Sponsored

From excited to feeling nervous about my Tacoma Limited order

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Update: Dealership just called me. Engine toast. There is no fix for it. Here is what they said: It was some nipple where the oil filter is that blew off the engine and spit all the oil out of the engine. The dealership has now put a request in for a new engine. They cannot say right now how long that will take. They gave me a number for Toyota Business Development (800-331-4331) to call for update on the engine delivery if it isn't here within a couple weeks. We discussed lemon law and Toyota buy back if vehicle is going to be laid up for 30 days or more. That's about it until I hear from someone. I have my own reservations about having a dealer installed motor rather than a whole new truck. I also asked how this would effect me at resale given it might come up in some Carfax report but he said the engine swap won't... I do not believe that at all. So the waiting game begins and today day 5.
Damn. That sucks. Especially with it being basically driven off the lot.

Seems like another case of poor QC possibly.
Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Update: Dealership just called me. Engine toast. There is no fix for it. Here is what they said: It was some nipple where the oil filter is that blew off the engine and spit all the oil out of the engine. The dealership has now put a request in for a new engine. They cannot say right now how long that will take. They gave me a number for Toyota Business Development (800-331-4331) to call for update on the engine delivery if it isn't here within a couple weeks. We discussed lemon law and Toyota buy back if vehicle is going to be laid up for 30 days or more. That's about it until I hear from someone. I have my own reservations about having a dealer installed motor rather than a whole new truck. I also asked how this would effect me at resale given it might come up in some Carfax report but he said the engine swap won't... I do not believe that at all. So the waiting game begins and today day 5.
I doubt it would have any negative impact. Replacing transmissions and engines with new factory units is not the same as repairing a damaged part.

Honestly, I think you'll have a tough time getting a replacement truck unless the issues persist for more than 30 days or whatever the Lemon Law in Utah states. Possibly, having things drag out could work to your advantage.

BronzoTaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Damn. That sucks. Especially with it being basically driven off the lot.

Seems like another case of poor QC possibly.
Right? I got it 2 weeks before and put less than 200 miles on it. Glad I didn't take it out to the desert here right away. I'd be buzzard food right now.

BronzoTaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
I doubt it would have any negative impact. Replacing transmissions and engines with new factory units is not the same as repairing a damaged part.

Honestly, I think you'll have a tough time getting a replacement truck unless the issues persist for more than 30 days or whatever the Lemon Law in Utah states. Possibly, having things drag out could work to your advantage.
Lemon law here is 30 days. From what I have read it may just drag out longer because of shortages of motors but I will just let it play out. I'm a skeptic by nature regarding anything a dealership says or does. They are a necessary evil in my life

SilverSurfer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Lemon law is 30 in cali too, but they will try and force you to arbitration. In my experience, arbitrators rule for the manufacturer most of the time. I had a 98 4Runner with a bad gas gauge, I ran out of gas on the hwy with it showing 3/4 full. Dealer attempted 4 fixes that didnā€™t work. I asked for lemon law and arbitrators said give it one more repair attempt. They installed an entire new gauge cluster and didnā€™t add the miles driven. Started at 0 miles on a year old vehicle, but the new gas gauge worked. YMMV. Iā€™d consult a law law attorney if I really wanted a buyback, of the people on forums who actually got a buy back offer, which was depreciated, almost all of them had a lawyer.

Sponsored

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 Limited Taco, ā€˜17 ORP 4Runner, ā€˜18 RAV4
I absolutely love reading and learning about everybodyā€™s Tacoma experiences etcā€¦ I myself have never owned a truck let alone a Tacoma. With that said I have a 2024 Tacoma Limited in Wind Chill Pearl on order expected to be delivered in a couple of weeks and have been really excited about it. But lately I find myself a bit nervous after going into forums and reading so many negative stories people have written about the new Tacomaā€™s. Obviously Iā€™ve read a lot of positive stories, but like I said I feel a bit nervous about my purchase and donā€™t even have the truck yet. Iā€™m sure itā€™s just me worrying to much. Keep the positive stories coming please.šŸ‘šŸ¼
Unfortunately we live in a world where negative news sells and everyone with the slightest problem wants to go fuss about it on the internet. (SEE YOUTUBE) For every negative problem, there are many more multiples of people happy and satisfied who don't feel the need to go tell the world how happy and satisfied they are on the internet. 5000 miles into my Limited and still love it every time I drive it.

OP
OP

Mousejumper

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan
Debbie Downer just arrived. I had my 2024 TRD OR for 2 weeks and less than 200 miles. Major engine failure while driving. First flashed a bunch or malfunction warnings and "visit your dealership" message.... long story short the engine stopped working on way to dealership and there was no oil in it ...it was all over the outside of engine... this happened Friday past and won't know anything until Toyota techs show up to inspect... I'm not the only one. If you are apprehensive and can wait... trust me and do it. The failures with trannys are mounting. It sickens me because I traded a beautiful 4runner TRD ORP 2022 and wish I never did. Don't fall for the hype.. please think deeply about this decision. I am just respectfully playing devil's advocate and would not to see anyone go through what I am about to go through. Best of luck you you.
[/QUOTE
Debbie Downer just arrived. I had my 2024 TRD OR for 2 weeks and less than 200 miles. Major engine failure while driving. First flashed a bunch or malfunction warnings and "visit your dealership" message.... long story short the engine stopped working on way to dealership and there was no oil in it ...it was all over the outside of engine... this happened Friday past and won't know anything until Toyota techs show up to inspect... I'm not the only one. If you are apprehensive and can wait... trust me and do it. The failures with trannys are mounting. It sickens me because I traded a beautiful 4runner TRD ORP 2022 and wish I never did. Don't fall for the hype.. please think deeply about this decision. I am just respectfully playing devil's advocate and would not to see anyone go through what I am about to go through. Best of luck you you.
OMG I canā€™t even imagine!! Iā€™m so very sorry for you and your beautiful truck.

BronzoTaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Lemon law is 30 in cali too, but they will try and force you to arbitration. In my experience, arbitrators rule for the manufacturer most of the time. I had a 98 4Runner with a bad gas gauge, I ran out of gas on the hwy with it showing 3/4 full. Dealer attempted 4 fixes that didnā€™t work. I asked for lemon law and arbitrators said give it one more repair attempt. They installed an entire new gauge cluster and didnā€™t add the miles driven. Started at 0 miles on a year old vehicle, but the new gas gauge worked. YMMV. Iā€™d consult a law law attorney if I really wanted a buyback, of the people on forums who actually got a buy back offer, which was depreciated, almost all of them had a lawyer.
I'm going to have to look into that. I have a feeling a new motor may take a while but you never know. Thanks for the info

BronzoTaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
OMG I canā€™t even imagine!! Iā€™m so very sorry for you and your beautiful truck.
Thanks brother. I never imagined either... a Toyota no less! I'm convinced it's karma finally catching up to me šŸ¤”šŸ˜‚

Where on Long Island?

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyta Tacoma Sport Premium 6ā€™ bed
Is that the new Diamondback tri-fold cover? I just ordered the regular version in the flat finish... looks great. This is my 3rd Diamondback cover. Love them and great company do deal with plus military discount. Have the HD cover from my Raptor in my garage still. Paid $2k+ and can't even find a buyer at $900 ! :(
Yes- the DB Switchback.( I agree-great company to deal with). I really enjoy it. I donā€™t plan on hauling too much on top of it so I donā€™t have all the tiedown hooks or anything like that. It lets me still use most of my p/u box . Iā€™ve had toppers on my other Tacomas ( 2-2nd gens). Decided to go with a tonneau cover instead of another topper so as not to affect the rear camera on this truck. I saw one on a Ram just before I got my Tacoma and thought it looked great.Donā€™t see many DB covers in my neck of the woods. Cost me $3K to get it here (exchange and all)but am very happy with it. As I said before, this is most likely my last new vehicle so what the hell. Going out with a bang!

Sponsored

BronzoTaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Yes- the DB Switchback.( I agree-great company to deal with). I really enjoy it. I donā€™t plan on hauling too much on top of it so I donā€™t have all the tiedown hooks or anything like that. It lets me still use most of my p/u box . Iā€™ve had toppers on my other Tacomas ( 2-2nd gens). Decided to go with a tonneau cover instead of another topper so as not to affect the rear camera on this truck. I saw one on a Ram just before I got my Tacoma and thought it looked great.Donā€™t see many DB covers in my neck of the woods. Cost me $3K to get it here (exchange and all)but am very happy with it. As I said before, this is most likely my last new vehicle so what the hell. Going out with a bang!
I'm right there with you brother. Trying to go out with a bang also! I came so close to getting the Switchback but I do get a lot of use out of the tie downs and figured I would stick with what I know. That cover really looks so clean without them. I love it. Enjoy!

Fireguy67

First Name
Klaus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyta Tacoma Sport Premium 6ā€™ bed
Note to BronzoTaco. Gotta appologize.Itā€™s a Canadian thing. I got so wrapped up in discussing my diamond back cover with you that I neglected to wish you luck with everything youā€™re going through. I hope all this settles out to your liking. Truthfully thinking about it, I would hope that the lemon law applies in this situation to help you out. We up here donā€™t have such a luxury as the lemon law. Nevertheless good thoughts and wishes heading your way and that you eventually will be really happy with your truck. Good luck!

Reactions: MJE

BronzoTaco

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Note to BronzoTaco. Gotta appologize.Itā€™s a Canadian thing. I got so wrapped up in discussing my diamond back cover with you that I neglected to wish you luck with everything youā€™re going through. I hope all this settles out to your liking. Truthfully thinking about it, I would hope that the lemon law applies in this situation to help you out. We up here donā€™t have such a luxury as the lemon law. Nevertheless good thoughts and wishes heading your way and that you eventually will be really happy with your truck. Good luck!
No need to apologize brother but thank you kindly.... much appreciated. Everything has a way of working out. Maybe not to our liking all the time but I hope for the best. We are tough cookies in this house and have faced many more important real world obstacles so this will be small in the end. Thank you again and a blessing to you and yours. Enjoy that truck!

bitflogger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Offroad Long Bed
I'm lucky so far and problems posted with the data given mostly look similar or same as some of our 5 total Toyotas also being new generation or revisions. One of those did have a drivetrain problem with dropping transmission a few times made worse by a TSB not out yet and then dealer daft for not following it. One had brakes problems and recall for doors flying open. The interesting point is they were still better than average, Toyota stood behind them, and they had legendary good resale along with serving us.

For some of us there are now or few alternatives - long beds. I didn't buy a pavement pansy or mall crawler. The bed length, top safety pick rating, capabilities etc make some Tacomas with few or no alternatives.

Our vehicle shopping, considerations and testing spanned 2+ years long and lots of models. That helped understand imperfections are all over. In that time we waited months for a part for our used Toyota and my wife's German car has a warranty and parts matter that too long. I watched situations in the company fleet. The risks seemed similar with about any choice we could have made.

On the JBL system: It is front focuses if in front, sounds different and nice in the back seat, and I like the removable speaker more than I expected.

Of course I'll be unhappy if a transmission or engine failure comes my way but from all our shopping, looking at the govt complaints, recalls etc... other forums, nothing yet says these really are troubled vehicles.

I might just be different. My brain doesn't go to conspiracy and paranoid stuff like I see in lots of posts. That way of thinking is no good kind of fear. Most anything to do with clay or was in my life is from trail work and skiing. Also the long bed. I wasn't going to buy something called a truck that could not hold or carry what my minivan did. The market does not have good alternatives to a long bed TRD OR.

:)

Ruissimo

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Genesis G70
I might just be different. My brain doesn't go to conspiracy and paranoid stuff like I see in lots of posts. That way of thinking is no good kind of fear.
That's because you're a reasonable person that grew up before the internet was around to give literally EVERYONE a chance to voice their idiotic opinions to the masses.

I didn't need the 6-ft bed myself, and wanted to park my truck in the garage, but to each his own. And if I need to haul something bigger that isn't messy... I can use the wife's minivan.

Enjoy your truck!

2024 Tacoma From excited to feeling nervous about my Tacoma Limited order 2024.09.01 Washed Both Cars
Sponsored