Sponsored

Gurvy522

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Limited
Decided to do a Blackstone analysis for my first oil change just to see if anything out of the ordinary popped up. Elevated silicon, copper, iron, & aluminum but this is somewhat normal for break-in oil.

I'll probably do another one at 15-20K (3rd change) miles just to see how it's doing, but otherwise a relatively uneventful and expected report.

Anyone else here send their oil off to Blackstone?

2024 Tacoma First Blackstone Engine Oil Analysis - Seems Normal (2024 Tacoma 2.4L I-4 Turbo T24A-FTS) Screenshot_20240925-083350
Sponsored

32spoke

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD OR
I wonder if the molybdenum was
From break-in lube which is sometimes
Used on valve train on new engines… I will send in a sample, just need to get to my first oil change interval-should be soon.

TrustButVerify

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
I wonder if the molybdenum was
From break-in lube which is sometimes
Used on valve train on new engines… I will send in a sample, just need to get to my first oil change interval-should be soon.
It's from the Toyota motor oil.

For a long time they used really high levels of moly. Pretty much higher than anyone else. I don't think the newer formula of Toyota oil includes as much moly.

It was definitely an outlier as far as oils because most oil brands are maybe up to 200 ppm. Valvoline's high endurance synthetic or whatever their flagship oil is uses higher amounts of moly than most other brands. I think around 350ppm.

You'll see it even when people do a second oil sample. They'll swap in something like mobile 1 which has low levels of moly, and the moly will still be triple whats in the M1 formulation due to the retained oil.
Sponsored