Viair 88P Tire inflator

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Hopefully this doesn't sound too simplistic (or dumb) but I'm looking at the Viair 88P tire inflator as a low-cost solution to deflate and inflate my tires when we go camping. Admittedly I don't go off-road enough to justify a big expense for this so I'm trying to keep it basic. A couple questions.
- Will this inflator work? Everything I've read says it's good enough, but if anyone has experience with running this on stock tires, I'd love to hear about it.​
- Are there any issues when you plug something like this into your truck's battery. I'm not super knowledgeable (yet) in off-road stuff so all I have to go off of is my dad always complaining that you shouldn't jump start another car because it ruins your battery (he's VERY old school lol).​

Anyways, any info or experience with this inflator would be great. Also, if there's a better low-cost solution I'm all for it.
Sponsored

MT-Taco

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra, 2022 Corolla Hybrid, 2022 RAV4 XSE
Buy it, try it, send it back if it doesn’t work?

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
I can't speak to that specific ViaAir model, but I have dual ViaAir compressors mounted under my hood that I bought back in November of 2017 and still work great. I have used them dozens of times time to fill up all 4 tires and previously 6 when I had an offroad trailer. My friend has a portable one that works great too.

Rocko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd w/upgrade
I just bought one, it is nice. Pretty quiet. Fits nicely under the rear seats. I initialy bought a larger one for the truck, the 300p, while very nice and fast, I relegated it to the RV due to its larger size. So yeah, unless you are airing down all 4 way down often, the 88p should be good. I see it as a buy it once option.

OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Thanks for the info everyone! Makes me feel way better about this inflator!

Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Yeah the 88 does fine. I leave one in my finance's car that hooks up via a cigarette outlet.

Also run the 300 with the alligator clips with my truck, for the same reasons as the other guy, to inflate my RV tires (E rated). The 88p would struggle to get those up to 80PSI but the 300 does it pretty well, albeit slowly.

OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Yeah the 88 does fine. I leave one in my finance's car that hooks up via a cigarette outlet.

Also run the 300 with the alligator clips with my truck, for the same reasons as the other guy, to inflate my RV tires (E rated). The 88p would struggle to get those up to 80PSI but the 300 does it pretty well, albeit slowly.
Wait, it comes with a cigarette lighter connection? Nice! I would prefer that than connecting it to the battery.

OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Anyone know what a "safe" air down is for the stock BFG Goodrich A/T tires that come on the TRD Off-road. I'm thinking of airing down to 25 for a trip I have this weekend but I wasn't sure if that was a good idea.
Sponsored