo kicked in.

Anyways I wonder how this mod relates to the Hybrid models, I haven't looked at whether the TRD Pro has the same design intake but I'd assume no. Also, for those saying this would void warranty, couldn't someone just throw on the stock intake before making the warranty claim? Or would they be checking historical ECU numbers on air/fuel ration and such? just wondering
I wouldn't worry about warranty. I've always just swapped intakes before taking it into the dealer. It's quick and easy. They'd have to prove the intake is what caused the problem anywho.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR

Anyways I wonder how this mod relates to the Hybrid models, I haven't looked at whether the TRD Pro has the same design intake but I'd assume no. Also, for those saying this would void warranty, couldn't someone just throw on the stock intake before making the warranty claim? Or would they be checking historical ECU numbers on air/fuel ratio and such? just wondering
Yes, one could throw the OE air cleaner assembly back on, but if Toyota HQ
Looks at any data log pertaining to ambient air charge temp vs mass air flow data, they could find that something wasn’t kosher, but that’s really going out on a limb with an accusation. Their only anecdotal proof would be overlaying the same data from a stock truck data log to find the variance.

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
I really interested to see the follow on video he mentioned with regards to running 91 octane fuel. Seems to allude that they have some data which would be really interesting to see and bring some clarity to some of the discussions that have been going around on regular vs premium fuel.
OTT dyno tested reg vs premium vs tuned post #17

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma SR 4x4
IMO, ALL filters box whatever must use the stock MAF diameter so I'm not buying (pun intended) any massive changes. What if a box does not use the stock MAF diameter? simple the MAF reading is hosed which ain't good for power. One probably could just leave hood open, take off filer and prop the box up and too what the MAX HP any box filter whatever would do. Last point, any improvement to the induction of a turbo just saves a little HP to drive the turbine, the turbo will reach (in this application) desired boost and then open wastegate, the slight heat injected into the air stream via the slightly more HP needed to drive the compressor is wicked away by large intercooler. If one is not increase boost (regulated by ECU program) how is so much HP gained (about 6% to 8% HP per PSI of boost). Boosted is really a measurement of restriction in the air entering the engine, until I see a boost plot with all these magical boxes, I'll remain skeptical. Last point the ECU slowly learns boost, ignition, cam, and injection offsets, it is not surprising to change something and see a big jump in HP, only to have it turned away (a dyno is a no load one shot device). Pull the ecu fuse first dyno and between every run after so the ECU is running on base tune, last dyno run put the stock box back-on and lets us see what you really get. But then you could not run fancy boxes.

My Camaro has gone up 30% HP NA and I got the stock box, the Callaway Camaro runs the stock box with a hole cut in the bottom, my supercharged Miata ND runs the stock box, my Integra Type R runs the stock box (bores sleeved stroked B20 VTEC), heck I can't think of ANYTHING that I have that does not run the stock box if able (my Camaro has a built sleeved LT1 with FA supercharger on it no so stock box won't fit... but if it did I'd run it).

Last, I'm a little leery of gauzed oiled filters and dust / sand etc. I can't think of any factory or expensive tuner that uses them. I got a K&N filter with my Edelbrock Miata supercharger and just tossed it in the trash, thick paper is good for me, so what I lose a few HP (roots supercharger more sensitive to intake restriction).

Nutshell, not much there there IMO, TRD is red and that is always faster, so others are more open so you can have more turbo sound, all use stock MAF size, so other than a ever so slightly less restrictive filter albeit one that is iffy compared to a good thick paper one.. may free up a few HP needed to drive the compressor, which may help spool but since the boost is limited by programing, somebody better tell me how it is gaining HP.

Sponsored

oldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma SR 4x4
Yes, one could throw the OE air cleaner assembly back on, but if Toyota HQ
Looks at any data log pertaining to ambient air charge temp vs mass air flow data, they could find that something wasn’t kosher, but that’s really going out on a limb with an accusation. Their only anecdotal proof would be overlaying the same data from a stock truck data log to find the variance.
highly doubt if the box will hose anything or that the data logs would show anything, come now what is the pressure drop in the stock setup? Say sub .25 PSI. What is the pressure drop when I drive home from work (sea level to 2800 feet). 14.7 PSI - 13.26 PSI, say 1.5 PSI. Ya think Toyota is datalogging me (I have my tin hat on).

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
There are forum members on a crusade against performance modification and usage of premium higher octane fuel. No doubt they will chime in with opinions against those topics. Apparently it is frowned upon to trick your Tacoma out and have fun going faster.
Not finding a need and finding no or diminishing returns for what money is spent is not crusading against those who are into their vehicle as something like a hobby or sport.

In my situation I would not want to compromise the filtering performance or warranty but would definitely consider a modestly priced filter option that could deliver better fuel economy. My pickup was bought as a tool needed for a few years. So far trials with higher octane are not really a return on what is spent. A modestly priced air filter delivering a fuel economy boost would interest me more than spending more at the pump.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
IMO, ALL filters box whatever must use the stock MAF diameter so I'm not buying (pun intended) any massive changes. What if a box does not use the stock MAF diameter? simple the MAF reading is hosed which ain't good for power. One probably could just leave hood open, take off filer and prop the box up and too what the MAX HP any box filter whatever would do. Last point, any improvement to the induction of a turbo just saves a little HP to drive the turbine, the turbo will reach (in this application) desired boost and then open wastegate, the slight heat injected into the air stream via the slightly more HP needed to drive the compressor is wicked away by large intercooler. If one is not increase boost (regulated by ECU program) how is so much HP gained (about 6% to 8% HP per PSI of boost). Boosted is really a measurement of restriction in the air entering the engine, until I see a boost plot with all these magical boxes, I'll remain skeptical. Last point the ECU slowly learns boost, ignition, cam, and injection offsets, it is not surprising to change something and see a big jump in HP, only to have it turned away (a dyno is a no load one shot device). Pull the ecu fuse first dyno and between every run after so the ECU is running on base tune, last dyno run put the stock box back-on and lets us see what you really get. But then you could not run fancy boxes.

My Camaro has gone up 30% HP NA and I got the stock box, the Callaway Camaro runs the stock box with a hole cut in the bottom, my supercharged Miata ND runs the stock box, my Integra Type R runs the stock box (bores sleeved stroked B20 VTEC), heck I can't think of ANYTHING that I have that does not run the stock box if able (my Camaro has a built sleeved LT1 with FA supercharger on it no so stock box won't fit... but if it did I'd run it).

Last, I'm a little leery of gauzed oiled filters and dust / sand etc. I can't think of any factory or expensive tuner that uses them. I got a K&N filter with my Edelbrock Miata supercharger and just tossed it in the trash, thick paper is good for me, so what I lose a few HP (roots supercharger more sensitive to intake restriction).

Nutshell, not much there there IMO, TRD is red and that is always faster, so others are more open so you can have more turbo sound, all use stock MAF size, so other than a ever so slightly less restrictive filter albeit one that is iffy compared to a good thick paper one.. may free up a few HP needed to drive the compressor, which may help spool but since the boost is limited by programing, somebody better tell me how it is gaining HP.
A dear friend who's passed away did engineering physics research in a lab funded by 3 auto makers and defense grants. As a hobby interest he build engines for race cars. Now it would be aging work, but he forever spoke of that matter of the sensor and other components as a bottlenecks.

His stories were always interesting to me because his professional and motorsports involvement always had measurement tools and methods.

This product here might be good but my Tacoma is mostly a tool and only personal transportation when my wife wants our car. The stock setup is doing a good job with heavier payloads so cost-effective ways to boost fuel economy would be my biggest interest.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not finding a need and finding no or diminishing returns for what money is spent is not crusading against those who are into their vehicle as something like a hobby or sport.

In my situation I would not want to compromise the filtering performance or warranty but would definitely consider a modestly priced filter option that could deliver better fuel economy. My pickup was bought as a tool needed for a few years. So far trials with higher octane are not really a return on what is spent. A modestly priced air filter delivering a fuel economy boost would interest me more than spending more at the pump.
Your crusade continues just like I said. If your keeping your truck stock great and you made that clear with your opinion against modifications included. It really seems you guys just wish to argue against any performance mods. Why? Leave us to our own interests and hobby. Should I come argue against some thread of something that interests you with your Tacoma? look at it that way.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A dear friend who's passed away did engineering physics research in a lab funded by 3 auto makers and defense grants. As a hobby interest he build engines for race cars. Now it would be aging work, but he forever spoke of that matter of the sensor and other components as a bottlenecks.

His stories were always interesting to me because his professional and motorsports involvement always had measurement tools and methods.

This product here might be good but my Tacoma is mostly a tool and only personal transportation when my wife wants our car. The stock setup is doing a good job with heavier payloads so cost-effective ways to boost fuel economy would be my biggest interest.
Just because you speak of the dead in your comments it adds nothing to its importance or truth. I have seen you use this tactic to get your point across. Why are you even on this thread if you have no intention of doing any performance mods? Think about what your doing.
Sponsored

Last edited: