Steps for rock sliders on TRD PRO?

B-52 Gunner

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
The wife is 5 feet tall so I need to put running boards my 2024 TRD Pro. I like the look of the rock sliders but my guess is that they need to come off to add running board. I would love it if there was a kit to clamp a step to the rock rails. What are my options? I don't "off Road" so don't really need rock rails.

20240813_172458.jpg
Sponsored

JBSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Kia Sorento
That is the nice thing about the Chevy ZR2 is that is the sliders with removable steps. Be nice if the predator steps did that but I think they are fixed until you hit a big enough rock.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
As @Visa_Declined said, those are not really rock sliders on the TRD Pro. I think Toyota calls them sill protectors, or something, and you wouldn't be losing much if you removed them. They are mounted to the body, not the frame and don't provide the protection of a rock slider. Since the TH has sliders I found that a stupid way for Toyota to save some money on their top trim.

But I also have the same question that @B-52 Gunner has. Do those sill protectors have to be removed to put on sliders/steps? I don't have mine yet but my guess is yes.

I might make that change too but I also wonder about the mounting holes in the bodywork for the ones on the Pro. Is that something else that will need to be dealt with? Does it look like the sliders from the TH can just be added to a Pro?

Last edited:

StreeTaco

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Just find some Toyota Predator Steps in the classifieds section of this forum.

Sponsored

NCEngineer

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
But I also have the same question that @B-52 Gunner has. Do those sill protectors have to be removed to put on sliders/steps? I don't have mine yet but my guess is yes.

I might make that change too but I also wonder about the mounting holes in the bodywork for the ones on the Pro. Is that something else that will need to be dealt with? Does it look like the sliders from the TH can just be added to a Pro?
There are threaded holes in the chassis on the pro for the rock slider so it would be easy to add the ones off the TH. As far as removing the sill protectors, they use different mounting holes obviously but I’m not sure if they would interfere. I suspect they probably would.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
There are threaded holes in the chassis on the pro for the rock slider so it would be easy to add the ones off the TH. As far as removing the sill protectors, they use different mounting holes obviously but I’m not sure if they would interfere. I suspect they probably would.
Thanks for the information. I will have to look into that further after I get my truck.

The visuals of two sliders, one fake and one real could be strange and the holes in the body would need plugged IMO.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@Davesnhere Thanks for the pictures! Those look great.

If they bolt to the same holes that means they are not really sliders, right? I think I would be fine going that route.

Sponsored

TX-BluStreak

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
I don't plan on doing too many "off-roading" activities on my Pro but I'll still need some kinda steps to get in. I'm not short by any means, I'm 5'11" but my youthful 95 yr old grams often likes to ride with me whenever we go grocery shopping or wherever. And I would hate to carry a step ladder whenever she needs to get in. Getting out's no problem for her since she often likes to slide down. :wink:

I'm not too keen on the predator steps or the tube steps. Predator steps (for me) isn't too safe for women who likes to wear heels (mom) or slippers (grams). Plus I don't really like the way the tube steps look on the Pro.

I came across this at the dealership and it looks pretty sick!

ScreenHunter 1983.jpg

Last edited:

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I don't plan on doing too many "off-roading" activities on my Pro but I'll still need some kinda steps to get in. I'm not short by any means, I'm 5'11" but my youthful 95 yr old grams often likes to ride with me whenever we go grocery shopping or wherever. And I would hate to carry a step ladder whenever she needs to get in. Getting out's no problem for her since she often slides down. ;)

I'm not too keen on the predator steps or the tube steps. Predator steps (for me) isn't too safe for women who likes to wear heels (mom) or slippers (grams). Plus I don't really like the way the tube steps look on the Pro.

I came across this at the dealership and it looks pretty sick!

ScreenHunter 1983.jpg
I put these on a few weeks back and they seem to do a really good job at mitigating rock kickback to the rear section where the factory ppf is.

OP
OP
B-52 Gunner

B-52 Gunner

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
I removed my TRD Pro Rock Protectors and added TRD running boards.
Gonna sell the Pro Rock Protectors on Marketplace. What are they worth?

PUMPKINKING

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off-Road Tacoma Solar Octane
I have the TRD aluminium boards on my OR and I really like them. I was originally looking at the predator steps but after some research I think the TRD aluminium boards were superior in that they provide a much greater stepping area and rock protection. This may seem obvious but with the predator steps, you have to step in a specific spot which may or may not be comfortable for you/your passenger whereas with the aluminium boards you can step anywhere along the doors.
Lastly, when in person, the aluminium boards look and feel very nice/substantial compared to the predator steps.
Sponsored