2024 Tacoma OR ... less than 200 miles and died on the side of the road

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
For me there are a several questions @BronzoTaco.

What exactly failed causing the massive loss of oil in your engine?

Is the engine damaged, and if so to what extent? Can it be repaired, or is it too soon to know?

The big one - why the hell don't you have a loaner? I don't see how this could possibly be your fault at such low miles, and you are now without a truck.

OP
OP
BronzoTaco

BronzoTaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
For me there are a several questions @BronzoTaco.

What exactly failed causing the massive loss of oil in your engine?

Is the engine damaged, and if so to what extent? Can it be repaired, or is it too soon to know?

The big one - why the hell don't you have a loaner? I don't see how this could possibly be your fault at such low miles, and you are now without a truck.
So at this point I have no idea what caused it. Before the tow truck even arrived the service department called me to tell me that they wouldn't even be able to get to the vehicle that day because it was so late in the day (it was 12:30) and a Friday before a holiday weekend and they do not give loaners but are happy to rent me a vehicle. At dealership exact same answer in person. They courtesy shuttled me home. I left a friendly message for the business manager while at the scene (no call back) and a message for the sales manager I dealt with after I got home. 3 hours later the sales manager calls to tell me they looked at it and service manager had no idea what was going on but the motor had no oil in it and it was exiting out of the motor from somewhere other than the bottom. They said since it was such low mileage Toyota has to get involved. Asked for a loaner again and they said they do not do loaners. Saturday morning I called the business manager, who was in according to the receptionist, and again left a message and no return call. I know she is blowing me off because 2 hours later the sales manager calls me out of the blue to remind me that they can't to anything until Tuesday or Wednesday. Again I asked for a loaner and they said no due to insurance bullshit. Thats pretty much it. You now know what I know. I'm pretty much out of luck until I hear back and I do not expect any good news anytime soon. What bothers me is that when I spoke with service receptionist she was polite but when asked to speak to a service tech all they did was have her relay a response back to me instead of laying the whole thing in my lap. This possibly could have been way better if they took the time and concern to let me talk with a mechanic and be advised how to move forward or not move forward.

I will be calling and emailing Toyota Tuesday morning first thing and keeping a very accurate timeline of every event from the start.

BlancoTaco

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma SR5
I would be livid if this happened to me. No flipping excuse for an issue like that with LOW miles.

Get the rental from the dealer. Follow up with corporate constantly. I bet at the end of the day they will reimburse you for the rental.

Toyota has historically been better than most at fixing their problems. Remember the truck frames. Ok we made bad frames, we will buy your truck back at 1.5 times blue book. If you want another truck we will give you an additional $1000 off.

Buddy just shelled an Hemi engine in his 2020 Ram. Couple thousand over the warranty mileage. 4 year old truck with 40K miles. Every single service done at dealership. Stelantis/Ram/Dodge just shrugged their shoulders. Luckily he had the aftermarket warranty and they covered most of it.

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Perhaps the loaner story is true to some extent, but they still need to get you into a vehicle regardless. Toyota should be involved from a customer service point of view. Do I understand correctly that this is not the dealer you purchased from? My unsolicited advice would be to let it play out for a few days. Once corporate is involved, the dealer might change its tune. Right now, it seems they don't want to be bothered but feel forced to. If things do not change, then start being more assertive.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Good advice from @WKTJR1. As I learned when I was in the Navy, always listen to your chief.

IMO the no loaner answer is total and complete bs. Every owner who has posted here with a dead transmission has gotten a loaner to drive. Is this dealer the only one with insurance? Total bs.

You need to tell Toyota that you are pissed off. It is bad enough for a new truck to crap the bed, but for a dealer to blow you off and leave you stranded is just plain wrong and makes Toyota look really, really bad.

I'm sure that you already have figured out that the dealer that has your truck is lame beyond words. Want to share who it is so that people can avoid buying from them? I do understand them wanting Toyota corporate input and why it will take a while with a diagnosis.

But for them to leave you stranded with no better answer than insurance is disrespectful as well as probably a lie. Toyota needs to know that this dealer is not fulfilling its obligation to provide warranty coverage, no matter where you bought your truck.

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
to busy taking interviews with YouTubers about cup holder space....Tell us more technical things of the construction of the truck, engine, trans, rear etc.
I must have missed the interview about cup holder space. And yeah, Sheldon talks about the engine and tranny and frame and suspension, etc, in several videos.

Taco Azul

First Name
MP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Trailhunter LB, Tesla Model X, Polestar 2, Toyota GR86
Of all the problems with the 4th gen, engine failures have not been one of them. Sounds like a freak one-off failure. Especially with it happening so soon. Something did not get built to spec at the engine factory, which I believe is in Japan.

Man, sorry for this mess. Hopefully corporate comes through with a rental. I don’t think I’d take that truck back without a new engine.

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Of all the problems with the 4th gen, engine failures have not been one of them. Sounds like a freak one-off failure. Especially with it happening so soon. Something did not get built to spec at the engine factory, which I believe is in Japan.

Man, sorry for this mess. Hopefully corporate comes through with a rental. I don’t think I’d take that truck back without a new engine.
Engines are built in Alabama.

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Mis-threaded oil filter ?

For getting good service, Friday of a long weekend is not ideal, but this will get sorted out. Still no excuse for a shitty response from the dealer .

What i would do ... Tuesday morning, work the sales manager to escalate and if he can't organize a loaner promptly, start a discussion directly with Toyota. They will be involved anyway so i might save my breath and see how it pans out for a day. I would't bother trying to talk to a tech/mechanic at this point.

OP
OP
BronzoTaco

BronzoTaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Perhaps the loaner story is true to some extent, but they still need to get you into a vehicle regardless. Toyota should be involved from a customer service point of view. Do I understand correctly that this is not the dealer you purchased from? My unsolicited advice would be to let it play out for a few days. Once corporate is involved, the dealer might change its tune. Right now, it seems they don't want to be bothered but feel forced to. If things do not change, then start being more assertive.

Thank you for your service Senior Chief. My uncle retired Master Chief during Korea and Vietnam, his brother, my other uncle did 10 years during Vietnam and my Dad was a disabled WW11 Submarine Combat veteran................ so of course I had to do the opposite and became an Army paratrooper. My father was disappointed and said.. "But they feed you so much better in the Navy!" I have a 17 year old stepson that is in Navy boot right now going for culinary... PROUD!!

Anyway... this IS the dealer I purchased from for the second time in 2 years. First deal went bad and after having to fight them to make that right I formed a relationship with sales manager who is the only other Italian NYer I have met in Utah! The deal we made on this was ok. The after treatment is definitely the issue. At this point I need to just back off and see what happens next week.... but all loyalties are off the table on my end.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@BronzoTaco Yeah - good call on backing off for a while and seeing what develops. Your dealer might have their act more together after they talk to Toyota.

But this being the dealer where you bought your truck makes them stiffing you on a loaner even worse IMO. I know I would never buy anything else from them if they don't support you in this.

OP
OP
BronzoTaco

BronzoTaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
@BronzoTaco Yeah - good call on backing off for a while and seeing what develops. Your dealer might have their act more together after they talk to Toyota.

But this being the dealer where you bought your truck makes them stiffing you on a loaner even worse IMO. I know I would never buy anything else from them if they don't support you in this.

Not my nature to sit back and relax ... I trust no one but me when it comes to making things happen... I'm one of many pissed off customers that they don't want to listen too.... but I have to lay low.. I think the outcome might be easier to achieve. I'm pissed about the truck but its the customer service that really shows me where I stand as a customer.
Sponsored