Sponsored

Is your Tacoma a Gasoline or a Hybrid?

• Total voters

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
Good choice IMO. I have read several articles about how long Toyota hybrid batteries last, most of them well past the warranty, so I think you will be fine.
Not only that, but because Toyota is using the same 1.87kWh NiMH pack in so many vehicles, I expect it to attract battery recyclers, so there should be some good options for cheaper replacements in the future. Wouldn't be surprised if someone even developed a lithium replacement for reduced weight and/or more capacity.
Sponsored

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Wouldn't be surprised if someone even developed a lithium replacement for reduced weight and/or more capacity.
Yep - that is good news and a lithium replacement would be great. Even better would be if Toyota figures out their solid state batteries they have been working on.

All of this stuff will just keep getting better as time goes on.

Baltimore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gen1.5 Highlander v6 AWD, gen4 Taco Ltd Max
I've been allocated a Limited Hybrid. Waiting on delivery, which is estimated between mid-Aug & mid-Sept.

I'm a bit tainted here as before this Tacoma was released, I was dead set that my next vehicle would be a plug-in hybrid with a minimum battery-only range of 30 miles. When some of us sit back and do the analysis, you realize just how many errand trips that means you're never burning gas on. The Tacoma's announcement and looks blew up all my previous research and short list.

I'm coming from an SUV that I've loved and abused for 20 years now and am the original owner on ('04 Highlander v6 AWD). The comfort and abilities of that vehicle have continued to surprise me in everything I've put it through, put in it, on it, and towed with it. We also have a BEV Chevy Bolt and were first adopters there. My wife says she will never go back to something that she can't just plug in and start each day with a full tank (and the maintenance on it is pathetic - tires, wipers, air filters). However, we both agreed that hauling, trips, etc. we needed something that wasn't charge station dependent and wouldn't have its useful range cut in half towing.

Since the Tacoma hybrid wasn't meeting my PHEV requirements, why stay hybrid?
Pros: instant go and torque - once you've experienced the acceleration of a BEV it's HARD to ignore the lag of an ICE. The in-line approach that Toyota took gives me that same off-the-line performance. The Limited Hybrid was the only one with full time 4WD which is something I've been used to and love, both for traction in all conditions and how evenly it keeps tire wear. The hybrid battery makes the inverter significantly more useful. After researching how Toyota designed the iForce Max to catch and supplement the surges and dips between gear shifts, I fully expect it to help even out the MPG and keep a much more flat line number - whatever that number ends up being. If it's 23/24 mpg I'll consider that a huge win. If it's 18mpg, then at least I haven't gotten worse than the highlander v6 AWD on ethanol blend (was 20.5 mixed like a rock and 24 highway until they started blending gas down). Side perk (and an odd one) = cleaner appearance of the locking fuel door. I have zero concerns with the reliability or longevity of Toyota's battery system or hybrid engine system. They all but invented it and the engine setup has been in the Tundra for a few years now (and this is stepping it down, not up).

cons: only two
~$3500 in price... a small one to pay when I expect to keep the vehicle between 10 & 20 years.
loss of the underseat storage for both the battery pack and the 12v battery (since it moves out of the hood and under the bench).

I'm sure I'd come up with more, and that other thoughts I'm forgetting in the moment played a role. But Limited for features & AWD, Hybrid for the torque, power, and linearity to my power curve and my mpg.

Want-a-taco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma OR 6MT
Gas because hybrid is too expensive and I only do 10000 km/year, so I’ll never save enough gas to pay the difference.

NoNo

First Name
MrNo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR
I calculated the time to recover just the initial cost difference for the hybrid, with gas 25-50% higher than it currently is in my region, and break even point still would have been at least five years. Then I add in more things to potentially go wrong, extra weight, loss of already limited storage space, etc., and very little improvement in fuel economy, I couldn't justify it. Additionally, I've been driving the non-hybrid and getting as much as 26-31mpg highway driving, and 17-22mpg city, which is way better than I expected. Torque and HP are plenty for my needs without the hybrid. If fuel economy improvement had been better, or cost was lower, I would have considered it more seriously.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TripleAliners

TripleAliners

ELITE Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
Thank you all for the positive discussion! We’re glad to see so many owners participating

JustAnotherDingus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo Wagon (for now!)
I’m on the edge of getting a hybrid. Just waiting for it to land at this point. There are only really a couple reasons im going this route:

1. the 2400w pure sine inverter

2. I need a 6’ bed for work (so there’s only one trim that fits the bill for me… as my bank account weeps quietly in the distance lol)

3. I’m hoping we see a solid state battery upgrade in the next five years from the nickel battery or at least a lithium upgrade. A larger battery with that 48hp motor could actually see some pretty damn good mpg gains so who knows. Even if this never becomes a thing the first two bullet points do it for me. :)

rchrds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter
Trailhunter only came in hybrid- If the trailhunter had a non-hybrid option it would have been a much more difficult choice- and particularly so now that I'm not seeing the improved gas mileage that the hybrid was supposed to produce- more the opposite- much worse gas mileage.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I don't think the hybrid was really designed for good mileage but for power. I am surprised to see them missing their EPA ratings by so much, but I will live with that. I bet Toyota looks into that because they might get a penalty from the EPA for hybrid actual fuel mileage, versus the rating.

People look at cost versus payback though, which is not the purpose of a power hybrid. It is the purpose of an economy hybrid, like a Prius. Toyota basically invented these and chose another way with the 4th gen.

I see the 4th gen engine choices like the choices in the 4th gen 4Runner. The V6 was fine but if you wanted more motor you got the V8. No thoughts of saving money, but you got the power that this truck really needed IMO.

In the 2nd gen Taco I always wanted a trim with the V8 from the 4Runner but Toyota never offered it. I think of the hybrid as being my chance to get the engine I wanted back in the day.

There are no wrong choices here, because the regular engine is great and a big improvement over my V6 Tacos, and the hybrid is the upgrade powertrain, but not to save any money. :cool:

rchrds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter
I don't think the hybrid was really designed for good mileage but for power. I am surprised to see them missing their EPA ratings by so much, but I will live with that. I bet Toyota looks into that because they might get a penalty from the EPA for hybrid actual fuel mileage, versus the rating.

There are no wrong choices here, because the regular engine is great and a big improvement over my V6 Tacos, and the hybrid is the upgrade powertrain, but not to save any money. :cool:
Maybe. I just sold my 04 taco (V6) and the Trailhunter is definitely more sluggish than the '04 V6 was. Part of it is the very high weight of the vehicle- but this thing is a pig.

Sponsored

andrewleader

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road 5' Automatic with Stabilizer Dsconnect
Gas for me. If the hybrid was a plug-in with a bigger battery, or at least if it had significantly better MPG, I would have went with it (not only would I charge at home, but I'd also be able to use the battery for my camper setup). But as it stands today, a 1.8kwh battery is pretty dang small, I'm planning on putting in a 2.8kwh battery for my camper.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Maybe. I just sold my 04 taco (V6) and the Trailhunter is definitely more sluggish than the '04 V6 was. Part of it is the very high weight of the vehicle- but this thing is a pig.
Well you have one and I don't, so I believe you. I have only ever driven one OR hybrid and thought it was fine. I haven't owned my 4.0L in a while but I know that the 2.4 nonhybrid beats it on power, so I assumed the hybrid would rock.

Sorry you don't like your truck. It could just be the weight, but I won't have a valid opinion until I get mine.

rchrds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter
Well you have one and I don't, so I believe you. I have only ever driven one OR hybrid and thought it was fine. I haven't owned my 4.0L in a while but I know that the 2.4 nonhybrid beats it on power, so I assumed the hybrid would rock.

Sorry you don't like your truck. It could just be the weight, but I won't have a valid opinion until I get mine.
Oh don't get me wrong- I really like the truck- but I do wish it was a little more spritely. I'm a little frustrated about the fuel mileage, but that may increase a little as i get more miles on the truck.

T.C.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Limited
I had a hybrid car for a year and spent the entire year stressing myself about being potentially stranded if a battery half the cost of the car went bad. I guess I'm just too old school. Mainly, though, it didn't get any better mileage than the gas version because ALL of my driving is open highway, 75 mph, hill country. That in itself isn't the car's fault, but when advertised as 38/38/38, one would expect better than 26-28.

grizzlyoutlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TACOMA
The long bed became the main point but we did consider the hybrid powertrain for new Land Cruiser and Tacomas. It seemed inane to own a pickup that could not do what the Sienna could while facing a next few years needing tow and carry capacity the van could not do.

While my Tacoma now has to be my primary personal vehicle when my wife works, it also has to be a work tool. Maybe we'd have considered a hybrid if it existed in a long bed version. We were not fans of the halo models and are very happy to have found a TRD OR long with only upgrade, 400 watt and mudguards.

I'm probably an exception to a lot of the enthusiasm here. While I still have getting a tent/wedge topper in mind to start retirement, my Tacoma purchase is mostly a tool for my business and redeveloping a property. Unlike several past pickups it is quite civilized.
I also use mine for business and wanted the increased storage space in the cab. My rear seat delete gives me that. Currently the 110V system only works with the truck running. I am putting in my own battery bank in the rear that will keep my coolers and other acessories running 24/7 and charging while driving.

The simplicity of the engine to work on is also a plus. On the flip side I do love having more power and am afraid to drive an Iforce and get instant regret over that.
Sponsored