Sponsored

Pretty sure my transmission is on its way out.

TurboTruck!

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma SR MT 4x4
I have manual transmission. I was just trying to help with diagnosis of symptoms. Description in a post is difficult to decipher. Figured that video would help understanding what is going on.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I totally get that, but you don't have a slight problem - your truck shifts like shit. A defective drivetrain is something that has to be fixed, no matter how much your dealer sucks.

Do you have any other dealers near you that might be better? I have a dealer that I totally trust but I have bought Toyotas from other dealers that I did not trust at all, so I understand.
Appointment is booked with dealership for October 16th. Shop foreman is aware of the tsb and he will test drive my truck and go from there

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Good. 4th gen Tacos are too nice to have to drive a broken one around and worry about it.
Yup wish me luck that they feel the transmission acting up and Toyota gives the go ahead to replace it. I’ll keep everyone posted for sure

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
That’s what mine does same thing as videos but worse at times along with clunking downshifts, shudders, skips gears. All generally at low speeds

Mine does nothing like that. All I feel on occasion is super tiny vibrations coming through the brake when slowing to a stop. It could been just be the electric motor for all I know.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Mine does nothing like that. All I feel on occasion is super tiny vibrations coming through the brake when slowing to a stop. It could been just be the electric motor for all I know.
Yeah I know for a fact mines on its way out. Can’t wait to see what the dealer says. I requested the shop foreman drive it

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
Good. 4th gen Tacos are too nice to have to drive a broken one around and worry about it.
What I’m hoping is they feel it a little bit and drop the trans pan and find debris, that should be enough to get it replaced. On top of that I would think Toyota would want my transmission back for them to tear it down especially because there is no codes yet

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
I get a super minor shudder when braking sometimes - on the Tundra forum people all say it’s the hybrid releasing from regenerative charging. I don’t think I have any issues. I think what is happening with some folks is a super high alert concern this may happen to them, and so any tiny thing they feel is assumed to be transmission failing. I’m not saying you all are not having real issues but I feel like I’ve gone down the paranoia rabbit hole.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
How new is your TH?

The engine in my truck shuts off when you are stopping a lot of the time and restarts when it needs to. When I first got my truck I could feel a slight vibration when it did that, but now after a few hundred miles that seems to have gone away. If I turned off the fake engine noise I would probably never even know if the engine was running except by looking at the tach.

tacorancher

First Name
k
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma TH
How new is your TH?

The engine in my truck shuts off when you are stopping a lot of the time and restarts when it needs to. When I first got my truck I could feel a slight vibration when it did that, but now after a few hundred miles that seems to have gone away. If I turned off the fake engine noise I would probably never even know if the engine was running except by looking at the tach.

I’m at 1,800 miles. It’s not the engine off / on, I don’t think. It’s a small vibration when coming to a stop, but I’ll pay more attention to if it coincides with engine.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I’m at 1,800 miles. It’s not the engine off / on, I don’t think. It’s a small vibration when coming to a stop, but I’ll pay more attention to if it coincides with engine.
Is it like quick 1 second vibration right before the truck comes to a stop and you feel it from the rear ?

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
It could also be cause by regen braking but I have never been able to feel any transition between that and the normal braking system. Toyota handles that so well after all their hybrid experience that you seldom know exactly what it is doing.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Pro
Is it like quick 1 second vibration right before the truck comes to a stop and you feel it from the rear ?
I don't remember what trim you have. If it has leaf springs it could be axle wrap, which Toyota trucks are famous for, but I don't think that could happen with coils.

OP
OP
Gfenza89

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I don't remember what trim you have. If it has leaf springs it could be axle wrap, which Toyota trucks are famous for, but I don't think that could happen with coils.
Mines an sr5 with coil springs. It’s deff the transmission because it’s the same shudder/vibration when accelerating sometimes. One time it was so bad the entire started shaking scary actually.