Sponsored

2024 TRD Sport Trailer Hitch Issue

MarGar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
To keep it simple, I have a 2024 Tacoma and the trailer hitch receiver will not allow my trailer hitch to properly slide in.

It is a 2" draw but there seems to be a plastic type insert in the receiver that goes around the opening that makes it so tight that the hitch cannot seat itself and it looks like it is scratching the plastic..

Has anyone heard of this or has experienced the same issue.

Thanks for helping...

And no, its not a joke and it does not need lube.
Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I've been regularly towing with my limited and have had no issues with various 2" hitches (my standard aluminum one as well as my WD hitch).

I just looked on my truck and I don't have any sort of "plastic" insert around the opening of the receiver. Are you able to just remove the plastic? Maybe a picture would help.

OP
OP
MarGar

MarGar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
I've been regularly towing with my limited and have had no issues with various 2" hitches (my standard aluminum one as well as my WD hitch).
2024 Tacoma 2024 TRD Sport Trailer Hitch Issue IMG_5746

I just looked on my truck and I don't have any sort of "plastic" insert around the opening of the receiver. Are you able to just remove the plastic? Maybe a picture would help.
Thanks for your input. It is strange to look at as there is a plastic square ring inserted into the draw and cannot be removed. It seems to be a weld.

What i did find out is that the hitch that I was trying seems to be incorrect from the manufacturer. it looks like it is a millimeter or two larger that the standard 2" and that may be the issues. I have a call into Toyota to try and get a true idea of what the plastic piece is.

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Thanks for your input. It is strange to look at as there is a plastic square ring inserted into the draw and cannot be removed. It seems to be a weld.

What i did find out is that the hitch that I was trying seems to be incorrect from the manufacturer. it looks like it is a millimeter or two larger that the standard 2" and that may be the issues. I have a call into Toyota to try and get a true idea of what the plastic piece is.
That piece isn't plastic. It's the actual steel receiver tube. Mine looks identical.

My guess is based on your post the issue is with the hitch itself. As I stated, I've had no issues with multiple different 2" hitches.

If you're hauling frequently, just use this as an opportunity to buy a nice weigh safe hitch. They're awesome and provide an additional level of safety to make sure you're not exceeding capacities on tongue weight.

OP
OP
MarGar

MarGar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport
Much appreciated and I am glad that I am not crazy, (well not too)

Sponsored

907Yota

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Toyota Xtracab 4WD
I assume you looked closely at the hitch. I own several, and the last one I purchased had a little bit of welding slag on it, preventing it from going into the receiver.
I just touched it up a little with a grinder and it fits like a glove.

it seems odd that your hitch would’ve been manufactured too large, but Stranger Things have happened. Good luck with it.

Pharpost

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra
To keep it simple, I have a 2024 Tacoma and the trailer hitch receiver will not allow my trailer hitch to properly slide in.

It is a 2" draw but there seems to be a plastic type insert in the receiver that goes around the opening that makes it so tight that the hitch cannot seat itself and it looks like it is scratching the plastic..

Has anyone heard of this or has experienced the same issue.

Thanks for helping...

And no, its not a joke and it does not need lube.
Yes, got mine at Tractor Supply. They don't stock many, but you do need one that's 1/4" longer then what you have, I think it was 3-3/4" but you should double check that!
Sponsored