Xencer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4X4
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to post about my experience getting some 4Runner Off-Road wheels to fit my Tacoma4G. I have always loved these 7 spoke wheels and found out a coworker was upgrading his 4runner to TRD wheels so I got these for a good price. I sent them out to get powdercoated in Heavy Black Metallic.

Due to my ignorance, I did not realize until after I powdercoated them, the Tacoma has the same M14x1.5 lug studs as a Tundra/Sequoia and no longer uses M12x1.5 like the previous gens. The bolt pattern is the same but the centerbore is smaller.

Well no big deal I found some aluminum hubcentric rings but the lug nuts from the Tacoma wont fit into the wheel for the 4Runner. The 4Runner lug nuts wont fit the studs on the new Tacoma. What a dilemma. The 4Runner wheels also use a mag style flat face, so you cannot use tapered or acorn style lug nuts.

I ordered a set of these lug nuts: https://lugnutguys.com/products/standard-mag-lug-nut-14x1-5-flat-top-75-shank-cragar-center-washer
After I received the lug nuts, they thread onto the Tacoma studs properly and seat properly onto the 4runner wheels. Unfortunately, these are too long. So, I did the only sensible thing I could do. I ground about 4mm off of all 24 lug nuts. I chased the threads and tapered the ends. I made sure none of the lug nuts stuck past the wheel, and I still had about 10 threads on each lug stud. Here is a quick snap.

2024 Tacoma 4Runner Off-Road Wheels Installed on 2024 Tacoma IMG_20240625_200816

2024 Tacoma 4Runner Off-Road Wheels Installed on 2024 Tacoma 20240614_165652
Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
There are these as well…good to know about the ones you bought, but technically if you had to shorten the studs, the ones you bought are too short and you needed longer lug nuts.

OP
OP

Xencer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4X4
There are these as well…good to know about the ones you bought, but technically if you had to shorten the studs, the ones you bought are too short and you needed longer lug nuts.
Holy crap thank you, I searched for lug nuts and never found these. Just to clarify, I didn't touch the studs, the lug nuts were too long so I ground the lug nuts down and still had 10+ threads left.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Holy crap thank you, I searched for lug nuts and never found these. Just to clarify, I didn't touch the studs, the lug nuts were too long so I ground the lug nuts down and still had 10+ threads left.
Ah, okay 😊 misread. But not sure I understand, why bother taking 4mm off the new nuts if they were too long? They still would have worked just stuck out a little, guess just for aesthetics you decided to shorten them?

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Ah, okay 😊 misread. But not sure I understand, why bother taking 4mm off the new nuts if they were too long? They still would have worked just stuck out a little, guess just for aesthetics you decided to shorten them?
I suspect what happened is that the shank on those lug nuts is too long, so the nut was bottoming out on the hub before it actually clamped down on the wheel.

Sponsored

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suspect what happened is that the shank on those lug nuts is too long, so the nut was bottoming out on the hub before it actually clamped down on the wheel.
ah yes, I can visualize it now - I was thinking at the flat seat, but right if shank was too long the flat seat would not hold wheel.

OP
OP

Xencer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4X4
ah yes, I can visualize it now - I was thinking at the flat seat, but right if shank was too long the flat seat would not hold wheel.
Yes exactly, I did order those lug nuts you linked. Thank you for that! I also ordered mud flaps and rough country overfenders to help keep the tire from throwing rocks, since it does poke a lot.

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2023 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma
Yes exactly, I did order those lug nuts you linked. Thank you for that! I also ordered mud flaps and rough country overfenders to help keep the tire from throwing rocks, since it does poke a lot.
What kind of mudflaps did you order? Asking because I got the OEM mudflaps put on mine and they do NOT protect the body of the truck at all.

The flares stick out too far and the OEM flaps are tapered so I get a lot of fly ups pinging my paint, even with the mudflaps and rockers on. PPF and clear coat has eaten most of if it.

I'm hoping RokBlox puts out something new. But, with how much care you're putting into your paint, I thought you might have found a better alternative to the OEMs.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Welcome - only annoying thing about those lug nuts is the exorbitant price they want for lug nuts. They must be available elsewhere for a more reasonable price.. just need to find them or the model that may use them…. I looked for a while, found some Land Rover that may fit.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Xencer

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5 4X4
What kind of mudflaps did you order? Asking because I got the OEM mudflaps put on mine and they do NOT protect the body of the truck at all.

The flares stick out too far and the OEM flaps are tapered so I get a lot of fly ups pinging my paint, even with the mudflaps and rockers on. PPF and clear coat has eaten most of if it.

I'm hoping RokBlox puts out something new. But, with how much care you're putting into your paint, I thought you might have found a better alternative to the OEMs.
https://arksplashguards.com/collect...-guards-mud-flap-micro?variant=43664039542949

I ordered these, hopefully my fender flare and these mudflaps will cover the tire better.

R.A.N.M.J.

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2023 4Runner, 2024 Tacoma