Sponsored

YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen?

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
Serious question - have you tried the USB-C connection on the right side of the navigation screen? I would've thought that would have been an AUX switch... can anyone confirm?
Sponsored

Windsor

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I Owned a 2024 for about 3 weeks before trading it in on a low mileage 2023 . Here are some comments I made on another thread :
There were a few things about the 2024 that I liked and were improvements , but overall I preffered the 3rd gen . I've owned 5 Tacomas since 2003 . The 2024 certainly had more pep with the turbo , and the 4 wheel disc brakes were excellent , NOt sure how long a turbo engine lasts as compared to the bulletproof V6 ? ----on the negative side , I found the scrolling through menus on the dash to do something simple like set the trip odometer harder than pushing the button . Android auto is great , but I do a lot of driving in areas with no cell data , or if I cross the border I usually turn my data off so if I want a gps map on the dash without using data from the phone I have to pay Toyota $20/month for that service on the 24 . My $2000 worth of snow tires and rims from my previous truck fit the 2023 , my $200 wheather tec floor mats fit .
For me the biggest piss off was the salesman promising me before I handed over the check that my $350 redarc brake controller would fit no problem . ---His boss even said " Toyota would not sell a vehicle with that towing capacity with no way to plug in a brake controller " --- I bought the truck primarily to tow 3 trailers with electric brakes , and kept getting the run around , and ran out of time before I needed to safely tow a trailer . The dealer even sent me to Action truck and said they'd pay for the brake controller instal . --- After taking the morning off work and wasting a bunch of time ,Action truck was stumped . The blue tooth controller got mentioned , but if your blue tooth is running the brakes , then no google maps or hands free phone . I might revisit the 4 th gen in a couple of years , but I decided that I'm not going to pay that kind of money to be be a beta tester for Toyota . And I'm definitely not paying that kind of money to have to splice wires to safely tow what they tell me I can tow

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I thought that the trailer brake controller was integrated into the new Taco.

I could be wrong or it could be only on some trims, not sure..

GimmeAtaco

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Only owned my truck for about two weeks. About to take on a road trip to So Cal in a few days so I will let you know. I two have experienced the heating of the Wireless charger. Given the hood is aluminum and very light weight and that I have the TRD Sport with the hood scoop I do get quite a bit of hood flutter at freeway speeds. All very minor I absolutely love the truck and the options it came with. I am looking forward to more options for modifications to come on the market. So far the only thing I have purchased for the vehicle is the canvas seat cover for the back seats so the dog can ride.

Sponsored

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR 6 speed 4x4
I Owned a 2024 for about 3 weeks before trading it in on a low mileage 2023 . Here are some comments I made on another thread :
There were a few things about the 2024 that I liked and were improvements , but overall I preffered the 3rd gen . I've owned 5 Tacomas since 2003 . The 2024 certainly had more pep with the turbo , and the 4 wheel disc brakes were excellent , NOt sure how long a turbo engine lasts as compared to the bulletproof V6 ? ----on the negative side , I found the scrolling through menus on the dash to do something simple like set the trip odometer harder than pushing the button . Android auto is great , but I do a lot of driving in areas with no cell data , or if I cross the border I usually turn my data off so if I want a gps map on the dash without using data from the phone I have to pay Toyota $20/month for that service on the 24 . My $2000 worth of snow tires and rims from my previous truck fit the 2023 , my $200 wheather tec floor mats fit .
For me the biggest piss off was the salesman promising me before I handed over the check that my $350 redarc brake controller would fit no problem . ---His boss even said " Toyota would not sell a vehicle with that towing capacity with no way to plug in a brake controller " --- I bought the truck primarily to tow 3 trailers with electric brakes , and kept getting the run around , and ran out of time before I needed to safely tow a trailer . The dealer even sent me to Action truck and said they'd pay for the brake controller instal . --- After taking the morning off work and wasting a bunch of time ,Action truck was stumped . The blue tooth controller got mentioned , but if your blue tooth is running the brakes , then no google maps or hands free phone . I might revisit the 4 th gen in a couple of years , but I decided that I'm not going to pay that kind of money to be be a beta tester for Toyota . And I'm definitely not paying that kind of money to have to splice wires to safely tow what they tell me I can tow
There was your chance to voice your opinions on 4G Tacoma having briefly owned one. Do not think you have a green light for any more negative opinions on 4G Tacoma please go to comment sections on you tube or 3G Tacoma forum if you intend to bad mouth the new generation. I have had enough of the beta test bad motor bad tranny bad Toyota talk about the 4G Tacoma. No offense but Lots of negativity that can be vented other then on here with proud owners of the 4th generation Tacoma.

First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
I’ve only posted twice on here and am new to forums in general. And I will agree that the vast majority of the 4th gen trashing has been click bait garbage, or flat out wrong.
But I think Windor’s reply was mostly fair as the thread title is “Your (honest) pros and cons of the 4th gen”
I’m certainly not trying to start anything online. Not my style in person or online. And I think (although I can’t say I haven’t been guilty of similar) to trust a dealer trying to sell you a truck to have the knowledge let alone be honest about something like third party break controller is foolish (no offense meant Windsor, just my honest opinion). Also I think I’d have rather eaten the $350 cost and purchased a truck with an integrated controller (which I did).
I do agree that the subscription requirement for Toyota maps is absurd and quite upsetting, but wanted to point out that Apple allows you to download map areas ahead of time so the idea that you couldn’t use the phone for maps in out-of-service areas is wrong. I imagine android allows the same. Most mapping apps (Gaia for instance) allow this which I’ve utilized for years in the backcountry on foot and driving where cell service is nonexistent and it works perfectly fine. I also did this recently on a road trip in my new 4th gen with CarPlay and it worked great. Just takes a small amount of planning ahead.
Overall I’m really happy with my 2024 Tacoma TRD OR. There’s a few things (hood flutter, mpg even when driving very gently in the city, lack of ability to see what’s playing on radio when using Apple Maps, no key lock for tailgate (makes smash and grab easier with camper), awful seatbelt warning, not a true full sized tire, to name a few, though I’m sure I will think of others as soon as I post) I’m not thrilled about. But as stated, overall I am really enjoying the truck. And most (not all) of the issues I’ve taken I’ll accept responsibility for as I could have done more thorough research before my purchase, though I’d have probably bought it anyway:)
To Windsor, to each their own, but I just drove my buddy’s 2021 TRD OR and think the 4th gen drives nicer, smoother, accelerates better, is more comfortable, etc. As long as you’re happy now with what you have that’s all that matters.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I thought that the trailer brake controller was integrated into the new Taco.

I could be wrong or it could be only on some trims, not sure..
Pretty sure you have ""
I’ve only posted twice on here and am new to forums in general. And I will agree that the vast majority of the 4th gen trashing has been click bait garbage, or flat out wrong.
But I think Windor’s reply was mostly fair as the thread title is “Your (honest) pros and cons of the 4th gen”
I’m certainly not trying to start anything online. Not my style in person or online. And I think (although I can’t say I haven’t been guilty of similar) to trust a dealer trying to sell you a truck to have the knowledge let alone be honest about something like third party break controller is foolish (no offense meant Windsor, just my honest opinion). Also I think I’d have rather eaten the $350 cost and purchased a truck with an integrated controller (which I did).
I do agree that the subscription requirement for Toyota maps is absurd and quite upsetting, but wanted to point out that Apple allows you to download map areas ahead of time so the idea that you couldn’t use the phone for maps in out-of-service areas is wrong. I imagine android allows the same. Most mapping apps (Gaia for instance) allow this which I’ve utilized for years in the backcountry on foot and driving where cell service is nonexistent and it works perfectly fine. I also did this recently on a road trip in my new 4th gen with CarPlay and it worked great. Just takes a small amount of planning ahead.
Overall I’m really happy with my 2024 Tacoma TRD OR. There’s a few things (hood flutter, mpg even when driving very gently in the city, lack of ability to see what’s playing on radio when using Apple Maps, no key lock for tailgate (makes smash and grab easier with camper), awful seatbelt warning, not a true full sized tire, to name a few, though I’m sure I will think of others as soon as I post) I’m not thrilled about. But as stated, overall I am really enjoying the truck. And most (not all) of the issues I’ve taken I’ll accept responsibility for as I could have done more thorough research before my purchase, though I’d have probably bought it anyway:)
To Windsor, to each their own, but I just drove my buddy’s 2021 TRD OR and think the 4th gen drives nicer, smoother, accelerates better, is more comfortable, etc. As long as you’re happy now with what you have that’s all that matters.
As far as the maps without service goes, On is a good option too. They allow you to download offline maps and it integrates with apple/android to display on the screen.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR 6 speed 4x4
I stand by my comment. The dig on 4cyl turbo vs V6 reliability and beta tester was below the belt and out of line. If you stick em then you stuck em so fuck em.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Off road, did 2 trips from LA to SAC already…

Pros: looks, drive, turbo, screen size(upgraded), leg space (good for midsize truck), easy to drive, have yet to test off road features
Bottom seat storage,
different charging options
Nice balance and shocks, feels like you can drive it anywhere

cons: middle console material quality, doesn’t seem as durable,
phone charger(seems to move a lot and go off and on for charging),
Space between driving wheel and dash is not enough, I often accidentally scratch the top of the dash when moving my fingers around the wheel (smh)
Overall seat quality is mid af (def could be much more comfy but they are okay)
Paint seems okay, already got 1 random small paint chip in the front

Overall I would give this truck an 8.8/10
I do not regret purchasing, heck I love this truck (first truck owner) but there are definitely things I would improve and some stuff is already awesome
(Did I mention looks) l o l

Sponsored
First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
To Maxx075, if you meant OnX yeah it’s another great option:) I’ve used both Onx and Gaia and they both perform well and integrate nicely with CarPlay. I didn’t mention android because I haven’t tried it with those apps but I imagine it also works great.
Thanks for the additional suggestion. Most hunters seem to prefer OnX so I’m probably of the minority opinion here (not here as in this forum but here as in majority of hunters’ preference) but I’m partial to Gaia because I think it has better maps for off-roading and hiking off trail but it’s just personal preference. OnX is awesome.

First Name
Chapman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Personally I didn’t take the question as a dig. Just mentioned as an uncertainty. I will agree the beta tester comment was unnecessary but I wouldn’t say out of line, but you are of course free to interpret it another way. I like my 4th gen Tacoma a lot. That’s all that matters to me right now.

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
TRD OR 6M base Canadian spec. Really enjoying the truck so far.

The only cons I could think of, maybe a USB port for my music? I dunno I might not be really into tech. But I’ve always listened to my music off a USB stick.

People have told me to just connect my phone to the truck. But honestly, when I drive, the phone doesn’t exist for me.

someone mentioned a noisy wiper motor. I have noticed it is loud. But not to the point of being bothersome.

That’s it. Love the truck. Oh and I love iMT for the rev match downshifts. It’s like the lazy man’s manual.

where can I find the boost gauge?
You can use a USB with an adapter USB to "C" chord, or just buy a "C" memory stick. It plugs in on the right side of the display. That is my preferred method too.

Romer

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
200 Series Land Cruiser
You can use a USB with an adapter USB to "C" chord, or just buy a "C" memory stick. It plugs in on the right side of the display. That is my preferred method too.
Can you download then to a memory in the setup so your music library is part of the entertainment setup?
Sponsored