Ruissimo

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I found the easiest way is just to take the SD card out and plug it into your computer and open the BlackVue viewer. Very easy then.
Yeah that’s usually what I do, but it should be way easier to access it through the phone app when I’m inside the car.
Sponsored

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Yeah that’s usually what I do, but it should be way easier to access it through the phone app when I’m inside the car.
I totally agree. And one thing I do is carry the adapter for the SD card in case I need to share footage with law enforcement.
Although otherwise favored the Blackvues, I don't think my next one will be a BlackVue.

Rover Rover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Testing battery levels with the BlackVue in parking mode and the Tacoma full OFF with my Fluke 289 logging voltage over a 24hr span.

The BlackVue 970x measured about 7W power consumption (parking mode, rear camera on, no cellular enabled). The brand new 12V oem Tacoma battery dropped from its 12.7V resting voltage to 12V in about ~18hr. I haven't tested draining it to below engine-starting levels but from what I've gathered from google, the danger zone is probably 11.8V and lower... or roughly 20-24hr on this setup. A smaller front-view only dashcam such as the Garmin Mini 2 only consumes about 3.5W so you could definitely stretch your battery depending on the camera.
IMG_6302.JPEG

I'm having a timed auto shut-off mode incorporated into our next generation Dongar PRO parking mode adapters for anybody who doesn't wanna risk draining their Tacoma battery too close to the danger zone.... I think maybe we'll split the difference and program the shutoff at 8hrs.

I'd love any opinions if people have any regarding:
-do you use or want to use parking mode on your dashcams? is it a must have?
-if so, how low are you comfortable draining your tacoma battery? (i.e. 11.8V, 12V? 12.1V?)
"Must have" - For some people I know who have had their car vandalized in secure garages, I think it's a great solution for those who don't want to make a visit to the local audio installation shop for wiring. Price vs convenience also definitely becomes a consideration here.

I know the Viofo kits have a cutoff voltage switch which may not be an easy implementation depending on how final your circuit is, but could account for lower voltages that come with aging batteries or situations where the car was used but not long enough to fully recharge the battery (a timer based solution that is agnostic to the voltage might accidentally drain the battery beyond a comfortable voltage if the car is turned on, used briefly, then parked again).

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
I've decided to go without parking mode for now... I want to get the dongar which one is better to use 5 pin or 10?does anyone have a link to the product to buy... Thanks... Should be nice and easy if I can connect above the headliner instead of hardwiring and not being able to close my fuse box.. Using a Viofo A229 pro (USB-C)

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
@Kjc hey Kevin (my name is also Kevin), you can check out the two products with additional explanations and video tutorial here: https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/dongar-adapters-install-your-dashcam-in-minutes.4618

I would recommend the 10-pin Type B because it's USB port windshield mountable and easier to disconnect versus the 5-pin which is meant to live entirely in the domelight. Neither product was designed specifically for the Tacoma, but the length and configuration of the 10-pin is better IMO. Our new parking mode adapter version releasing late this summer will have perfect length cables and both 5-pin and 10-pin pigtails and replaces both of these products.

Sponsored

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
@Kjc hey Kevin (my name is also Kevin), you can check out the two products with additional explanations and video tutorial here: https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/threads/dongar-adapters-install-your-dashcam-in-minutes.4618

I would recommend the 10-pin Type B because it's USB port windshield mountable and easier to disconnect versus the 5-pin which is meant to live entirely in the domelight. Neither product was designed specifically for the Tacoma, but the length and configuration of the 10-pin is better IMO. Our new parking mode adapter version releasing late this summer will have perfect length cables and both 5-pin and 10-pin pigtails and replaces both of these products.
Awesome thanks for the quick reply...Is the 10 pin unoccupied also? Or is it for the auto dim mirror.. I didn't watch the video obviously... Looking forward to parking mode ability in the future

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Awesome thanks for the quick reply...Is the 10 pin unoccupied also? Or is it for the auto dim mirror.. I didn't watch the video obviously... Looking forward to parking mode ability in the future
The 10-pin is occupied but the harness fits right in-between the OEM harness and the mirror. You'll see a video demonstration in my own '24 Off-Road

Mitch33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma OR
I've always just used a Garmin Dash Cam in my vehicles. My TRD OR is no exception. They sell them with an optional "constant power" cable that plugs into the OBD2 port that makes it super easy to use as a parking monitor. All you've gotta do is route the wire along the headliner and down the a-pillar. I could have placed it so the wire is totally hidden but I wanted the camera centered behind my rearview mirror.
2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma dashcam

Here's the link: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/772586/pn/BUNDLE-DCLIVE-CPC

BlackTaco

First Name
BlackTaco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco OR
Good evening,

I spend US$ 2.43 for dash cam + US$ 5.00 for 32GB SD Card. (From Temu)
Total is US$7.43 for 1080 resolution 2 cameras (front 180 degree cam + inside cam)
I'm using it for 3 weeks now, and I'm very satisfied with recordings and other features.

I once considered OEM Toyota dashcam seriously, but I choose the cheap Temu dashcam.
And I'm satisfied, 95%. I would not spend $500 or more for dashcam.

Just for your information.

Below is Canadian dollars. ( I ordered more to meet the minimum $15 free delivery requirement.)

2024 Tacoma Dash Cam Solutions for 2024 Tacoma cam1

Last edited:

Sponsored

Timster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I went with the ROVE R3. Front/rear/passenger cameras AND I got it on an Amazon flash sale for $179. Installed with the Dongar 5pin power adaptor and all has been good so far. Don't need 4k IMO. 1440P is just fine and stores a lot more video on the SD card. If a vehicle is close enough to you that you would need the license plate, then the resolution is more than adequate to get it.
I also like the wireless app interface but would prefer that the camera had the ability to connect to my phone hotspot rather than me having to connect to the camera wifi to retrieve video. Once connected, browsing and downloading video is pretty easy. I set my video loops to a maximum of 10 minutes each rather than the 1 minute default. It's pretty annoying that a 30 minute drive would be broken down into 30 segments.

Datrane01

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma 2024 Off Road
I just installed a Viofo dash camera with the rear camera option. I used the Dongar 10-pin adapter, and it was incredibly easy. The length of the usb dongle was perfect for either side of the mirror you want to mount the camera to. I don't regret not spending the $500 for the oem one at all.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I've always just used a Garmin Dash Cam in my vehicles. My TRD OR is no exception. They sell them with an optional "constant power" cable that plugs into the OBD2 port that makes it super easy to use as a parking monitor. All you've gotta do is route the wire along the headliner and down the a-pillar. I could have placed it so the wire is totally hidden but I wanted the camera centered behind my rearview mirror.
dashcam.png

Here's the link: https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/772586/pn/BUNDLE-DCLIVE-CPC
I have Garmin 57's in all our vehicles including my kids. Or at least I did in mine before I got the OEM dash cam. The Garmin app is so much better!

Mitch33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 Tacoma OR
I have Garmin 57's in all our vehicles including my kids. Or at least I did in mine before I got the OEM dash cam. The Garmin app is so much better!
I agree. Simple to set up and simple to use. Not the cheapest option out there, but definitely one of the more user-friendly ones.

Kjc

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR
Just hooked my Dongar up... The wires were a little short so I'm looking forward to the parking mode adaptor so we get a little longar length so I ziptied and done... Thanks @Dongar for the easy dash cam hookup keep us posted on parking mode dongar! plz!
Sponsored