Sponsored

Going from full size to 2024 Tacoma?

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Anyone switch from a full size truck to tacoma ?
Whats your experience ?

I'm a bit nervous to trade in my 3500 for a tacoma. It just looks so much smaller. I no longer need the massive towing ability so smaller makes sense.
The ride and offroad capabilities will be much better.

Just curious how others find the transition.
Sponsored

BlackTaco

First Name
BlackTaco
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Taco OR
I regret to change my truck from F-150 to 2024 Tacoma.

I am driving 2024 Tacoma 4 months now, still I regret deeply, it's small. Much small.

I cannot return Tacoma for refund, or I cannot sell it because a big loss.

Stay with Full size truck. I regret.

Whiskey3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I've never owned a full-sized truck, but I've had to drive them for work. I greatly prefer mid-sized trucks like the Taco because they're easier to maneuver, easier to find parking for, etc. That being said, I don't have to haul or tow anything massive and I don't usually have passengers in the rear cab.

If it's just you and another person who want to go off-roading or hauling a respectable amount, then I'd go with a mid-sized. Today's mid-sized are the same size as older full-sized trucks anyway. But if you frequently have passengers in the back or plan on hauling massive cargo, then I'd probably stick with the full-sized.

Tacomel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and 4Runner
I went from an 07 Tacoma to a full size truck (tundra). Their are many pro's to having a full size - most noticeably the interior space and bed capacity. That being said I am planning to drop back down to a Tacoma (mine should arrive any day now!). The tacoma will handle all the towing I need (2k lbs trailer) and while loosing some of the interior space, especially in the back seat, will be missed, the gains in just daily drivability are huge. The overall length/width/turn radius on the tundra are just a pain for parking and driving around town, and the size has not been great for trails either. The tacoma is just so much more nimble and friendlier for getting around town and on the trails.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I went from a Tacoma to a Tundra and will soon be going back to another Taco. I guess I had just adapted to the size of my Tundra, because sitting in a 4th gen it seemed small to me also. When I first bought the Tundra it seemed gigantic and I still find myself in situations where it just doesn't fit.

But I don't need a huge truck anymore and I don't want to go on fueling that 5.7L engine, so I am happy to be making that change. I think a midsize is perfect unless you really need to tow or haul heavy loads.

Let us know what you think if you make the change.

Sponsored

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
I am coming from an ‘09 GMC Sierra that I had for 11 years. Great truck, very reliable and did everything I needed it to. I used to pull our holiday trailer with it but our family kept growing so we bought a Suburban a few years ago and it gets all the towing now. Love the Suburban too.

For my current needs, the Tacoma is perfect! No regrets. I still need a truck box from time to time and it serves that purpose while being better on gas and fitting in my garage way better than the half ton.

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I'm downsizing from a 2018 F150 to a 2024 Tacoma and I also share your concerns. Before the F150 I only owned Toyota midsize pickups, but with three kids in carseats the F150 just made sense. 5 years later and my kids are no longer in carseats and we've bought my wife a Ford Expedition Max and that's become our family vehicle. We very rarely are all in my F150, if anything it's me and one kid going to sports practice. I work in the city and I'm looking forward to the smaller size of the Tacoma for parking and being able to fit in parking garages again. Almost all the parking garages in our area are 6'-8" clearance and my F150 just doesn't fit (leveled on 35" tires). I know there are things about the F150 that I'm going to miss (massive interior storage space and the flat floor in the back are life changing), but I'm also looking forward to driving a smaller truck again.

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
If you still have young kids I wouldn’t do it.

If you are through that phase I would. That’s why I upgraded the F150. Tacoma is perfect for what I need. Not hailing a trailer or boat anymore. Using it for golf, hockey, skiing, hiking.

Way more fun to drive. A little better on gas. Easier in tight spaces ect.

But like I said. If you still needs tons of cabin space or hauling capacity don’t do it.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I cannot return Tacoma for refund, or I cannot sell it because a big loss.
You should see what your Tacoma might bring on either a sale or trade in. They hold their value better than most vehicles and the 4th gen trucks are still in high demand, depending on the model.

I would find a way to move on because life is too short to be driving a truck which you obviously don't like.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Whats your experience ?

I'm a bit nervous to trade in my 3500 for a tacoma. It just looks so much smaller. I no longer need the massive towing ability so smaller makes sense.

If your having doubts, don't do it.

Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Just downsized from a 2013 Tundra with 6.5 ft box to a 24 Taco with a 5ft box… No regrets.

Reactions: Ron

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Whats your experience ?

I've had F150s and Ram 1500s. I didn't go from any of those to the smaller trucks but I'm glad I'm with the smaller trucks. I don't miss the bigger trucks at all. Much easier to maneuver around town and park. Parking spaces around here seem to be made for smaller cars because it's been small towns for a long time and wasn't prepared for the influx of people. My advice would be to rent a small truck for a week and see how you feel about it. Good luck in whatever you choose.

Reactions: Ron
OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
This thread confirmed my thinking. I love my current truck but im tired of my teeth rattling every time I hit a pothole.

I park in the back of parking lots cause there are no cars there and my truck really fills a spot. Then 2 wankers park on either side of me - still plenty of empty spots everywhere.

I want a Taco cause its smaller and meets 95% of my driving needs.
Still need a truck bed and 4wd and tow some smaller trailers. I do some off-roading but when it gets gnarly, ill take my side by side.

My iForceMax Limited arrived at the dealer on Saturday and it seemed small after driving there in a 1 ton. Duh...

Im pretty sure I can love driving the Tacoma but my current truck will probably miss me.

Waiting for PDI this week.

MJE

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
Keep us up to date on what you think of it! An F-150 was my all time favorite should not have sold vehicle. But they are awfully large for parking around the city. SO I bought a good sized city car which is too small, so now thinking a midsize may be the way to go.

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I downsized from a 2021 Silverado 1500 to the Tacoma. I don't need a big pickup, but I have driven them for years now. I'm much happier in this Tacoma. I'm getting older, and this thing is so much easier to park than a full-size. Better fuel economy as well. I'm only fueling up maybe once every other week, vs every week with my 1500 (6.2L) I can honestly say I'm very happy in the Tacoma, even after giving up a number of creature comforts I had in my High Country Silverado to this Off-Road TRD Tacoma model. Everyone has their own path to follow, as for me this was the right choice.
Sponsored