Sponsored

Apple CarPlay not working after installing Garmin dashcam via Dongar adapter

PDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I contacted Garmin…. Known issue with no solution. So I started experimenting, disconnected the power to the Garmin. And still no CarPlay …. Hummm. So I went through the pairing process between phone and truck. That solved the problem.
Sponsored

Sagebrush

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma
To download videos from my Garmin, I turn off CarPlay in the phone and connect to the app. When I’m done, i turn CarPlay back on.

Dongar

ELITE Sponsor
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Hi @PDL ,

This issue is simple and we see it in a ton of different dashcams on the market (btw, it has nothing to do with our adapter or the dashcam power). Most dashcams use a combination of wifi + bluetooth to connect to your phone, but so does Carplay and your phone can't connect to both devices at the same time. Likewise if you use Carplay, you will not be able to connect to the dashcam simultaneously.

Your best bet is to 'forget' the dashcam in Bluetooth and disable autojoining the Garmin's WiFi network or just delete the Garmin's wifi network from your list of networks. After all, you'll only need to connect to the dashcam if you need the footage, and it only takes a minute or two to rejoin the Garmin.

Pootklopp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronze Oxide TRD OR
It's probably a Wi-Fi issue since both will be trying to connect to your phone.

Edit: What they said ☝

OP
OP

PDL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Hi @PDL ,

This issue is simple and we see it in a ton of different dashcams on the market (btw, it has nothing to do with our adapter or the dashcam power). Most dashcams use a combination of wifi + bluetooth to connect to your phone, but so does Carplay and your phone can't connect to both devices at the same time. Likewise if you use Carplay, you will not be able to connect to the dashcam simultaneously.

Your best bet is to 'forget' the dashcam in Bluetooth and disable autojoining the Garmin's WiFi network or just delete the Garmin's wifi network from your list of networks. After all, you'll only need to connect to the dashcam if you need the footage, and it only takes a minute or two to rejoin the Garmin.
Thanks!! Everything seems to be working for now … but if it stops, I now know the problem and how to avoid it!
Sponsored