Sponsored

DIY PPF

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000
Im tempted to a get a roll of 3M PPF from amazon then cut to fit and apply to the hardest hit areas of the truck.

Ive done some vinyl wrap before but never PPF.

Seems to me the Toyota PPF options dont get some of the spots i want covered (rear panel / fender).

Thoughts?

2024 Tacoma DIY PPF Untitled 6
Sponsored

Wighty

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 TRD Off Road
Me too, but include the mirror caps, which may be difficult due to the roundness and then my fender flares.

TacoFreak

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Tundra
I plan to pay someone to PPF my truck, but it is crazy expensive.

If you have done a wrap I would think that PPF is pretty much the same thing.

Post some pictures it you do your Taco.

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 TRD OR 6MT DCSB Underground
I highly recommend doing the rear fender. I did it myself and have never applied it before and it turned out great. Good enough that I bought a roll of 6ā€ stuff to do the bottom of the doors.

2024 Tacoma DIY PPF IMG_9118

Sponsored

Kielly

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Sport+ 6M
PPF is probably easier in the sense that you don't overly have to worry about stretching it too much with it being clear and colorless

Burgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Taco
doing small sections like that is pretty easy. Get quality film like 3M. Get a spray bottle with soapy water and soak your hands and the film before applying(use way more water than you think, this lets you slide the film once its on the car). Don't worry if you don't get all the bubbles out during installation. With good quality film, after a day or 2 in the sun the bubbles will disappear.

jdmz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Tacoma TRD Offroad
the hood was a pain i the ass because of all the humps. I did diy ppf before on a tesla but this truck is much harder. Got a bunch of air bubbles now but oh well.

Gear_yyc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Chevy Avalanche
I'm not very experienced, but PPF is much harder than vinyl. It's not as easy to work with, and you can't use a heat gun to tighten it up. If you stretch it too much or in the wrong way, that entire piece is useless. Granted, my attempt was with a front bumper on a car. lol
Anyway, for small areas or surfaces that don't have much curvature, it should be pretty easy to do.

reklov

First Name
@VentureOutTRD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD OFF-Road Premium
the hood was a pain i the ass because of all the humps. I did diy ppf before on a tesla but this truck is much harder. Got a bunch of air bubbles now but oh well.
What brand PPF did you use?

Sponsored

WhiteLightning

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road
I highly recommend doing the rear fender. I did it myself and have never applied it before and it turned out great. Good enough that I bought a roll of 6ā€ stuff to do the bottom of the doors.

IMG_9118.jpeg
Can you link where you got yours? I have a Terra Pro and want to do the rear fenders since this seems to be the most prominent area where stuff flies back.

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Can you link where you got yours? I have a Terra Pro and want to do the rear fenders since this seems to be the most prominent area where stuff flies back.

Edit: Link doesnā€™t appear to be working, but just search 4ā€ 3M PPF on Amazon and it should come up.

I did a trip where I put on 300 km of gravel roads and I got some paint chips even above the strips I did. I did the bottom of the doors with PPF and turns out itā€™s easy and my confidence is high, so I think Iā€™m going to remove the small piece I did on the fenders and get some 12ā€ wide stuff and trace out what I really want to cover.

OP
OP
Ron

Ron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited Hybrid, Honda Pioneer 1000

Edit: Link doesnā€™t appear to be working, but just search 4ā€ 3M PPF on Amazon and it should come up.

I did a trip where I put on 300 km of gravel roads and I got some paint chips even above the strips I did. I did the bottom of the doors with PPF and turns out itā€™s easy and my confidence is high, so I think Iā€™m going to remove the small piece I did on the fenders and get some 12ā€ wide stuff and trace out what I really want to cover.
Uh oh... i bought 6" for the bottom of the doors.
Did the gravel road chew up more than that ?

WhiteLightning

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road

Im wondering how well it would turn out since the fenders on the pro are somewhat different. I just need the part above the downward curve.

Powhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Uh oh... i bought 6" for the bottom of the doors.
Did the gravel road chew up more than that ?
I did 6ā€ on the bottom of the doors and everything was fine there. Itā€™s not a super high danger area anyway. Iā€™m just probably going to redo the fender area. I definitely got the worst area but still had some chips. The painted flares on the Pro are going to get beat to hell so you might want to consider that area as well.
Sponsored