TRD Off-Road automatic lost gears 1-5

Brody919

First Name
Brody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OF DCLB
Got AAA a few years ago and while I've only had to use it for a motorcycle crash, I'll keep it forever just for this reason. sometimes you can get a tow through your insurance company for free as well, just a heads up to everyone
Sponsored

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Lol I have truly thought about being very public and pulling military or whatever card possible to get my point across. They got the whole team to work on their truck. But I don’t get one lol

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
Got AAA a few years ago and while I've only had to use it for a motorcycle crash, I'll keep it forever just for this reason. sometimes you can get a tow through your insurance company for free as well, just a heads up to everyone
My insurance would not tow. Also they wouldn’t provide a rental unless the truck was involved in an accident. I guess I should have crashed into something before the transmission finally failed.

Brody919

First Name
Brody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OF DCLB
That sucks. for what its worth, I think AAA is worth it. the company that my insurance company used when I needed my spare put on in the rain made me wish i would have just gotten out and done it myself. Two guys showed up in an Elantra no logos no uniforms just two regular guys, demanded I roll my window all the way down so they could talk to me. I put my girl in the driver seat put it in 4H and told her I was gonna wait outside the vehicle while they changed it and if I so much as sneezed she was to floor it regardless of damage. Didn't have any issues but Got AAA the next day.

OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' RAV4 Hybrid Limited, '24 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
Hey everyone, just an update. It needs a new transmission. They have another '24 Tacoma getting a new transmission already here (no specification on if manual or automatic). They're offering a tundra to get my family and I back home. We're also seeing if they can just tow it to my local dealership, shuttle my family and I home, and I can work out a loaner with my local dealership. Also, they didn't charge me for the 48 mile tow to the closest dealership.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
So there really does seem to be transmission problem with the 4th gen and not all of the YouTube histeria was just click bait. It makes you wonder if there will be a stop on sales while Toyota figures out what is going on.

Glad to hear that Toyota is taking care of you @SonoranSurvivalist and it sounds like it will all turn out OK eventually. Let us know how long it takes to get it fixed and back to you.

OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealership doesn't believe it's a trend, the other one in their shop was the first... Still has the temp tags on it too. They took me into the bay and showed me the new transmission.

1000004419.jpg

Also, my local dealership is going to pick up my truck and bring it to town as well as get me a loaner.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Good news all around. I for one definitely hope the tranny failures are not a trend.

It sounds like your local dealer is stepping up, which is great. Any truck maker can have problems particularly with a new model. It is good to see Toyota taking care of you, which they have always done for me the few times I have had problems.

A happy ending to nasty story IMO.

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
So there really does seem to be transmission problem with the 4th gen and not all of the YouTube histeria was just click bait. It makes you wonder if there will be a stop on sales while Toyota figures out what is going on.

Glad to hear that Toyota is taking care of you @SonoranSurvivalist and it sounds like it will all turn out OK eventually. Let us know how long it takes to get it fixed and back to you.
And think...the only ones you're going to hear about are those that use these forums. Likely a very small segment of the buying public.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road

Yea brotha. It’s definitely a real thing and not just hate. I personally know 7 now. And that’s a very small bubble of people I’ve talked to. It’s like ok they replace my trans with a new. But then how good will the new trans be? Probably the same problems.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yea brotha. It’s definitely a real thing and not just hate. I personally know 7 now. And that’s a very small bubble of people I’ve talked to. It’s like ok they replace my trans with a new. But then how good will the new trans be? Probably the same problems.
In my experience there is really no way to know just how many failed transmission are out there. Happy 4th gen owners are out driving their trucks and people with dead trucks post on forums to vent. That is something I have seen on all kinds of forums and only Toyota really knows what the numbers are.

I will say that Toyota does better than a lot of other companies at figuring this kind of failure out and finding a fix, so the replacements might or might not fail. The 4th gen transmissions are made by Aisin, which has a good overall record of reliability. They do have failure points - oil pumps and valve bodies are two, so only time and miles will tell.

I do know it won't stop me from buying a new Taco, but it would crazy not to be concerned.

OP
OP
SonoranSurvivalist

SonoranSurvivalist

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I still love my truck, and I'm looking forward to getting it back. However I'd be lying if I wasn't going to think twice about taking another extended trip with my Tacoma. I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to give the new transmission a reliability test when I get it.

The key here is Toyota and their dealerships are just as concerned as I am, pretty much everyone at the dealership were speechless when they found out it needed a new transmission.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
I still love my truck, and I'm looking forward to getting it back. However I'd be lying if I wasn't going to think twice about taking another extended trip with my Tacoma. I'm not even sure how I'm supposed to give the new transmission a reliability test when I get it.

The key here is Toyota and their dealerships are just as concerned as I am, pretty much everyone at the dealership were speechless when they found out it needed a new transmission.
I’m honestly with you brotha. I love the truck and excited to get back in it. But still have concerns like you. If all else fails. I mean it’s just issues. Hopefully the ranger raptors will be easier to get and I’ll go that route.

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
My insurance would not tow. Also they wouldn’t provide a rental unless the truck was involved in an accident. I guess I should have crashed into something before the transmission finally failed.
Add a mechanical breakdown rider to it. Most insurance companies will offer it on a new vehicle.
Sponsored