Sponsored

2024 Tacoma TRD Pro Full Transmission Replacement After 342 Miles

av8r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many
It sucks for those who have to deal with these issues but if there were 100 trucks that had these transmission issues, it would still be an insignificant percentage of the vehicles sold so far. Social media exaggerates this stuff so much. Every person that has an issue immediately jumps on FB, a forum, Twitter, whatever to complain. Not saying that's wrong, but in the past we'd never even know about these issues unless there were hundreds or thousands of vehicles with the same issue.
The inverse is true. Most people do not use online platforms to vent because they actually live their lives offline. A very small percentage of users know about these places and even fewer dare to tread here. Using these sites and any "data" found here for any statical analysis is silly. Everyone laughed and laughed at the Tundra Bros with their engine issues until Toyota said "Hey, bruh...we're gonna replace like 100,000 engines for you guys...cool?"
Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
The inverse is true. Most people do not use online platforms to vent because they actually live their lives offline. A very small percentage of users know about these places and even fewer dare to tread here. Using these sites and any "data" found here for any statical analysis is silly. Everyone laughed and laughed at the Tundra Bros with their engine issues until Toyota said "Hey, bruh...we're gonna replace like 100,000 engines for you guys...cool?"
I'd love to be a fly on the wall for the corporate meetings on this issue. Toyota leans heavily into their reputation for quality; that's how, for decades, they have been able to get higher prices and higher resale values. If Japan weighed in, "saving face," so to speak, was a factor.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
So to clarify av8r's arguments.

The small sample size and uneven distribution of data gathered from forum posts is insufficient to say that the transmission problems are trivial. (by a miracle I agree!) But somehow these same data provide enough information for him to say that the problem is so severe that we should not buy these trucks. ???

The reported engine problems in Tundras were real, so obviously the transmission problems in Tacomas must also be real. ???

This thread is giving me a headache and I will stop following now.

Good luck @fostuhh.

Tsturbo

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 Tacoma Limited
@fostuhh
Can you support that with evidence? Well more than 100,000 have shipped now. The dealer service staff we usually go to close to home and where we bought the pickup 44 mi away both say nothing is standing out as problematic or much different than other new and recent models as can happen.

My biggest fear with any warranty claim would be same with all brands. Parts shortages have been a problems for some years now.
av8r cannot support with any evidence except what he interpreted from reading a few forums. He likes to throw things out there on this board, really only his opinion and his comments and usually nothing of any substance. Not really sure why he is here, I donā€™t think he is going to buy a new Tacoma, he just gets off on making stupid comments or trashing the truck. Just my opinion.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@WKTJR1 Good observation Bill.

It is quite possible that Toyota's effort to save face has drawn greater scrutiny to a problem that may or may not turn out to be significant.

Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
av8r cannot support with any evidence except what he interpreted from reading a few forums. He likes to throw things out there on this board, really only his opinion and his comments and usually nothing of any substance. Not really sure why he is here, I donā€™t think he is going to buy a new Tacoma, he just gets off on making stupid comments or trashing the truck. Just my opinion.
Good summary - that is exactly what I think too.

SAR Taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter
Thanks for posting @fostuhh, it's good to be aware of something that others may (or may not) experience. I hope you get your truck back soon.

Sner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 RX350, 1999 Miata, 2011 Accord, 2024 Tacoma
1. Soā€¦ you donā€™t actually have any idea what the number is and you said itā€™s a lot anyway? Kinda odd

2. there havenā€™t been more then a dozen. Feel free to link them. Thereā€™s actual sourcing below from Toyota on the topic. But anywayā€¦ assuming it is a dozen, are you saying a dozen out of 70k is too high? there have been 70,000 trucks sold. Just how many do you think may have an issue? Are you really under the impression any vehicle ever created has had a 100% success rate?

3.idk.. others seemed to get the joke. It was a joke. Not a mocking attempt.

Seems like you should watch the below if youā€™re serious about figuring out if this is real or not.

internet is great for some things, attempt to figure out how many transmissions have failed, internet is not a good place. Tim Esterdahl of pickup truck and suv talk is as guilty as the rest of the internet. Ever seen his rant about Ford F150 and its differential rusting? And then his next video he posts itā€™s the best truck ever. All about getting clicks and making money - so many reviews and statements are false and are made to captivate an audience. Frankly Tim Esterdahl is a hypocrite.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
@WKTJR1 Good observation Bill.

It is quite possible that Toyota's effort to save face has drawn greater scrutiny to a problem that may or may not turn out to be significant.
The Tundra issue was going to cost them regardless; dealers probably pushed back, claiming a lack of qualified technicians, training costs, etc., to do the rebuilds. Plus, the time factor. With a brand new production engine going in, the chances of getting it right the first time are greatly enhanced.

Regarding the Tacoma transmission issues, it still feels to me like a batch of bad parts. Toyota engineering wants to get their hands on these transmissions so they can verify the issues; thus, the need for complete transmission changes. I'm sure once a fix is developed repairs will be happening at the dealer. My truck isn't scheduled to be built until August 20-23. I'm hoping that running production changes have been made so I don't have a story to tell.

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
Above all I hope everyone with issues get them fixed right away. I know it's horribly frustrating because we had a long wait for parts and qualified technicians with our last new vehicle purchase.

The membership here is actually a good sample size. The troubles and issues sub-forum is not really much different than when we got a 4Runner and Sienna. Sometimes problems occur. Some of the posts are same people so to me this does not in any way look like matters from other vehicles we considered.

I'm also not saying my new gen 4 is perfect. I have a paint run spot that is a surprise and tailgate doesn't close so happily on one side. That's stuff I thought the whole industry mostly solved.

I'll stay "fingers crossed" for anyone with an issue and that none of us with new pickups have them.

Good luck all.

Sponsored

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
I sincerely believe the OP but you and your disappointment pal I question the authenticity of your posts. If I am mistaken I apologize.
No itā€™s all facts. Truck is at dealer and a have a loaner in the mean time . The truck ran perfectly fine for 5000 miles no vibrations, no grinding noises and then all of a sudden the transmission just gave out and gears one through five stop working. I tried to manually shift it down, but it wouldnā€™t engage one through five only six through eight.

IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5533.jpeg

IMG_5531.jpeg

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
No itā€™s all facts. Truck is at dealer and a have a loaner in the mean time . The truck ran perfectly fine for 5000 miles no vibrations, no grinding noises and then all of a sudden the transmission just gave out and gears one through five stop working. I tried to manually shift it down, but it wouldnā€™t engage one through five only six through eight.

IMG_5535.jpeg

IMG_5533.jpeg

IMG_5531.jpeg
Again I apologize. Sorry to hear of your troubles with your truck. Any advice or suggestions on how to proceed just ask us. And again I did not mean any offense calling you out but we have lil problem with trash talking of this truck that does not help actual owners looking for some support.

Jcisco951

First Name
Jozie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 tacoma trd sport
Again I apologize. Sorry to hear of your troubles with your truck. Any advice or suggestions on how to proceed just ask us. And again I did not mean any offense calling you out but we have lil problem with trash talking of this truck that does not help actual owners looking for some support.
No I totally get it. Iā€™m just still shocked this happened to a brand new Tacoma. I know itā€™s a new GEN Tacoma sure there would be hiccups here and there , but to have a transmission fail so fast just blows my mind. Iā€™ve went back and forth with the dealer I bought it at and they canā€™t help me. I just have to sit tight and wait for the replacement trans to arrive. I will be contacting Toyota directly to file a claim. But right now all I can do is wait. At 30 days if the truck is not running I might file lemon law. But fingers crossed Toyota can fix the problem. I do like the truck but reliability is more important.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Jcisco951 Sorry to hear about your truck. Losing gears 1-5 seems like the most common failure in this transmission. It sounds like Toyota is taking care of you, which is all I ask of any car maker. No one is perfect, but how a company handles their mistakes goes a long way to making it acceptable. If my Taco is down for over 30 days I would have to seriously consider lemon lawing it, although that would be my last choice.

As @TurboTruck! mentioned we have a forum troll that interrupts the good conversations we all need to have and that puts a lot of us on edge.

Good luck in getting this fixed and let us know how it turns out.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
No I totally get it. Iā€™m just still shocked this happened to a brand new Tacoma. I know itā€™s a new GEN Tacoma sure there would be hiccups here and there , but to have a transmission fail so fast just blows my mind. Iā€™ve went back and forth with the dealer I bought it at and they canā€™t help me. I just have to sit tight and wait for the replacement trans to arrive. I will be contacting Toyota directly to file a claim. But right now all I can do is wait. At 30 days if the truck is not running I might file lemon law. But fingers crossed Toyota can fix the problem. I do like the truck but reliability is more important.
I unfortunately had to lemon law one time in California. If you need any advisement in that matter just ask. Hopefully your back on the road before it comes to that.
Sponsored