2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
I’m hopefully about 6 weeks out on my TH Bronze Oxide 6’ bed. I’m interested in the upTop rack. What is the total height for garage clearance as it sits with factory wheels?
I just measured and the total height with the UpTop rack looks to be about ~76". The rack sits a little under 4" above the roof line. I had a Prinsu rack before on my 2nd gen and like this one better for what it's worth as well.
Sponsored

Fattirz in NC

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F-150 SuperCrew
I wish the snorkel and ARB bed rack were options, not standard on the TH. The thought of spending that much for a truck and having pricey extras you don’t want!… It’s why I’m leaning toward a TRD-OR premium with 6’ bed instead (with a whole bunch of coin left over). Stinks that the only 6’ bed hybrid option is the TH too. Puts me on the fence between the two.

tnjwinters

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
I just measured and the total height with the UpTop rack looks to be about ~76". The rack sits a little under 4" above the roof line. I had a Prinsu rack before on my 2nd gen and like this one better for what it's worth as well.
Thank you for the measurements. When you have time, would you post some pics of the rack? How is upTop to work with and pick up from their Castle Rock shop?

Goriders

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport Plus
It's not a problem. It's our opinion and we are entitled to give our opinion just like you are.
My favourite thing to do is giving people my opinion.

It’s usually not their favourite thing.

Sponsored

dunder

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Trailhunter, '25 MB CLE53
I wish the snorkel and ARB bed rack were options, not standard on the TH. The thought of spending that much for a truck and having pricey extras you don’t want!… It’s why I’m leaning toward a TRD-OR premium with 6’ bed instead (with a whole bunch of coin left over). Stinks that the only 6’ bed hybrid option is the TH too. Puts me on the fence between the two.
The snorkel and bed rack are also my two dislikes on the Trailhunter. The snorkel, because my wife will hate the sound and the bed rack because it will be incompatible with my retractable tonneau cover. Both will be easily replaced/modified. Looking at the TRD Pro, I don’t like the body mounted rock rails(replaceable) and suspension seats(much harder to replace). The TRD-OR Premium was my other option, but aftermarket suspension would be a requirement for me, but the interior is too bland for me, color wise. So, no Tacoma is perfect, but the Trailhunter is the best starting point for my plans. I do like the interior color of the Trailhunter the best. I think it goes well with Celestial Silver.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for the measurements. When you have time, would you post some pics of the rack? How is upTop to work with and pick up from their Castle Rock shop?
See the attached pics and let me know if you need any others. The garage is kinda dark but hopefully that helps. Up Top delivers for free so I just had it shipped direct to me. I live in west Arvada so it saved me the ~45 min commute both ways. I had to call them several times during install and they were super helpful. They even sent me an extra set of handles for free. When I had called originally I asked them if they recommended I get one or two pairs and decided on 1 but they sent me 2 at no charge with a little note. The fitment is very nice, super happy with it.

IMG_4338.jpeg

IMG_4337.jpeg

IMG_4336.jpeg

IMG_4330.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

IMG_4333.jpeg

tnjwinters

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Tacoma TRD Pro
See the attached pics and let me know if you need any others. The garage is kinda dark but hopefully that helps. Up Top delivers for free so I just had it shipped direct to me. I live in west Arvada so it saved me the ~45 min commute both ways. I had to call them several times during install and they were super helpful. They even sent me an extra set of handles for free. When I had called originally I asked them if they recommended I get one or two pairs and decided on 1 but they sent me 2 at no charge with a little note. The fitment is very nice, super happy with it.

IMG_4338.jpeg

IMG_4337.jpeg

IMG_4336.jpeg

IMG_4330.jpeg

IMG_4332.jpeg

IMG_4333.jpeg
Very nice. I may have to get one when the time comes. I live in Pueblo so I wouldn’t mind the drive. Thank you for being so helpful. Love the truck and color. Can’t wait.

Iqudayo

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
Coming from also having a tuned Ram diesel, the sound from this snorkel would be welcomed. The sound is to accent the engine sound being its a 4 cyl and the window can control the volume again the sound is welcomed.

Just my 2 cents

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
This is a bit late but I wanted to post a few updates. I picked up my Trailhunter last week and have now owned it for a little over a week. This is not meant to be a comprehensive review, but below are a few bullet point thoughts and comments so far.

Overall I have nothing but amazing things to say about the truck and those waiting it is 1000% worth the wait. I will address one negative below.
  • Background: I just sold my 05' Tacoma TRD Offroad that was built out. I also have a 2018 Audi S5.
  • Driving: I absolutely love the way the truck drives. The low end torque is incredible and it now has plenty of available power. it is absolutely effortless to accelerate and passing people at highway speeds is now significantly easier (maybe too easy). I would say that it feels "quick" for a truck.
  • Comfort: My wife and I find the seats and cockpit to be very comfortable.
  • Cabin noise: With the windows up the truck is extremely quiet. I will address the windows down separately.
  • Color & overall looks: I cannot emphasize how beautiful the Bronze Oxide is and the truck in general. I could not be happier with how the color looks in person. I have had a few people talk to me about it and they all love the color. It's also been neat seeing a few people that know what the Trailhunter is talk to us and comment as we're driving by. It's not a head turner like a Ferrari or anything (haha), but for those that know what it is it's been cool to see their reactions.
  • Build quality: The build quality is amazing. As compared to my second gen there is literally no comparison. It feels more like a German car (in terms of engineering quality and thought put into everything) than what I was used to before. I have not looked or ever considered buying any of the "competitors" and after buying this I have no plan to. It was worth every penny.
  • Cost: $64,455 out the door; The dealer I bought from doesn't charge ADM's or add any extra crap to it so it was bare bones besides the mud guards.
    • $62,900 MSRP
    • $60 Mud Guards
    • $1495 Delivery, processing and handling fee
  • Negative: With the windows down I find the snorkel to be incredibly obnoxious (very loud under almost any acceleration) and an oversight by their engineering team in my opinion. If given the option I would have omitted it. I don't mind the way it looks or its function, but the noise is in my opinion going to be tough to live with. I have not had a chance to get offroad yet but I am guessing that in a steep situation under constant acceleration it will have a nonstop swooshing sound. I am almost positive that the aftermarket will have some solutions/ideas to make it quieter in the future, but for now I will live with it and likely get used to it somewhat. I am not trying to blow this out of proportion, but I do find the truck amazing in literally all other aspects and highly refined, but this is a bit of a miss in my opinion.

Build: I will post progress pics as I build out each of the phases below.
    • What I've done so far
      • ARB rack removal
      • Ceramic window tint: 70% windshield, 15% front windows, 70% rear windows (this brings the rear to 20% and front to 15%, to the naked eye it matches and was as close as you can get). I am very happy with the way it turned out.
      • UpTop Overland Roof rack: This is mainly for aesthetics, but also air flow for our camper.
    • Next phase(s): I am based in the Denver area so most of the build is being done here locally with the exception of the Lone Peak.
      • 09/10 new tires -- Next week I'm putting 295 x 70 x 18 Falken Wildpeak AT4 tires on (this works out to being a 34.3). The shop I went to thinks that it might be possible to fit the tire underneath. I hope that's the case, but I will update everyone when I take it in on the 10th.
      • 09/13 Lone Peak Camper install-- Next week I am driving out to WA to get the Lone Peak Camper installed.
        • My buddy out here has an LP Camper and we've camped with him quite a few times now so I've been able to see it in action and love the design, size, quality, and price point.
      • 09/16 - 09/27 drawer and camp kitchen buildout by Air Down Gear Up: My truck will the first 4th Gen Tacoma (first Tacoma in general) install and I think is going to turn out amazing.
        • Air Down Gear Up is a competitive/alternative option to Goose Gear. The prices are very similar as well. They are based just north of Denver and so far I have had an excellent experience working with them.
      • 09/30 camper buildout by Juniper Overland: This is a pretty extensive build with details below.
        • 130w solar panel mounted to Lone Peak
        • Red Arc goodies (2000w inverter, TVMS Prime kit which includes Red Vision)
          • Everything will be wired through the Red Arc system and be able to be controlled either through Red Vision or the app.
        • National Luna Lights (5 total)
        • National Luna Fridge/Freezer
        • Dakota Lithium 135ah battery
        • Outlets (USB C & USB A)
        • Proper Heater install (I already have this from my previous build)
        • 12 gallon water tank + pump
  • If all goes according to plan I will have my truck fully built out by the first week or so of October.
Pics below: I have several starting with when I picked it up through where I am now in terms of "build out". The ones with it on the fork lift were at the shop that's doing the tires testing the flex to see what size tire we could get away with before requiring any bump stop or suspension changes as well as what size spare we could fit. I did not have the sway bar disconnected. I definitely could fit 35's without issue, but that will likely not fit in the spare location. This would be the only other minor complaint. If Toyota is building this thing to accommodate bigger tires then why didn't they increase the ability to carry a bigger spare. The pic of the snorkel piece I am assuming is what the QC hold was all about. I saw someone else post about it as well. The piece in my hand was sitting in the back seat and you can see rivets/attachment pieces on the one that is installed.

IMG_4293.jpeg

IMG_4302.jpeg

IMG_4304.jpeg

IMG_4306.jpeg

IMG_4308.jpeg

IMG_4307.jpeg

IMG_4323.jpeg

IMG_4321.jpeg
Nice truck and I like what you have planned. I've had my Lone Peak for a couple of months now and pretty much have it built out the way I want it with the exception of maybe some awning lights. A couple of things.

Assuming the spare space is the same on the Trailhunter as it is on my OR, I doubt there is any way you'll get a 34" in there, let alone a 35". I have KO3's in 285/70 17, which is just under 33" and it barely fits. Even then I didn't install it as a spare because imho it's too wide and hangs too far down. My plan is to put something like a 255/80 17, which is ever so slightly bigger than 33" but should fit with some elbow grease, on the steel spare rim.

Are you leaving the roof rack on with the Lone Peak? If so then I'm assuming they're building you the tall version? If not the camper is going to hit the rack. You'll find out soon enough but I doubt leaving it on will improve airflow over the camper. The camper is going to need the same air gap over the rack as it would need over the truck if you didn't have the rack so I would think the net effect would be the same.

The lip on the back of the tailgate has been my biggest gripe. With the camper's weather seal all the way tight against the tailgate you can't open the rear camper door without first opening the tailgate. That's all fine until you're locked inside the camper and can't get out. So far my solution has been to leave the screws loose on the adjustable panel that the weather seal fits in. If I push it up all the way then I have 1/2" gap and that gives me enough space to open the rear door but that's not a real solution. You might have the power tailgate and can lower it first while you're inside but, again, that's a workaround as well. I've been working w/Lone Peak on a replacement cap for the tailgate and actually should have a prototype today. I'll post pics but this is the first version and I'd be somewhat surprised if it's perfect. Super Pacific makes a fit kit and I've been tempted to buy it but I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to. Everyone who puts any sort of topper with a door on the truck is going to have the same issue so the first company to come up with a nice cost effective replacement is going to make some money...

Say hi to Kyle and Kecia at Lone Peak. I've worked quite a bit with them over the past six months and they are great people!

Sponsored

beungood

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Toyota 4Runner Limited
That is the bed length I want also.

kennyk

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma
Every picture of the Trail Hunter I've seen showed a 6' bed. I'm surprised to see your with a 5' bed. It looks really sharp though! I look forward to seeing your other upgrades.

OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice truck and I like what you have planned. I've had my Lone Peak for a couple of months now and pretty much have it built out the way I want it with the exception of maybe some awning lights. A couple of things.

Assuming the spare space is the same on the Trailhunter as it is on my OR, I doubt there is any way you'll get a 34" in there, let alone a 35". I have KO3's in 285/70 17, which is just under 33" and it barely fits. Even then I didn't install it as a spare because imho it's too wide and hangs too far down. My plan is to put something like a 255/80 17, which is ever so slightly bigger than 33" but should fit with some elbow grease, on the steel spare rim.

Are you leaving the roof rack on with the Lone Peak? If so then I'm assuming they're building you the tall version? If not the camper is going to hit the rack. You'll find out soon enough but I doubt leaving it on will improve airflow over the camper. The camper is going to need the same air gap over the rack as it would need over the truck if you didn't have the rack so I would think the net effect would be the same.

The lip on the back of the tailgate has been my biggest gripe. With the camper's weather seal all the way tight against the tailgate you can't open the rear camper door without first opening the tailgate. That's all fine until you're locked inside the camper and can't get out. So far my solution has been to leave the screws loose on the adjustable panel that the weather seal fits in. If I push it up all the way then I have 1/2" gap and that gives me enough space to open the rear door but that's not a real solution. You might have the power tailgate and can lower it first while you're inside but, again, that's a workaround as well. I've been working w/Lone Peak on a replacement cap for the tailgate and actually should have a prototype today. I'll post pics but this is the first version and I'd be somewhat surprised if it's perfect. Super Pacific makes a fit kit and I've been tempted to buy it but I'd rather not spend the money if I don't have to. Everyone who puts any sort of topper with a door on the truck is going to have the same issue so the first company to come up with a nice cost effective replacement is going to make some money...

Say hi to Kyle and Kecia at Lone Peak. I've worked quite a bit with them over the past six months and they are great people!
Thanks for the info. So My build date pushed a week or two and I'm pretty sure it's related to yours and some changes they are making as a result of your feedback since it was the first 4th gen. Yours was the first 4th gen right?

LP is doing the tall version. Bud (who was their 1st build I believe) is a friend of mine and I think with a front rack it looks better plus I have the future option of a light bar if I want. It's mostly aesthetic with some function.

I will say high to them for sure! As of right now I'm heading out to have it installed on 09/13.

If you have time, can you shoot me over a few pics? I'd love to see more build pics.

Edit: The shop here that is doing my tires is going to try and fit the 295 x 70 x 18 (34.3) ... We will see. If it does not fit then I'll stick with the stock tire. I only ordered 4 tires for now so they can test fit before I order a 5th. I'll keep everyone updated on fitment.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2ndGen2TrlHntr

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Every picture of the Trail Hunter I've seen showed a 6' bed. I'm surprised to see your with a 5' bed. It looks really sharp though! I look forward to seeing your other upgrades.
Thanks, I could not be happier with the truck! The Bronze is a much sharper color in person than pics as well in my opinion. I did find it odd as well that all the marketing stuff (or most) had 6ft displayed.

JWestie

First Name
Rand
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Tacoma OR
I really want a Long bed hybrid and the TH is the only way to get there. Unfortunately all the unnecessary add-ons,, (most notably the snorkel), and the high cost (to me) make it a no-go. Hopefully a LB hybrid in some other trim becomes available in the coming years.
Sponsored