Sponsored

Breaking-in: Straight off the lot and straight to the ... highway?

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Reading up on the break in requirements and it mentions not to drive at a constant speed for a prolonged period of time ... bad news for me.

It costs me a fraction of the costs to drive 5 hours south and get my vehicle tinted than it does to do locally, and I'm petty enough to do just that, plus the 500km one way trip would be great for getting the break in over with.

How would I avoid the issue of keeping a constant speed? Would circulating from 120kph to 100kph every half hour or so suffice? Or is it something that realistically I should overly even worry about?

I'm bringing a smoker with me so we'll be stopping every hour and a half or some anyways, but I'm just being my normal paranoid self.
Sponsored

ridetime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
I bought a Wrangler 392 in Des Moines and drove it back to Tulsa. What I did was try to vary the gearing periodically. Drive in eight, for awhile, then 7th, 6th ect. You can also slow down a bit and do light pulls up to the speed limit traffic permitting. Just play around with it and work on varying load and rpms. Or.... You could just drive it and it will be fine. ;)

Last edited:

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I would stop frequently, off ramps, back on, turn off and back on.

I have to do 350 miles from the dealer my allocation will be located with a 6MT. Long day getting back.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Awesome, thanks folks! Relieves some of those anxious thoughts haha

Reactions: oxi

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma
I would stop frequently, off ramps, back on, turn off and back on.

I have to do 350 miles from the dealer my allocation will be located with a 6MT. Long day getting back.
hey oxi i'm waiting on a MT as well. TRD Sport with the premium package in BlueCrushMetallic. Which trim level are you going with ?

Sponsored

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
hey oxi i'm waiting on a MT as well. TRD Sport with the premium package in BlueCrushMetallic. Which trim level are you going with ?
Bronze Oxide with few options making it a cheapie...

Dealer already has my leveling kit waiting, upon arrival 265/70 R18 BFG KO2's going on.

Will be in Kansas City this morning, switching to Canada Pacific power enroute to Bensenville, Illinois yard

2024 Tacoma Breaking-in: Straight off the lot and straight to the ... highway? thumbnail_20240216_202119

Last edited:

TexasBlueCrush

First Name
bre
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
tacoma

Dealer already has my leveling kit waiting, upon arrival 265/70 R18 BFG KO2's going on.

Will be in Kansas City this morning, switching to Canada Pacific power enroute to Bensenville, Illinois yard

thumbnail_20240216_202119.jpg
Congrats on your purchase. We love pictures lol.

Sponsored

JT michigan

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma TRD

thumbnail_20240216_202119.jpg
Hoping for the bronze oxide as well though never seen it on sheet metal! only pictures which vary HUGELY!

oxi

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport 6MT
I worked for CP for 35 years...how far does it have to go? Just to Bensenville?

TTGX 997153 will arrive in Bensenville, then on to semi-truck for dealer.

Should be a full rail car of Tacoma's on that one.

M1KL83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester Wilderness
Reading up on the break in requirements and it mentions not to drive at a constant speed for a prolonged period of time ... bad news for me.

It costs me a fraction of the costs to drive 5 hours south and get my vehicle tinted than it does to do locally, and I'm petty enough to do just that, plus the 500km one way trip would be great for getting the break in over with.

How would I avoid the issue of keeping a constant speed? Would circulating from 120kph to 100kph every half hour or so suffice? Or is it something that realistically I should overly even worry about?

I'm bringing a smoker with me so we'll be stopping every hour and a half or some anyways, but I'm just being my normal paranoid self.
Try to keep it below 4000 rpm (maybe it's 4500, I don't have the Tacoma book in front of me) while continuing to vary engine rpm's. The 6mt makes this easier on longer drives during break in by down shifting and upshifting more often than you would normally.
While on hwy, drop down to 5th for a few minutes then back up to 6th for a bit; rinse and repeat.
The frequent stops will certainly help too.
That's the system I've used and experienced great results.
Have fun with it! Share those tint details and pics when you can.

OP
OP
Kielly

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
Try to keep it below 4000 rpm (maybe it's 4500, I don't have the Tacoma book in front of me) while continuing to vary engine rpm's. The 6mt makes this easier on longer drives during break in by down shifting and upshifting more often than you would normally.
While on hwy, drop down to 5th for a few minutes then back up to 6th for a bit; rinse and repeat.
The frequent stops will certainly help too.
That's the system I've used and experienced great results.
Have fun with it! Share those tint details and pics when you can.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I ended up doing. I got some pictures of her tinted over here
Sponsored