Toyota build page is a huge disappointment

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
First off, I realize you can't actually build a Tacoma. You can merely configure your desired truck, and then see how close a dealer can match that from their allocations. However, that doesn't excuse the build page from being among the lamest in the industry. The photos don't match the build, and sometime won't even allow the right cab selection to appear. (try building an SR5 Xtracab)

Most manufactures allow you to add accessories, and then they appear in the photo so you can judge how something will look on the truck. (such as mud guards, running boards, bed covers) Toyota has totally dropped the ball on this one. Time to hire some new web designers, or give Nissan a call and borrow some.
Sponsored

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
A pet peeve of mine, Toyota becoming so arrogant that one cannot actually configure and order a vehicle. It is all about streamlining production, and of course above all, profitability.

Last edited:

Macjr67

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Black Diamond Sasquatch
Yes build and price is a weak spot for them. I’d also like to see the ARB accessories in the options list as they are clearly displayed in the photo gallery installed on non Trailhunter models

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
That said, is there any other vehicle manufacturer in the world besides Toyota and sister companies that don't do custom ordering? To me it screams "we think we're so good we can overprice and still slap you in the face with allocation only"

Toyota's ain't cheap anymore, It's great that they're reliable, and realistically were paying a premium for that reliability, but Jesus Christ atleast let us order our vehicle the way we want our vehicle if you're going to charge us an arm and a leg for it, and then slap us with high "new normal" interest rates from your in-house financing.

There's nothing special about Toyota's, and if it wasn't for their reliability they wouldn't have much. Camry's now days are an easy $35k CAD, speaking as someone who owns a Camry, they're not worth 35k, they're 25k vehicles at most.

Desert4G

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
I agree. What's the point of a build and price if you can't build your vehicle how you want. Not to mention there is just way to many options for like the TRD off road add-ons. Having more than 5 is just unnecessary and the fact you have to scroll to see each one is annoying. Keep it to 3 packages you can add. You can't see them all at once and compare. But this is first world problems.

Sponsored

shoelessjoe

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
That said, is there any other vehicle manufacturer in the world besides Toyota and sister companies that don't do custom ordering? To me it screams "we think we're so good we can overprice and still slap you in the face with allocation only"

Toyota's ain't cheap anymore, It's great that they're reliable, and realistically were paying a premium for that reliability, but Jesus Christ atleast let us order our vehicle the way we want our vehicle if you're going to charge us an arm and a leg for it, and then slap us with high "new normal" interest rates from your in-house financing.

There's nothing special about Toyota's, and if it wasn't for their reliability they wouldn't have much. Camry's now days are an easy $35k CAD, speaking as someone who owns a Camry, they're not worth 35k, they're 25k vehicles at most.
Look at the Bronco fiasco from day 1. Too many trim levels and too many options in each trim level. With all the different combinations of vehicles people want to order it just slows down production. I guess Toyota says take it or leave it. Someone else will buy it if you don't want it.

guitarist alec

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport 4X4 Longbed Premium
Still trying to determine if the SPORT Hybrid / 6 foot bed, will come in a 4 wheel drive drivetrain? Does anyone know ? Thx 🛻 current Toyota build page shows SPORT with 4WD only on the 5 foot bed ….

Last edited:

TalkingTaco444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter
Still trying to determine if the SPORT Hybrid / 6 foot bed, will come in a 4 wheel drive drivetrain? Does anyone know ? Thx 🛻 current Toyota build page shows SPORT with 4WD only on the 5 foot bed ….
there is no sport hybrid 6 foot.

I’m almost certain all hybrids are 4x4 though

we won’t know forsure until hybrid stuff is released, but if you want hybrid long bed I’m pretty sure that only comes via the trailhunter

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Look at the Bronco fiasco from day 1. Too many trim levels and too many options in each trim level. With all the different combinations of vehicles people want to order it just slows down production. I guess Toyota says take it or leave it. Someone else will buy it if you don't want it.
Sounds like we're being punished for their need to be too overly complex. Looking at the US configurator nearly gave me a damn stroke and anxiety attack all in one. Waaaaay too many packages to choose from, should only be 1/4 of that. There's no need for 15 different premium packages lol

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Sounds like we're being punished for their need to be too overly complex. Looking at the US configurator nearly gave me a damn stroke and anxiety attack all in one. Waaaaay too many packages to choose from, should only be 1/4 of that. There's no need for 15 different premium packages lol
Yup. There is no freaking reason to have mud guards as part of the package choices. Cutting out the with/without mudguards would cut the number of packages in half. They can just be an accessory to be installed at the dealer, like the rest of the accessories

Sponsored

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I hope so. That’s what I’m eying depending on price/specs!

my memory’s a bit foggy but there have been prepro trucks with that configuration rolling around right? I think I’ve seen them in a video or two.

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
yeah I’m in the same boat in that I’d like to build up a less bougie TH on a 6’ OR hybrid with some sort of lightweight pop up camper on the back (I have zero need or want for a lot of the options that come standard on the TH trim) … Having 6’ and a hybrid without having to pay for the TH would be lovely. I want that 2400w inverter so badly!

I could probably make a 5’ bed hybrid work if I build a decent storage system in back, but it would make doing my job a smidge harder since I haul odd stuff + some tools around all day for work. that extra foot would be so nice. We shall see. Here’s hoping.
Sponsored