Sponsored

Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma?

geonerdist

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Off Road/2007 Nissan Xterra
I have the same truck as you with the heated seats and lg screen but no brake controller. What redarc model did you order and can you explain how/where you wired the controller? Is it powered behind the rear passenger seat? How did you run the wire to the control knob in the dash?
I've been meaning to post my write up and kept forgetting. Thank you for the reminder. See attached document.
Sponsored

Attachments

4thGenOffRd

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road
Thanks for the write up. I’m picking up my trailer this week and will probably drive it home 40 miles without trailer brakes. I hope the 7 pin connector on the taco at least has brakes lights connected for the drive home. I will start on this asap.

geonerdist

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the write up. I’m picking up my trailer this week and will probably drive it home 40 miles without trailer brakes. I hope the 7 pin connector on the taco at least has brakes lights connected for the drive home. I will start on this asap.
Mine did so wishing you the same luck.

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
I've been meaning to post my write up and kept forgetting. Thank you for the reminder. See attached document.
Thank you for all your hard work putting that together.
It helped immensely when buying the truck as I raised the issue of no brake controller option with dealership and they couldn't figure a simple fix. Redarc shared your pdf step by step with me and I then with local Action Truck and Trailer shop.
Because dealership couldn't find a way to add the oem brake controller, they agreed to have local shop install Redarc and have it all on bill of sale so I wouldn't have warranty worries.
Made the situation straightforward and a big thanks to you for making that painless.
2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? 20240731_083942

geonerdist

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for all your hard work putting that together.
It helped immensely when buying the truck as I raised the issue of no brake controller option with dealership and they couldn't figure a simple fix. Redarc shared your pdf step by step with me and I then with local Action Truck and Trailer shop.
Because dealership couldn't find a way to add the oem brake controller, they agreed to have local shop install Redarc and have it all on bill of sale so I wouldn't have warranty worries.
Made the situation straightforward and a big thanks to you for making that painless.
20240731_083942.jpg
Excellent glad it helped!

Sponsored

jharger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5 Tacoma
Thanks for the write up and all the time and research that went into figuring it out. I just completed installing my TowPro controller and came up with a few ways to save some cost and simplify the installation. Take a look at the attached document and perhaps you might want to update yours. Otherwise for all, here are my suggestions.

Attachments

geonerdist

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the write up and all the time and research that went into figuring it out. I just completed installing my TowPro controller and came up with a few ways to save some cost and simplify the installation. Take a look at the attached document and perhaps you might want to update yours. Otherwise for all, here are my suggestions.
Great find on that blew wire! I had a feeling that was it but I didn't have the right tool or a friend at the time that could help me check continuity on that wire.

If you have a blue wire in the position on the 7-pin harness in the back, it does go inside the cab under the passenger side back seat. So no need for running a new one like I did.

2024 Tacoma Brake controller harness for 4th gen Tacoma? Picture1

jharger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 SR5 Tacoma
Great find on that blew wire! I had a feeling that was it but I didn't have the right tool or a friend at the time that could help me check continuity on that wire.

If you have a blue wire in the position on the 7-pin harness in the back, it does go inside the cab under the passenger side back seat. So no need for running a new one like I did.

Picture1.jpg
It seems the signal wire could be traced to up front somewhere and eliminate the need to cut into the harness.
Sponsored