Sponsored

YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen?

Someguy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRDOR 6MT / 2023 4Runner Limited
Have a TRDOR 6MT w/ upgrade package.

Cons, if I’m really tying to be critical: Gas tank is too small. Cup holders could be better. Wish I could lock the rear dif in 2wd. The app is only free for a year. Wish there was a vent for rear seat passengers. Engine note is not pleasant, but there are times when I appreciate the agricultural sound.

Pretty much my favorite vehicle to date. Comfortable, quick enough, family loves it.
Sponsored

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter LB, Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
‘24 TRD Sport (premium package), now at 9200 on the odometer

I would add as a negative the size of the fuel tank. It’s way too small. At my best highway mileage I do well to get 300 miles between stops.
I just wanted to comment on this part. If you're seeing 21.4 on the highway then your range should be over 380 miles. Are you going off the estimated range it shows? Because that estimate is leaving about 3 gallons of gas in reserve.

run_ruh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road Premium Package 6-Spd (white)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off - Road 6 M/T premium package in white.

This is my first brand new truck at 35 yoa, so this review will be on the positive side.

Had a check engine light at 1000ish miles. It was just an O2 sensor, bank 1 sensor 1. Not even a little upset, shit breaks.

Mods so far: Full frontal PPF, Ceramic Coating, driver/passenger windows tinted to match the back, sunroof tinted to 5, full under rust proofing and rubberized undercoating, TRD Shift knob, LED front blinkers, painted black exhaust pipe, rough country HD2 runners, yankum hitch recovery point with rough country d-ring, victory 4x4 engine cover, screen protector, center console organizer. (so much more coming)

First off, I am 5 foot 8 inches tall and weigh 160 lbs and my wife’s even smaller, so the back seats have plenty of room.
  • Things I like
    • Loving the engine more and more as I put miles on it. (started at 3, now I’m over 1,600)
    • Great to drive, handles amazing in my mind for how big it is.
    • Adjustable head lights and rear-view camera angle are an awesome touch
    • Using the cameras to park is great too
    • The interior is awesome, I love all the storage, and huge media screen/system is fantastic and easy to use. Carplay is awesome and I dont mind the charger station.
    • The audio system sounds great. I watched a video on how to “tune it” as best it could be.
    • The amount of how to videos already online are great, and I’m sure will get even better.
    • Eco mode is my primary drive mode, but putting it in sport really turns the engine up
    • The interior ride is super quite (I think the undercoating really quieted mine down)
    • The bed is plenty big enough, if it ever isn’t that’s what trailers are for.
  • Things I would like to change
    • I want the turbo louder
    • I do wish the side mirrors would auto fold in when parked.
    • I don't like that the maps system of carplay always tries to suggest a route. Does anyone know how to turn that off?

datkins

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 prerunner
I just wanted to comment on this part. If you're seeing 21.4 on the highway then your range should be over 380 miles. Are you going off the estimated range it shows? Because that estimate is leaving about 3 gallons of gas in reserve.
You are correct… and yes I was just going by the computer suggested range. Thanks for pointing that out. I was assuming the estimated range was more accurate than it is. A simple calculation is helpful. 🤓

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
  • I don't like that the maps system of car play always tries to suggest a route. Does anyone know how to turn that off?
Go into what ever map app your using. Car play just mirrors what the app is providing.

Sponsored

run_ruh

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road Premium Package 6-Spd (white)
Go into what ever map app your using. Car play just mirrors what the app is providing.

I have never any had my maps open on my phone while driving. I have opened the setting on my phone maps and the trucks, I cant find a single thing. Does yours not do the suggested route every time you start the truck?

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
Things I like or love...
* I absolutely love there is no start/stop function!
* This is the most fun vehicle I have ever owned! I had a 2016 Tacoma pro and this is so much nicer than that as far as the ride with the engine/transmission!
* I'm 5 foot eight and this is very comfortable for me. Side note: The rear view mirror is adjusted all the way up, so if you're much taller than me, I don't know how you use it.
* I absolutely love the 6 foot bed! That should be the standard bed instead of the 5 foot bed imho!
* The visibility is great and the side mirrors are a good size.
* and everything else that everybody likes is pretty much point on.

Things I don't like or hate...
* I absolutely hate the back up camera view. It is so distorted on the sides when backing out of a parking space. The only times I pull head on is when their angled spots. It makes it look like I'm going to hit one of the other vehicles that are parked and not moving. I've never had that issue with any other vehicles even with the larger screen.
* I don't like the size of the entertainment center. I don't think it needs to be any larger than a 12" screen. I don't see the purpose of having it so large with giant icons. That's just my personal opinion.
* I hate the options on the instrument cluster keep changing. I always have it set to number 1 and it always changes to numbe3. So I changed the the options in number 3 to what I wanted and then it always goes back to number 2 setting. Go figure!
* I hate that I can't put the windows down with the key fob or the app so that it cools down before I get in, especially now that they're saying the glue in the headliners is a carcinogen when it's all heated up. Hopefully, that will change when I receive my CARISTA OBD Scan Tool tomorrow that I've seen some of you guys review. That'll be a game changer!
* Yes, the phone charging option is retarded and I don't even use it. I use the Lisen phone holder from Amazon $12 - $15 with a short cable down to the USB port. Works great for using Waze. I don't like using CarPlay though one day I might try it again. It might learn to like it. See pics.
* I don't like the bed makes a noise when I hit good bumps like those old drop-in bedliners do.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Overall, I wouldn't trade this for any other make!

As an owner of a new generation, I get surveys once every couple weeks and I fill them out. I hope any of you that get them do the same thing because that's the only way they will know about issues and fix them and put TSB's out also.

Safe driving you all.

Phone holder 1.jpg

Phone holder 4.jpg

Phone holder 3.jpg

Phone holder 2.jpg
The basic backup camera has two modes, one is pretty standard the other gives you a very distorted view. Uou can change it with the icon on the bottom left (I think) of the screen. The other icon changes your backup lines.

Not sure if that's helpful to you or not.

Tungstenisw

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD OR
I've got a Bronze oxide Sport. Love the seats, don't like the weird, bright white trim. JBL sound system is ho-hum. Front removable dash speaker is too loud and no acceptable way of toning it down. If this wasn't a pkg deal, I would not get it. I'd take it to an audio dealer and let them do their magic. I've got the irregular tailgate gap thing. Drivability is good and I get about 18mpg around town. Will be taking a 600 mile road trip next week, so we'll see the highway mpg. The truck feels more like a full-size than mid size as far as visibility around the hood and going down narrow streets with cars parked on both sides.
You can get some dashboard accents that I think make the "weird white trim" look great!

2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? TCC1

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
@SonoranSurvivalist and @datkins

Bad MPG is a very commonly reported problem with Turbos. If you are gentle with them they can definitely hit much better MPG numbers than their larger non-turbo equivalents. That is how they end up getting their EPA ratings, but once you trigger that turbo it will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the amount of gas being burned. Even if you think you are being gentle with it, it still might be enough to trigger the turbo more often then the EPA rating accounted for.

Thus, turbos will have WAY more variation from EPA numbers than traditional non-turbo engines. Honestly, I think it has ended up being a false environmental narrative with newer vehicles. They should be doing real world analysis on vehicle MPG to determine realistic behavioral based MPG and make their rules (or even actual EPA MPG numbers) based on that.

Dataman

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 1st Gen Toyota Tacoma
I've owned / driven a 1st gen 2001 taco since 2004. It is a SR5 with a v6 engine. I love it and have NO intentions of letting it leave the family (my youngest daughter and her fiancé currently drive it).

After researching & watching YouTube videos since last year, I finally contacted a broker in March of this year to find me a new blue 2024 Tacoma TRD Sport with the “premium” package and has as many of the “wants” that I could get (moon roof, power tailgate, power outlets, panoramic view cameras, 14” screen, 8 way power seats, 18” TRD wheels, double cab, etc). Didn't have to put a deposit on it. Just simply waited a few months until it arrived. I took possession of it on June 6th. I love it! (I still love my old Taco too) Probably the very first thing I did was take off the air dam. That currently resides in the garage until I can figure out a permanent storage location. I currently call my old truck "Taco 1" and my new truck "Taco 2".

Taco 2 has a tighter turning radius than Taco 1. And, though Taco 2 has a 4 cylinder engine, it definitely has more "get up and go" than Taco 1!

Though gas is expensive, I could care less about mileage unless there’s some issue causing it to get ridiculously low mpg. This is only the second brand new vehicle that I ever owned and I’m looking for the experience along with Toyota’s reliability.

I am impressed with the seats! They are both heated and ventilated. Having used both, they work well! One of my daughters told me that when the cool ventilation is on, it almost feels like she has peed in her pants! Lol! Leg room is more than adequate, even in the rear.

Taco 2 has cameras it seems like everywhere! I am still getting used to that and have mixed reactions. The rvm (rear view mirror) is “digital”… I’m not yet sure which camera it uses (either the one at the rear of the cab or the one on the tailgate). It can be somewhat disconcerting… in a traditional reflective rvm (which Taco 2 also has), one’s eyes can focus on objects differently in the mirror based on how far behind the vehicle the object is. When the rvm is in “digital mode”, the focus plane for one’s eyes is solely on the rvm itself and does not change depending on where objects are. This is disconcerting. Additionally, the digital mode has different zoom levels. When I got Taco 2, the rvm was zoomed out. When I discovered how to zoom it in to a more natural zoom level, it was much less disconcerting. I am currently using the rvm in the traditional way with the digital turned off.

Taco 1 has a double storage arm rest between the front seats… a compartment on top, and one below. Taco 2 only has a single storage compartment. I miss the double storage, but its not that big of an issue.

I don’t have any real complaints regarding the phone charger except that when I get a text and the widget info is on the bottom, one cannot see that due to the phone’s position (I have an iPhone).

I am somewhat annoyed with Apple Carplay… it sometimes gets in the way of what I can do with my iPhone WITHOUT Carplay. I am still studying this aspect of Taco 2 though.

The JBL sound system I don’t care much about, but that’s because I rarely listen to the radio or music while driving.

The 2 rear quarter panels and the tailgate are non-metallic. This makes it impossible to put on magnetic bumper “stickers”.

Mods so far:
  • the aforementioned removal of the air dam
  • installation of my “oogah” horn which I’ve had before my first manual truck (before Taco 1)
  • more planned
2024 Tacoma YOUR (honest) Pros & Cons of the 4th Gen? Taco 2 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tacoflvrd

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD sport
I have never any had my maps open on my phone while driving. I have opened the setting on my phone maps and the trucks, I cant find a single thing. Does yours not do the suggested route every time you start the truck?
It pulls from your favorite locations. You have to turn it off in the settings of your map app on your phone.

sparkytaco

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
I love my 4x4 offroad and too many pros to list. Maybe it's just me, but the main con is with the Toyota iOS app I used for the digital key they give you for 1 year that works when it wants too. I constantly have digital key problems (connecting/redownloading/deleting app) to fix it. I deleted the garbage. Back to keyfob for me and that is fine.

The only other issue I noticed was the XM receiver is not quite as good as my 3rd gen. I get more dropouts. Nothing major, but I notice it a bit more.

All-in all, easy 9/10 for me and the 4th gen is a great upgrade!

APKurt

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road in Celestial Silver
So far I am very pleased with the truck.

My biggest con is the size of the gas tank. I tow a relatively light trailer (2700 lbs dry) for camping/overlanding, and because of poor gas mileage while towing, I frequently need to refuel. I have a couple of jerry cans, but even then, I wonder if I could make it across the entire Mojave road.

My other cons are super nitpicky:
- needed to purchase an aftermarket shelf for the center storage bin
- skid plates are flimsy and will be replaced
- trailer hitch is positioned very low
- seatbelt alert is incredibly annoying
- mudflaps are a bit too narrow to adequately protect from rocks with 33 inch tires

People are complaining a lot about price, but the truck doesn't seem too out of line compared to the competition. Personal opinions on why Tacoma is worth vs the competition:
- I like the look of the Colorado, but I really don't like the auto-locking rear differential. Electrical gremlins seem to be an issue with the Chevys as well
- I think the Ranger looks ugly and the price difference isn't that significant. Plus Ford's reputation for reliability has really been poor in recent years.
- The Gladiator is ugly unless you get it lifted or purchase a Mojave or Rubicon, which puts you way over the Tacoma sticker
- The Frontier looks good, but having seen the 4wd system in action on TFL and others and considering Nissan's reliability lately, it wasn't the truck for me. I have owned many Nissans in the past and they used to have a great reputation, but that has slipped a lot
- The ridgeline is barely a truck

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
@SonoranSurvivalist and @datkins

Bad MPG is a very commonly reported problem with Turbos. If you are gentle with them they can definitely hit much better MPG numbers than their larger non-turbo equivalents. That is how they end up getting their EPA ratings, but once you trigger that turbo it will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the amount of gas being burned. Even if you think you are being gentle with it, it still might be enough to trigger the turbo more often then the EPA rating accounted for.

Thus, turbos will have WAY more variation from EPA numbers than traditional non-turbo engines. Honestly, I think it has ended up being a false environmental narrative with newer vehicles. They should be doing real world analysis on vehicle MPG to determine realistic behavioral based MPG and make their rules (or even actual EPA MPG numbers) based on that.
100% agree with this. Just put your boost guage on the same page as the fuel economy gauge. It’s almost linear.

Madmez

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rav
I like the way it sounds. All that clicking and clacking.

I hate that the height of interior rear window is smaller than the outside window. Everytime I load stuff in the bed, I can't see anything.

Just today there was a 24 sport behind me on the street and that thing looked awesome.
Sponsored