TRD OR - Tire Size Upgrade Concerns

bheiser1

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I recently picked up a 2024 TRD OR with the TRD Upgrade package, and am considering a tire upgrade. However with all the electronics in these vehicles I'm concerned about the impact of changing the tire size. It could impact how everything works, from the speedometer, odometer, or even how the different drive modes & shifting work.

But I know upgrading tire size is pretty routine for trucks like these. Do you just accept that everything will be off kilter, the odometer and speed will be wrong, etc? Or is there a way to adjust the vehicle to compensate for the larger tires?

Back in the day when I had a Jeep Wrangler, I upgraded the tire size, and it even impacted the vehicle performance. But there was a way to easily change a gear to compensate for proper speedometer & odometer readouts. And this was in 2006 when there wasn't so much dependency on electronics.

I'd upgrade to 285x70/17 (I saw a video where they demonstrated that this size won't cause any rubbing issues). I don't have a lift and don't plan to install one anytime soon.
Sponsored

GDawgs34

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
I too would like to know this as I am putting the same size on my TRD OR Friday. I have not seen anything online that indicates issues electronically with 33s.

Muckle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
NA
Can confirm no issues running 285/70/17s. As far as calibrating speedometer/odometer, unknown. Following this thread for info there.

Sponsored

GDawgs34

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road
Nice. Wheels look good too. I tried to get the TRD 4r wheels, but the 24 Tacoma hub is smaller. Going with the stock for now.

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I'm running 285/70R17 Falken AT4W (SL load rating). I've noticed no negative affects with the sensors or anything else. The speedometer is slightly off but only by roughly 3% which is around 2-3mph at 60mph. I've checked this against GPS.

The new tires ride just slightly stiffer than the OEM tires, but nothing like the E-rated tires on my previous truck (F150).

If someone ever figures out how to calibrate the speedometer for the larger tires, then I'll do it. Of all the trucks that I've owned, I've only been able to calibrate my F150 for larger tires.

Sponsored