Sponsored

elturco

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
Thank you for your detailed response. I have decided, thanks to your information, to also replace the springs on my Tacoma OR with Dobinsons to help deal with extra weight of my camper and toys within. I think I added at least 600 pounds to the truck and as such it has lost about 3 inches of height in the back.

I hope you have a great trip. It will be nice if you can report on it. I am going on a trip my self to the Vegas area to camp. I will order the new springs when I am back in a couple of weeks.
Sponsored

RESQCAT

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma Trailhunter (Underground)
Need some advice...

So my Trailhunter build adds equipment (not including more gear).

FRONT is a rack, some lights, bumper, winch. Estimated weight is about 225 lbs. or a bit more.

BACK is a Leitner rack with boxes, bed roof, some lights, Decked drawer and CargoGlide. Estimated weight empty is about 625 lbs.

Weights are estimated at this point; fuel, water, gear will add some more weight towards the back.

DOBSON springs to offset this?

• Front Coil Spring Specs:
    • C59-822 (50mm- 2") 110-220lb Load
  • Rear Coil Spring Specs:
    • C59-819V (30mm - 1.25") 440-660lb Load
Is this a good move or bad move... i.e. I need to know more. I have a lifted Jeep... and put some Airlift bags in rear to compensate for sag and trailer. They seem to have worked fine for years even with offroad action, but I mainly use them for towing. They are static when puffed up after all.

THANKS.

OP
OP
gofastdan

gofastdan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Tacoma OR, '08 Mazda MX-5, '20 Volvo V60
Need some advice...

So my Trailhunter build adds equipment (not including more gear).

FRONT is a rack, some lights, bumper, winch. Estimated weight is about 225 lbs. or a bit more.

BACK is a Leitner rack with boxes, bed roof, some lights, Decked drawer and CargoGlide. Estimated weight empty is about 625 lbs.

Weights are estimated at this point; fuel, water, gear will add some more weight towards the back.

DOBSON springs to offset this?

• Front Coil Spring Specs:
    • C59-822 (50mm- 2") 110-220lb Load
  • Rear Coil Spring Specs:
    • C59-819V (30mm - 1.25") 440-660lb Load
Is this a good move or bad move... i.e. I need to know more. I have a lifted Jeep... and put some Airlift bags in rear to compensate for sag and trailer. They seem to have worked fine for years even with offroad action, but I mainly use them for towing. They are static when puffed up after all.

THANKS.
I would call Dobinsons and talk to them. You can try emailing customer support and in my experience they'll get back to you but you may have to go back and forth with them a few times to get the info you need, at least that was my experience. Might just be easier to call if you can find a support number.

That said, at least for the rear springs, I think you're on the right track. That's what I went with and I'm probably carrying more weight but the Trail hunter is heavier than my OR to start with so in the end they're probably pretty similar. I'm on a trip right now from Seattle to Phoenix (currently in southern Oregon close to Crater Lake) and I'm quite happy with my choice. It's mainly a highway drive but I did about 20 miles of nasty dirt roads today and the truck did great.

Your thought on the front spring choice seems reasonable but I'm not sure how different the front suspension on the Trail hunter is compared to my OR. I would definitely consult with Dobinsons. To my knowledge no one has swapped front springs yet.

Definitely let us know what you end up going with and how you like it!

RESQCAT

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks my friend. Have lived in PNW most of my life... other than Europe, stint in southern US, a bit in N Africa and Middle east travel... and missed Crater Lake! So now on my bucket list.

Thanks for the help. Will post when I learn more. Trail Cat is coming along... successor to Rescue Cat.

2ndGen2TrlHntr

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Trailhunter Bronze Oxide; 2018 Audi S5 tuned
My Trailhunter is getting Dobinson's installed as we speak and I get it back tomorrow. I figure that I'm sitting at about ~800 pounds now before loading up the drawers so I went with the heaviest one that is meant for 800 - 1200. I will post some details when I get it back, likely early next week since we're camping this weekend. I took measurements from the center of the tire to the body after the Lone Peak install, then after the bed buildout and will do it post Dobinson's install as well. I forgot to measure it in stock form but I bet I was 1" - 2" down post LP install from factory. I did call Dobinson's before ordering as well as talking to my shop and based on my use case/weight that is what they suggested.

Sponsored

RESQCAT

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks my friend. Have lived in PNW most of my life... other than Europe, stint in southern US, a bit in N Africa and Middle east travel... and missed Crater Lake! So now on my bucket list.

Thanks for the help. Will post when I learn more. Trail Cat is coming along... successor to Rescue Cat.
They are in Florida I think so may have to wait a bit.

RESQCAT

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far I added the Leitner rack and GearPod duals (approx. 160 lbs) and Uptop Kilo rack (40 lbs). Think I will take a measurement before I do any more.

Just did a recalc. I think your spring choice was and is correct for me too. Weight in rear is about 962 if I am correct. See attached.

Attachments

Last edited:

RESQCAT

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Trailhunter is getting Dobinson's installed as we speak and I get it back tomorrow. I figure that I'm sitting at about ~800 pounds now before loading up the drawers so I went with the heaviest one that is meant for 800 - 1200. I will post some details when I get it back, likely early next week since we're camping this weekend. I took measurements from the center of the tire to the body after the Lone Peak install, then after the bed buildout and will do it post Dobinson's install as well. I forgot to measure it in stock form but I bet I was 1" - 2" down post LP install from factory. I did call Dobinson's before ordering as well as talking to my shop and based on my use case/weight that is what they suggested.
Loan Peak Camper is really sweet! Made in Wenatchee, WA, too. I am buying mods from Colorado, so you and I are helping each others' states out!

I own a heavily modified 2021 T@B 320S as my use case is different and my camping is usually an event or the occasional longer SAR mission where I need to get up and go with a base camp to return to.
Sponsored