Sponsored

Trailer Lights will not turn on.

Auntiegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma SR5
I was reading a thread where people can not get trailer to disconnect. I am having the opposite problem. The dealer added a trailer in settings and I hooked up boat to 2024 Tacoma SR5… ran the lights check, put in tow haul mode. There are no lights working on boat trailer… no running lights, no brake lights, no blinkers, nothing.
Took it back to dealer and they said there is power back there and they can’t figure out issue.
When I hook up the trailer should I see a message regarding a trailer being detected? I’m not seeing any messages.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
Any suggestions?
Are you sure the trailer lights work? My Taco recognizes I'm hitched up, and I believe it's using the trailer plug and rear camera to make that conclusion. If your trailer has a bad ground, that may be the issue.

OP
OP

Auntiegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma SR5
Yes, trailer lights work when towing with my husbands truck.
When you plug in the lights do you get a message asking you to verify that a trailer is detected?
We have not tried driving at all, just pulled forward a few feet.

Nixamantacoma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outerbanks
Does the SR5 have the auto headlights?

My Bronco had them and I had to turn the Auto feature off to get the trailer lights to turn on.

I think I did the same back in June on my Sport when I had a U-Haul hooked up.

OP
OP

Auntiegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma SR5
There is an Auto feature on the headlight dial… I tried everything! auto, on, brights, DRL… unless there’s another button or something I need to push, I don’t think that’s it. Thank you though- I am hoping it’s something super simple like that!!!

Sponsored

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
I would be looking for a fuse or wiring harness connector thats not fully seated

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Mine has worked flawlessly with 2 different trailers… I always have my lights on Auto.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Hopefully your go to no now.

If it happens again, you might have an intermittent short in the trailer. I hate those. Last time that happened to me, I just rewired with LEDs and a separate ground wire instead chassis ground.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Auntiegt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma SR5
Thank you Ron!
Hoping all is well but will keep this in mind! We were wondering about the trailer but since my husband never had trouble with his truck it was confusing. An intermittent short would make sense. I’m still hoping it was just a bad fuse from the get go! 🤞
Sponsored