Sponsored

Pretty sure my transmission is on its way out.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I'm at 10K miles and my shifts are smooth but recently I've developed a weird shudder around 1800rpm when I'm just lightly on the gas. Feels like a torque converter shudder but I'm not sure. Not even going to attempt to take it to the dealer because I know they'll just blow me off.
So you’re just gonna live with it? How bad is the shudder?
Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I'm at 10K miles and my shifts are smooth but recently I've developed a weird shudder around 1800rpm when I'm just lightly on the gas. Feels like a torque converter shudder but I'm not sure. Not even going to attempt to take it to the dealer because I know they'll just blow me off.
When they want you to change a “dirty” air filter for $50 or do a throttle body service for $180, they are up your asshole. When you need them to do their actual job, which is to diagnose and resolve serious issues, they will always tell you it’s normal and to go home.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
When they want you to change a “dirty” air filter for $50 or do a throttle body service for $180, they are up your asshole. When you need them to do their actual job, which is to diagnose and resolve serious issues, they will always tell you it’s normal and to go home.
Every Toyota dealership must take classes on how to say “normal characteristic of vehicle “ engine

Airborne

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 4runner
Gary , im sorry you are having these issues and i hope you are able to get to a solution, is there any chance for you to have a factory service rep go on a ride along/w you. To verify, it may even help contacting the BBB, or a consumer advocate group, then an attorney, you could be injured with a transmission issue, its dangerouse and toyota needs to aknowledge , .
Doesnt matter if your vin is on list, after seeing your truck ,they may need to expand the TSB…. Good luck gary ,hope things work out for you

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Gary , im sorry you are having these issues and i hope you are able to get to a solution, is there any chance for you to have a factory service rep go on a ride along/w you. To verify, it may even help contacting the BBB, or a consumer advocate group, then an attorney, you could be injured with a transmission issue, its dangerouse and toyota needs to aknowledge , .
Doesnt matter if your vin is on list, after seeing your truck ,they may need to expand the TSB…. Good luck gary ,hope things work out for you
I’m riding it out until my first service which will be in another month. Thanks though, and yes I’ll be bringing it up for an FTS from Toyota to check it out. Without doubt needs a new trans but as of now it’s still driving , low speeds and low gears are torture though that’s when it is the worst. Honestly i know eventually ill get a new transmission and life will be good but im just frustrated at the lack of info on the matter from Toyota.

Sponsored

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I’m riding it out until my first service which will be in another month. Thanks though, and yes I’ll be bringing it up for an FTS from Toyota to check it out. Without doubt needs a new trans but as of now it’s still driving , low speeds and low gears are torture though that’s when it is the worst. Honestly i know eventually ill get a new transmission and life will be good but im just frustrated at the lack of info on the matter from Toyota.

What do you mean low gears are torture? If it’s so obvious take the tech for a spin

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
What do you mean low gears are torture? If it’s so obvious take the tech for a spin
Clunking , bucking, vibrations, shudders. I honestly just wanna wait for it to get so bad it fails or doesn’t move that way I don’t need to go through the circus show of warranty repair claims, I’ve dealt with Toyota before on issues and it’s not always a pleasant expierence unless something completely fails

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
this was a video of 24 Tacoma thought it would help owners with diagnosis of symptoms if the link does not work I apologize and will attempt second post of it.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
@TurboTruck! That video makes this problem a lot clearer for me. It can be pretty hard to understand from just a description in a post. If it jerks enough to show up in a video it must be bad enough for even a dealer tech to see, and no way is that normal.

Nothing like that in my truck yet, but it is still very low miles. If mine starts doing that I will take it to the dealer and say what the hell? That would start the countdown for a problem that does not get fixed, aiming at a buy back. If it does not get fixed after three trips to the dealer then you are on your way to them either fixing it or buying it back.

I can't remember @TurboTruck! where your truck stands. Did your transmission die and get replaced or are you still driving it screwed up?

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
@TurboTruck! That video makes this problem a lot clearer for me. It can be pretty hard to understand from just a description in a post. If it jerks enough to show up in a video it must be bad enough for even a dealer tech to see, and no way is that normal.

Nothing like that in my truck yet, but it is still very low miles. If mine starts doing that I will take it to the dealer and say what the hell? That would start the countdown for a problem that does not get fixed, aiming at a buy back. If it does not get fixed after three trips to the dealer then you are on your way to them either fixing it or buying it back.

I can't remember @TurboTruck! where your truck stands. Did your transmission die and get replaced or are you still driving it screwed up?
That’s what mine does same thing as videos but worse at times along with clunking downshifts, shudders, skips gears. All generally at low speeds

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5

Answer me this please. When you’re driving through a parking lot slowly and making some turns or just going straight there is zero “back and forth” bucking or jerking?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
That’s what mine does same thing as videos but worse at times along with clunking downshifts, shudders, skips gears. All generally at low speeds
Damn! That sucks.

Answer me this please. When you’re driving through a parking lot slowly and making some turns or just going straight there is zero “back and forth” bucking or jerking?
No, mine does nothing like that. It drives and shifts smooth as silk at any speed. My truck is still new and it might change, but no way will I pay the cost of a 4th gen and put up with that kind of crap.

I understand why you don't want the dealer screwing with your new truck, but no way would I drive a truck that shifts like yours does. As I said above, I would take it in not so much for them to fix it but to start down the road toward a lemon law buyout.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Damn! That sucks.

No, mine does nothing like that. It drives and shifts smooth as silk at any speed. My truck is still new and it might change, but no way will I pay the cost of a 4th gen and put up with that kind of crap.

I understand why you don't want the dealer screwing with your new truck, but no way would I drive a truck that shifts like yours does. As I said above, I would take it in not so much for them to fix it but to start down the road toward a lemon law buyout.
Yup I’m just dreading dealing with the idiots at the dealership. This won’t be my first rodeo with them.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Yup I’m just dreading dealing with the idiots at the dealership. This won’t be my first rodeo with them.
I totally get that, but you don't have a slight problem - your truck shifts like shit. A defective drivetrain is something that has to be fixed, no matter how much your dealer sucks.

Do you have any other dealers near you that might be better? I have a dealer that I totally trust but I have bought Toyotas from other dealers that I did not trust at all, so I understand.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I totally get that, but you don't have a slight problem - your truck shifts like shit. A defective drivetrain is something that has to be fixed, no matter how much your dealer sucks.

Do you have any other dealers near you that might be better? I have a dealer that I totally trust but I have bought Toyotas from other dealers that I did not trust at all, so I understand.
Yeah there’s a few around me. I’m not taking it to the dealer I bought it from, those people act like you’re bothering them if you bring it in for a concern. I should just make an appointment at the dealer by my work suck it up and bring it in
Sponsored