Sponsored

Shock blown through the top while driving down paved road 😡

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
There is already an aftermarket fix for this from Icon. They have a pretty good video up on their page about this issue.

here is the link to the product info page :

https://www.iconvehicledynamics.com/news-blog/5026/new-product/
Bummer about the stock TRD front shocks, basically the integrated bump stop is the problem. The shocks feel pretty good off-road but the front bump stops hit way to easily and abruptly. Ill look at the Icons, but will probably wait for a nicer aftermarket upgrade from Bilstein.

Edit: just watched the Icon video, very imformative.The clunk IS the internal bumpstop and not the shock bottoming. But it does engage too hard.
I just ordered a set of the caps. Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

GMak621

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD ØR

CuriousTaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRD OR Base

Sponsored

Duce95

First Name
Big Deezy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Offroad
Icon instructions say to torque to factory spec. Anyone know what the spec is?

I’m in for a set!

Last edited:

tacogarage

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd and 2nd Gen Taco
Icon instructions say to torque to factory spec. Anyone know what the spec is?

I’m in for a set!
I need this for my Taco so bad. How much?
We posted all of the suspension torque specs a while back here...

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...el-torque-specification.831217/#post-29790553

We ran into this same issue a while back.... on this thread...
https://www.tacoma4g.com/forum/thre...k-2024-tacoma-off-road-while-offroading.3357/
Icon and a few others have obviously seen the same weakness,
We came up with a fix because toyota was like 200 units backordered and we needed the truck for other stuff so we could not leave it at the dealer.

Our top late reinforcement is a little different than icon's but has the added bonus of getting you about an inch of lift, check it out here...
https://thetacogarage.com/products/...oard&utm_medium=product-links&utm_content=web

For anyone reading this, use code T4Gtop15 to get 15% off your reinforcement plates, or simply click on this link to apply it automatically https://thetacogarage.com/discount/t4gtop15?redirect=/products/strut-reinforcement-plate-spacer-with-1-lift-for-4th-gen-toyota-tacoma-2024

2EF99A58-D743-4163-B877-D98142FB9AB1.jpg

Last edited:

GRKTRD

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma
Every day I come here I just see more and more failures. These have just been kinda a dumpster fire to be honest. Only thing I enjoy I about mine at this point is the way it drives with a prayer every day it doesnt break

tmac5809

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
toyota was like 200 units backordered and we needed the truck for other stuff so we could not leave it at the dealer.

I hope this means they realize these are breaking, and revises with a new part #.

I also wonder if the TRD Pro has the same part # or if it's different/beefier.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Every day I come here I just see more and more failures. These have just been kinda a dumpster fire to be honest. Only thing I enjoy I about mine at this point is the way it drives with a prayer every day it doesnt break
What are you talking about lol more and more failures…. Thousands of happy customers . Every vehicle is going to have failed parts it’s part of reality

tacogarage

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd and 2nd Gen Taco
Is this just happening to the TRD off-road models?
I dont think so, but you will see the off road trucks being used more like an off road truck than the rest. SR5s and sports have the same top hat but different shocks, the top hat is the problem so the shock may make a difference but the top hat is still the same weak thing so it can/will happen to thse. The pro probaly has a better setup, can confirm yet.

tacogarage

First Name
AJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3rd and 2nd Gen Taco
Yeah another guy who thinks the world of high production produces 100 percent perfect vehicles one after the other
Especially on a truck that has basically been the same for 20 years... everything is new here so, things will fail, they will be fixed, and reliability comes back up.
Sponsored