Failed Transmission Support from Toyota/Dealer

jman1818

First Name
jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd off road
Hi, I bought a 2024 TRD OR in May, and unfortunately after 2.2k miles the transmission has failed. After digging online it seems like this has been an issue that has impacted quite a few owners, and I was wondering if people have received anything from dealers or Toyota Corporate. It seems wrong to have bought a new car and have to get a transmission replacement so early, and the dealership is refusing to make this situation right. Has anyone here received any money or a new truck due to these issues, and if so, how did you go about doing this?
Sponsored

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
You have two options: Let the dealership fix it or Lemon Law it (and that depends solely on the time-frame to fix it/number of attempts to fix).

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
What do you mean the dealer isn’t making it right? There refusing to replace a transmission that is completely failed? What were your symptoms?

OP
OP

jman1818

First Name
jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd off road
What do you mean the dealer isn’t making it right? There refusing to replace a transmission that is completely failed? What were your symptoms?
They are putting in a new transmission under the factory warranty that covers it. That being said, the truck has been at the dealer for three weeks and will likely be there for another two weeks on top of that. I asked if they could write a check for the value of one of my car payments, given the amount of time I won’t have it for and they refused. I guess they don’t have an obligation to do anything besides replace the transmission, I’m just surprised that with a such a new car failing, they aren’t going above and beyond to support their customers.

Sponsored

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
They are putting in a new transmission under the factory warranty that covers it. That being said, the truck has been at the dealer for three weeks and will likely be there for another two weeks on top of that. I asked if they could write a check for the value of one of my car payments, given the amount of time I won’t have it for and they refused. I guess they don’t have an obligation to do anything besides replace the transmission, I’m just surprised that with a such a new car failing, they aren’t going above and beyond to support their customers.
Dealer isn’t obligated too but Toyota corporate might help you out. Give them a call. What was your truck doing to make you realize it was failing? Can you describe in detail to help the group? Check engine light, rough shifts etc? Mines on its way out too and I’m at 1800 miles

OP
OP

jman1818

First Name
jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd off road
Dealer isn’t obligated too but Toyota corporate might help you out. Give them a call. What was your truck doing to make you realize it was failing? Can you describe in detail to help the group? Check engine light, rough shifts etc? Mines on its way out too and I’m at 1800 miles
At first I noticed that it was a little clunky when shifting. Would feel jolts that didn’t feel quite right, and I especially noticed it when going from park to drive/reverse etc… The day it failed I was driving home from work and I lost all low gears. Didn’t put it in “manual” to see which gears, but I could barely accelerate at 30mph due to the fact that it was stuck in higher gears. Check engine light came on as well as a bunch of other lights. Luckily I was close to my dealer and was able to drive the car there immediately.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
At first I noticed that it was a little clunky when shifting. Would feel jolts that didn’t feel quite right, and I especially noticed it when going from park to drive/reverse etc… The day it failed I was driving home from work and I lost all low gears. Didn’t put it in “manual” to see which gears, but I could barely accelerate at 30mph due to the fact that it was stuck in higher gears. Check engine light came on as well as a bunch of other lights. Luckily I was close to my dealer and was able to drive the car there immediately.
Good to know, yeah that’s what mines doing all kinda weird shifts, no engine light yet

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
So it just failed out the blue randomly, that’s why I’m hoping Toyota replaces mine before I’m stuck in that position

Sponsored
OP
OP

jman1818

First Name
jackson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 trd off road
So it just failed out the blue randomly, that’s why I’m hoping Toyota replaces mine before I’m stuck in that position
I could tell it was having issues, but it was like the flip of a switch when it actually failed. Seems it’s only the lower gears that you lose at first which can help you at least get it to a dealership or a safe spot on the road.

Gfenza89

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 tacoma sr5
I could tell it was having issues, but it was like the flip of a switch when it actually failed. Seems it’s only the lower gears that you lose at first which can help you at least get it to a dealership or a safe spot on the road.
Sounds exactly the same scenario im in. I’m right in the sweet spot of complete failure at my mileage and all the signs are there. Hard engagement into drive, reverse, clunks, hard shifts. Question for you though. Did yours do a vibration or shudder right before the truck comes to a stop, shudder or vibration from the rear end?
Sponsored