Sponsored

2024 Toyota Tacoma engine noise reduction with premium fuel

First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I typically use top tier fuel from a local gas station but they don’t sell premium fuel. Today I filled up with premium from another local gas station. I thought I would try it since a Land Cruiser requires premium fuel and I would see if there is a difference. Much of the engine noise(especially from a stop on a hill etc) has gone away. I was truly surprised by this. Anyone else experienced anything similar?
Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
It sounds less diesel like with premium. I also felt like it pinged in certain situations on regular gas. I wonder if that’s why they require it for the Land Cruiser. I am sure the programming is different between the two as well.

fightforfood247

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma trd off road
I can't swallow the idea that an octane change will get rid of any engine noise. Pre-detonation yes, but our trucks won't have that because of the ECU.

Now, you believe it, so that's okay.
I also cannot believe or fathom why this would move the needle to make a difference. It’s possible, also placebo is a real documented thing. If OP is happy that’s all that matters I suppose….. keep buying that expensive

Sponsored

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma iForce Max
Why the LC requires premium makes not sense. The engine specs are the same as the Tacoma.

SnowmanJPS

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Subaru Outback XT (24 Pro on order)
My Subaru boxer is noticeably quieter with 91 over 87, it doesn’t require premium, but I have always ran premium in my vehicles and motorcycles only switched when gas was really expensive for a week or some at a time

OP
OP
First Name
Scot
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I am wondering if they are doing it because it’s quieter and virtually no chance of pinging. I swear in certain situations I would hear it ping with 87.

Sponsored

batman900

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma OR
Could be placebo but I feel like it's quieter halfway through this tank of 89 no ethanol compared to the 87 with ethanol I had been using. In the mornings, I back out of my shop and then have to get out to pull down and lock the shop door which is when I notice it the most. Might be coincidence or nothing, dunno.

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Does 5w 30 void the warranty?
Since 5w30 synthetic is recommended for the same engine for warm weather for the European market… I would say that Toyota would have a difficult time punishing you for trying to use a more robust oil for hot climates. Thinner oils are more thermally conductive yet fail at a lower temperature.

hoodouken

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Subaru STi, 2021 Subaru Outback, 2024 TRD OR Tacoma
My Subaru boxer is noticeably quieter with 91 over 87, it doesn’t require premium, but I have always ran premium in my vehicles and motorcycles only switched when gas was really expensive for a week or some at a time
Hy bud you're supposed to running premium in Suby turbo'd engines. I have an STi and an Outback XT. Just being safe and hoping to help.
Sponsored