Cold Air Intake CAI System?

Sidrta

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma
I was considering installing an aftermarket cold air intake system. I don't have any experience with them. So, I was wondering if anyone out there does or is considering an installation. There are claims in adds 15 HP and 17 Lbs x Ft. TQ. Also wondering if an installation will require retuning to accommodate.
I would greatly appreciate some thoughts on plus and minus.
Sponsored

sparkytaco

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road
Not worth it in my opinion. Those crappy oil filters cause more problems than they are worth.

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
A cold air intake for a truck that has an intercooler in the turbo system to cool the air. What?

Take a look at the video Project Farm did on YouTube about engine filters and how the K&N did. (Walk.)

PhilosopherSergeant

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I was also wondering about this...I'm assuming OP is talking about the aFe intake system? For those saying nay, is the company lying about the gains or is there something else at play here?

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
is the company lying about the gains or is there something else at play here?
If that's the one with the K&N filter, watch this video, and you'll understand why it boosts performance. Run your truck without a filter, and it, too, will boost power. For a while.

Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
From my experience with oiled cone air filters-the mass air flow sensor may need to be cleaned with a circuit board friendly/mass air flow sensor cleaner. Sometimes the oil that coats the cotton air filtration media can transfer and coat the mass air flow sensor, and could potentially prevent the mass airflow sensor from accurately reading the air rate as the air passes through the sensor.
Dry filters are made, just a little rare. The OE air filter assembly is designed to dampen engine sound that travels through the throttle body. Removing the acoustic “dampening” will make the engine sound increase-especially on naturally aspirated engines. On this Turbo charged engine…. You would likely hear more turbo whistling. I had an 87 Buick Grand National, and with the cone filter- yeah… lots of turbo spooling up sound… on a naturally aspirated 4.7 Toyota sequoia, lots of growl. Any power increase from a cone shaped air filter will not really be noticed… to test for perform gains: best installed after a 1/4 mile pass, and then make another 1/4 pass to see if ET and MPH has changed. I do not know enough about twin scroll turbochargers to know if they whistle as much as “conventional” impeller designed turbos.

Odzter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Can’t have your cake and eat it too. You have to let more dirt in to let more air in. For 0.1 second though? Btw, the truck already comes with a CAI standard just without the high flow filter.
Sponsored