Sponsored

Cause for TFL's broken 2024 Tacoma transmission driveline explained. Interview with Sheldon Brown (Tacoma Chief Engineer)

cuechairo

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(TBD) 2024 Tacoma TRD OR

Well well, it looks like my theory back in February on what happened was correct (explained in the video around the 7:30 mark). TLDR, a combination of different factors led to too much torque being sent to that one wheel, and in that particular MTS mode, brake was applied too aggressively. Also as I expected, it sounds like they have a fix for this issue in software (12:50 mark), but it sounds like they do not have information yet on if it will be OTA or done at a dealer.

1719673023119-39.png
Sponsored

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Savagegeese spilled some of the beans on this a week ago, It was sliglty more TFL's fault than they let on lol

Link here

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Pre-Runner
Savagegeese spilled some of the beans on this a week ago, It was sliglty more TFL's fault than they let on lol

Link here
Except there is no "ice" mode in 4L. There are "Auto", "Sand", "Mud", and "Rock" modes. They were on a road with rocks so it's not surprising that they used "Rock" mode.

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Package, Underground

Link here
Yea I saw that. Funny how some of these YouTubers kind of bend the truth when shit goes south. Sometime just for click bait

Fly-by-Night

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD Sport Upgrade Package, Underground
Except there is no "ice" mode in 4L. There are "Auto", "Sand", "Mud", and "Rock" modes. They were on a road with rocks so it's not surprising that they used "Rock" mode.
Yes Rocks covered in ice. Knowing what you are driving on is very important. I don't care what the surface is if it's covered in ice traction will be very limited if not at all. Should have had chain on

Sponsored

JakeJoeBob

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4runner
Good point, I suppose they should have left it in auto but many of us proably would have made that same mistake and used Rock mode not knowing any better. Either way, good that added more saftey nets to MTS.

soupy1234

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Pre-Runner
Good point, I suppose they should have left it in auto but many of us proably would have made that same mistake and used Rock mode not knowing any better. Either way, good that added more saftey nets to MTS.
I'm sure I would have. Probably going to leave mine off or in auto mode. The idea of having the computer do that for you seems a little strange to me to begin with. Of course, the last time I went 4-wheeling was in 1990. I hope I can learn to drive over ruts again.
Sponsored